“Do you have Native American DNA?”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scammed!

Someone thought of a way to get rich by matching genetic molecules to determine a match with American Indian DNA.

*L

If your DNA matches 100% to American Indian....

And you don't know what tribe you are and no tribe will accept you.....

Then you can legally only be a "Generic Check Box Indian!"
    Last edited by WhoMe; 04-11-2006, 12:09 PM.
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
      Scammed!

Someone thought of a way to get rich by matching genetic molecules to determine a match with American Indian DNA.

*L

If your DNA matches 100% to American Indian....

And you don't know what tribe you are and no tribe will accept you.....

Then you can legally only be a "Generic Check Box Indian!"
      scam it is... Shame there are people out there who are doing this..

What I was leading up to is the question about the DNA of Natives and how the scientist are trying to prove that immigration to North American was over the land bridge millions of years ago.

Are tribes allowing DNA testing or. are the tribes telling them(scientist) we have our own creation so screw you and your theories?

Comment

Originally posted by greagirl
        (laugh) I've known him for months now. He's one of the old timers and big posters here. He's my post daddy. (laugh)

I dared him to meet me here to clown last night and of course he did, not being able to resist my "magnetic personality"... (laugh) Of course I did manage to add his house keys to the collection of things sticking to me so that could have been the real reason.

I think most people here are intimidated by me in one way or another because I'm so brash. So they just sit back and read and don't jump into the fray. Same when I go into the chat room.

I trust I have another fan here....at least one not afraid to mention it in public. (laugh) Now, I'm off pretending to work again.

Enjoy!

Salacious in Slate

Grea.
        sigpic
        TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Count me in...

Not afraid to say it....I'm a fan!!Go on witcherr bad self!!....keep smilin'1

Comment

Originally posted by apacheheart
            Not afraid to say it....I'm a fan!!Go on witcherr bad self!!....keep smilin'1
            You do realize that now you will be added to the do not call list? (grin)
            If life gives you lemons, find the bloody ******* who sent them to you, pelt them with lemons and then ask them how the hell they like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Bear
              scam it is... Shame there are people out there who are doing this..

What I was leading up to is the question about the DNA of Natives and how the scientist are trying to prove that immigration to North American was over the land bridge millions of years ago.

Are tribes allowing DNA testing or. are the tribes telling them(scientist) we have our own creation so screw you and your theories?
              Mama,

There are several answers to your several questions.

I feel this is a scam with no basis. If you're an American Indian based on DNA, so what?

Science has one view. Individual Indian tribes have another. One thing most people do not consider is our tribal creation stories. Very few tribes believe that they crossed a great ice bridge to get to this land.

Instead they believe they came to their original homelands from the stars, heavens, under the earth, hills, mountains, valleys, rivers, islands, oceans and canyon.

These are the versions of creation that American Indian and First Nations people have passed on to the next generations for centuries upon centuries.

Most tribes are not concerned about DNA testing to determine Indianness. There are much bigger and immediate problems confronting each tribe at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                Mama,

There are several answers to your several questions.

I feel this is a scam with no basis. If you're an American Indian based on DNA, so what?

Science has one view. Individual Indian tribes have another. One thing most people do not consider is our tribal creation stories. Very few tribes believe that they crossed a great ice bridge to get to this land.

Instead they believe they came to their original homelands from the stars, heavens, under the earth, hills, mountains, valleys, rivers, islands, oceans and canyon.

These are the versions of creation that American Indian and First Nations people have passed on to the next generations for centuries upon centuries.

Most tribes are not concerned about DNA testing to determine Indianness. There are much bigger and immediate problems confronting each tribe at this time.
                I totally agree with you on all points, especially about more immediate problems.

Science is one thing and Tradition, and Culture are another.

I just feel science is opening too many doors with out enough links or consideration to the past . Digging up graves and desecrating bodies to try and track where the humans originally came from in their eyes.
                Scientist are a funny breed!

Why do they discredit traditional creation stories and force their views on the public.
                I guess it all boils down to what you believe, Creation or Evolution, eh?

Comment

I'm sorry greagirl but I sit here reading your posts and sometimes it comes across being snooty and mis-informed.

You say you would never live on a reservation (unless you got married, don't know what that means but whatever) but have you ever been to one? Some tribes have reservations on their original homelands, close to their sacred areas or sites. If you belonged to one of these tribes would you still say the same thing? It comes off kinda condescending when you say that.

Even though reservations have problems (as do all areas) i would imagine that being around your family and culture had benefits that just can't be quantified.

Just having Native blood (or DNA) doesn't automatically mean you have the right to claim *being* Native. You need to have a connection to your family, community and culture. Which it sounds like you don't because you mention that all you learned about Native cultures you got from books and TV, which of course we all know is a good way to learn about Native people. (yeah, right.) No it does not nullify the fact that you have Native blood in you but it doens't allow you to speak as a Native person.

That's the view I fear that people who take these DNA tests might have. The view that "Well I'm 5%/10%/15% Native, so that means I have Native DNA and I can talk about all things Native." Then they sign up for a shamanism workshop and start building their own sweatlodge in their backyard. Or say stupid things like "I'm 15% Native and I don't see anything wrong with Native people being used as mascots."

Get what I'm sayin?
                  Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Jeez....

You do realize that now you will be added to the do not call list? (grin)
                    ...Wore out my welcome already....took longer than I thought(lol)...keep smilin'1

Comment

Originally posted by Mama Bear
                      Scientist are a funny breed!

Why do they discredit traditional creation stories and force their views on the public.
                      I guess it all boils down to what you believe, Creation or Evolution, eh?

Mama,

Foremost, we need to share our stories among our own people.... FIRST (as opposed to telling them to outsiders and having them write a book and listing theirselves as the authors).

Many Indians and First Nations do not know or have lost many of their traditional stories, for two reasons.

1. Most young Natives of this present generation have learned from a government standardized education system that does not value traditional teaching. Hence, achievement in math and reading proficiency are "more important" than cultural stories and tradition.

2. Most young Natives of this present generation do not have immediate access to elders, historians or cultural resources to learn creation stories or origin accounts. Most of these "traditional stories" are told in Native languages. We are losing our language speakers who know these stories in their entirety.

__

Science has a way of discrediting traditional beliefs.
                      Last edited by WhoMe; 04-11-2006, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't pay $2-300 to find out what I already know ... and if I didn't know it in the first place, well I can't answer that question. Maybe I'd want to know, then. SO who know. Ayes.
                        "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                        Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wakalapi
                          Personally, I wouldn't pay $2-300 to find out what I already know ... and if I didn't know it in the first place, well I can't answer that question. Maybe I'd want to know, then. SO who know. Ayes.
                          i agree and i agree too that its a scam as Whome pointed out...theres been too much controversy about western science wanting our dna and i know there was a delegation that spoke before the UN about protecting and safeguarding our dna...im not very clear on the details but i know that science having our dna and mapping it has been an issue and a concern...i have to wonder if the dna testing available is part of that whole line of thinking,mapping etc and another way around oppostition to it...if it was submitted voluntarily,then who could complain? just a few thoughts
                          sigpic
                          TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Comment

Originally posted by kgirl7
                            I'm sorry greagirl but I sit here reading your posts and sometimes it comes across being snooty and mis-informed.

You say you would never live on a reservation (unless you got married, don't know what that means but whatever) but have you ever been to one? Some tribes have reservations on their original homelands, close to their sacred areas or sites. If you belonged to one of these tribes would you still say the same thing? It comes off kinda condescending when you say that.

Even though reservations have problems (as do all areas) i would imagine that being around your family and culture had benefits that just can't be quantified.

Just having Native blood (or DNA) doesn't automatically mean you have the right to claim *being* Native. You need to have a connection to your family, community and culture. Which it sounds like you don't because you mention that all you learned about Native cultures you got from books and TV, which of course we all know is a good way to learn about Native people. (yeah, right.) No it does not nullify the fact that you have Native blood in you but it doens't allow you to speak as a Native person.

That's the view I fear that people who take these DNA tests might have. The view that "Well I'm 5%/10%/15% Native, so that means I have Native DNA and I can talk about all things Native." Then they sign up for a shamanism workshop and start building their own sweatlodge in their backyard. Or say stupid things like "I'm 15% Native and I don't see anything wrong with Native people being used as mascots."

Get what I'm sayin?
                            I only *sound* snooty and condescending? I thought I *was* snooty and condescending. (laugh) Most of my rezzy info has come from the mouths of varous people from various rezs as well. I don't ever, ever, ever say that I'm Native. No one can claim that I ever said that. I said that I am *part *Native because a Native man stuck his Native man bone in my Great Granny. End of story. You can like it, you can not but it was done quite some time ago and I'm afraid quite irreversible.

I 100% stand by everything I have said. Those who don't like it can read another thread or simply ignore me. I don't believe in your manifest destiny and you can't make me. I will speak what I wish as I wish.

As ever....

Grea.
                            If life gives you lemons, find the bloody ******* who sent them to you, pelt them with lemons and then ask them how the hell they like it.

Comment

Originally posted by apacheheart
                              ...Wore out my welcome already....took longer than I thought(lol)...keep smilin'1
                              Can't talk now I have an angry monkey on my back. (laugh) Not everyone gets me Apache....

Comment

Can't talk now I have an angry monkey on my back. (laugh) Not everyone gets me Apache....
                                Fellow sea monkey or one of those pesky land monkeys again??....MAN BONE??....HA HAAAAAAAHH!!.......keep smilin'1,....and remember"wet or dry,s**t always smells the same,so don't get any on you.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X