Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the issue of wannabes,fakes etc important to you??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    dont make us put you in timeout again

    The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
      dont make us put you in timeout again
      LMAO to funny....

      Comment


      • #48
        you wasnt looking to get spanked were you? cuz we dont do that here, this is a good wholsom family program.

        the issue of wannabes and fakes irritates me more in matters of intellectual cultural property and spiritual matters than it does in material matters. having a federal card isnt going to make anyones work any better,not having one doesnt make it any less. quality is quality and id rather a person hang thier reputation on quality before heritage.
        however, these goofs selling sweat lodge retreats and mock sundances all need to be hanged

        The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

        Comment


        • #49
          Spankings are done in the Official Timmy Tiger and 50 Cal thread.LOL

          Comment


          • #50
            To me it would be the reason why people need to fake or be a wannabe. Most of the time it is about money and the worst people who make it alright for people to fake are other ndns. I know a non-ndn who carves on wood and silver. He can't make any money on his own but pays some ndn to go into the art gallery or set up at Native Art show and sell the stuff as their own. The ndn selling it gets a small amount of money and gets recognition for doing next to nothing. The non-ndn gets more money for his artwork than he would if he sold it in his name. Does that bother me yes but then I am not like the ndn who has no skills to do anything, no prospect of getting a job; he exists on welfare for whatever reason. Do I hate this ndn, no but I don't approve of him selling his soul for a few shillings. The complexion challenged person is only trying to make money for himself. Who is at fault. I also don't like ndns who are not from our territory selling their artwork as coastal art. They are from somewhere else than the coast. I have told one guy that he isn't making Haida art; it may be Haida style but he isn't Haida. The reason is these individuals don't know anything about our culture or heritage yet they are able to make ****loads of money, and I do mean a lot. It would like me going to another part of the country and saying that I was from there to make money. As an example, I know of somebody who was commissioned to make a 20' totem and he is making $800.00 per foot. He is selling it as Coast Salish Art and he is from Saskatchewan. I have a problem with that. They undercut some real good artists who are actually from my terrritory. One of my cousins gets between $1,500.00 and 1,800.00 per foot. He was born and raised in our land; he was trained by a well known artist. He lives on one of the local rez's and he also teaches some of our youth to do art. He charges so much a foot because he guarantees that the art is 100% Coast Salish art. So sometimes, it bothers me if somebody is a fake or wannabe.

            Comment


            • #51
              The problem that I have noticed is that Wannabes and many Fakes do not unserstand many of the undermeanings of what they hear and observe. It takes a life time of living this life style to understand the undertones of what we do and talk about. We also need to understand that many of these things vary from Tribes to Tribes and Nation to Nation. Many call this inside info.
              BOB

              Comment


              • #52
                watch these short vids

                this is what we here, get to look forward to when the wannabe's throw a pow-wow here in missouri or southern Illinois......blah


                YouTube - 2007 pow-wow in Cahokia

                YouTube - Cahokia Powwow 2006


                can you imagine living around these clowns? they end up in our schools talkin to kids in them ridiculous costumes...yes, they hire a ndn singer and he is suppose to bring his ontourage, then it ends up to be two or three singers around the drum. we use to have kick *** pow-wows at Jefferson Barracks then it moved to Cahokia Mounds, oklahoma, nebraska, kansas ndns use to come, but now its come to this in them videos...

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
                  you wasnt looking to get spanked were you? cuz we dont do that here, this is a good wholsom family program.

                  the issue of wannabes and fakes irritates me more in matters of intellectual cultural property and spiritual matters than it does in material matters. having a federal card isnt going to make anyones work any better,not having one doesnt make it any less. quality is quality and id rather a person hang thier reputation on quality before heritage.
                  however, these goofs selling sweat lodge retreats and mock sundances all need to be hanged

                  lol still law is law.....
                  I understand there are non natives that can rock the socks off when it comes to craft work which is fine, they are not claiming to be indian and not selling as indian BUT when the line is crossed and non natives are selling items as ndn made, then thats when the law comes into effect. and I seen some bad stuff made by non natives lol....

                  no law against sweats or sundance they get by with the "freedom of religion act" blah, but what goes around comes around and they get theirs, eventually........IMO

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by CHEROSAGE View Post
                    The problem that I have noticed is that Wannabes and many Fakes do not unserstand many of the undermeanings of what they hear and observe. It takes a life time of living this life style to understand the undertones of what we do and talk about. We also need to understand that many of these things vary from Tribes to Tribes and Nation to Nation. Many call this inside info.

                    problem is wannabe's and many fakes think that pow-wows are our sacred get together...lol

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Hey, I've been to ones like that before. But I choose not to go back because of the craziness.

                      But it's not even just that they think that a pow wow is a sacred ceramony of some kind, it's even (sometimes) more then that. They will lump all Tribes together as one and expect everyone to follow what they have learned or if you don't, they will actually come up to you and tell you that you are all wrong and proceed to try to teach you what is right based on what they have learned from this one or that one or what they have read in a book.

                      Again, I have a friend who is a tribal member born and raised on a res. She was at a pow wow one time and went into an inter-tribal with her granddaughter. A man who claimed to be of one tribe (but learning another) approached her (in the circle) and told her that she was in the wrong and had "no business" being in that circle. She was horrified. He proceeded to tell her what he was taught and why she was wrong. He knew what tribe she comes from, but he didn't care. To this day, she won't go out in the circle (except for when she's at home, now) and dance because of this. She's not as mouthy as I am.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by kiowakat View Post

                        no law against sweats or sundance they get by with the "freedom of religion act" blah, but what goes around comes around and they get theirs, eventually........IMO

                        im feeling chairitable,..... hang 'em anyway

                        The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
                          im feeling chairitable,..... hang 'em anyway
                          I like that idea. I'm game.LMAO

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
                            Hey, I've been to ones like that before. But I choose not to go back because of the craziness.

                            But it's not even just that they think that a pow wow is a sacred ceramony of some kind, it's even (sometimes) more then that. They will lump all Tribes together as one and expect everyone to follow what they have learned or if you don't, they will actually come up to you and tell you that you are all wrong and proceed to try to teach you what is right based on what they have learned from this one or that one or what they have read in a book.

                            Again, I have a friend who is a tribal member born and raised on a res. She was at a pow wow one time and went into an inter-tribal with her granddaughter. A man who claimed to be of one tribe (but learning another) approached her (in the circle) and told her that she was in the wrong and had "no business" being in that circle. She was horrified. He proceeded to tell her what he was taught and why she was wrong. He knew what tribe she comes from, but he didn't care. To this day, she won't go out in the circle (except for when she's at home, now) and dance because of this. She's not as mouthy as I am.
                            Let me guess the area...
                            East of the Mississippi, south and east a bit
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by kiowakat View Post
                              problem is wannabe's and many fakes think that pow-wows are our sacred get together...lol
                              I witnessed that craziness first hand
                              just shook my head and said man o man over and over
                              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                              Till I Die!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
                                While the Creek side of my family was pretty well documented, the Cherokee side wasn't.......so it helps I've been down that road.

                                I have to admit, I get kind of weary of folks coming up and giving vague declarations of their heritage or wanting to tell you their ENTIRE family genealogy in hopes that you could confirm their heritage.

                                Used to be I just shrug and wish them luck and walk away..........but maybe by giving folks a "push" in the right direction they can find out "who they are.....and what people they come from" and maybe it will stop some of these vague declarations.
                                Good post! I can relate to that. I used to work in the tourism industry, and i'd get alot of people who come through asking about their genelogy. Alot of them did not know which tribe they were from, and just would expect me to know, but I couldn't. It was crazy!

                                I pretty much told them to start on their family tree, and go from there.
                                Bead All You Can Bead

                                Comment

                                Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                                widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

                                Trending

                                Collapse

                                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                                Sidebar Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X