native sororities and fraternities...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• native sororities and fraternities...

what do you guys think about native american sororities and fraternities on college campuses? I know soro chicks and frat boys don't have the best reputation in the world...so do you think its wrong and completely untraditional? or good that the natives are sticking together ?

Originally posted by rezgurl4life2005
    what do you guys think about native american sororities and fraternities on college campuses? I know soro chicks and frat boys don't have the best reputation in the world...so do you think its wrong and completely untraditional? or good that the natives are sticking together ?

rezg4,

I lived in a nonIndian fraternity while I was in college (Phi Kappa Psi). I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Out of 24 fraternities that had over 2500 fraternity members, less than 10 of us were identifiably American Indian!

So I can see your concern.

I thought about trying to charter an all Indian men's fraternity. I was going to either call it Tappa Tappa Kega or PI PI PIE Face. *L j/k

anywayz.......

There is now a very strong all American Indian fraternity and sorority at this university. Some of their members are both culturally and academically gifted!

If you are wanting more info, PM me. I can get you their contact information.

p.s. Yes it is good when Natives stick together and support one another through their college experience!
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I agree with Whome... It's good to have friends from other nations all looking out for each other and supporting each other.
      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

From personal experiences....

Originally posted by rezgurl4life2005
        Rezgurl...

From personal experiences I can tell you that the Native American Sororities and Fraternities typically do not cary the negative stigma that people see when they watch movies like "Animal House" or "The Skulls".

If you are able to take a bit of a look into the depths of the inner workings of the organizations, at least as far as the ones started on the East Coast, I think you'll find that they all have some aspects of traditionalism. I think the biggest focus in the devolopment of the Native Greek Organizations is about Brother/Sisterhood b/c there is one thing that sticks in the back of my mind....and it's something my wife said.....and she spoke about how the statistics on Native American women drop out from colleges and universities was so large.

The drive for these organizations...and I preface this with the fact that I am an Alumni and Board Member of a Native American Fraternity that was started here in North Carolina...is building tighter bonds with our brothers and sisters in as many aspects as possible.

LSS
        To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
          I was going to either call it Tappa Tappa Kega or PI PI PIE Face. *L j/k

hahahaha
          SHAKE IT!!!!

Comment

When I went to university in the 80's, there was only about 30 of us Aboriginal students in a university of 12,000. Most of us managed to find each other while we were there though and that was cool. We used to sit down and eat one meal a week together in the cafeteria. If you can do that on a more formal basis and help each other stay in school, then that is great.

Comment

This is what I said on the duplicate post:

I know of Alpha Pi Omega sorority but can't name off hand the native frats out there.
              Poetry is life in print.

https://poetryislifeinprint.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/KarlieCharlesSoftball/

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.