Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been approached many times to buy "birds". I, like a poster be-4 stated see the power from where and how it comes to you. If you had to buy them, you have not right to wear them. So i never would or will. If you deserve them, they will find their way to you. Like wise, mistreated one can find thier way outta there.

Originally posted by billyjoejimbob
    ya gotta love how people are so willing to give their names and how they got feathers.

funny that the 2 people who commented were 1/8th cherokee and white.
    ??????????
    If you'll wear 'em @ a public dance, what is the diference in posting here about 'em. billyjoejimbob i never noticed a racist remark before in your posts, Am I readin' it wrong?
    Some folks may take offense @ being called white and 1\8.
    You' can be less than that and still legally own "birds".
    What's up wit dat?
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW

Comment

Originally posted by lostsalt
      I've been approached many times to buy "birds". I, like a poster be-4 stated see the power from where and how it comes to you. If you had to buy them, you have not right to wear them. So i never would or will. If you deserve them, they will find their way to you. Like wise, mistreated one can find thier way outta there.

??????????
      If you'll wear 'em @ a public dance, what is the diference in posting here about 'em. billyjoejimbob i never noticed a racist remark before in your posts, Am I readin' it wrong?
      Some folks may take offense @ being called white and 1\8.
      You' can be less than that and still legally own "birds".
      What's up wit dat?
      I'm interested to know where you can be 1/8th and legally obtain eagle feathers? Is it one of those tribes that accepts very low blood quantum or what. As far as I know you must be 1/4th and enrolled in a Federally Recognized Tribe, to obtain the feathers and receive a legal permit to have them. I know that they can be given to another family member as long as they are native also. I'm just curious that is all. This is what is wrong, too many white people making claims on the little amount of birds the eagle repository receives each year. I betcha if the govt. really investigated all those claims, they'd find a lot of bogus ndns in their paperwork.

Comment

Not a racist remark, just an observation.

It seems that (from my POV) the people with less NDN blood to none are the ones who speak about things the most when it comes to certain things, especially when they shouldn't.

"Whispering" e-a-g-l-e is just retarted. C'mon now, how may indian people NDN would say that? If he acquired them in the 60's when they were legal, why does her need to be so secretive?

And if you got them "from a freind" who got the 'legally' why say that at all.

If you have to bring up the law or put the responsibility on someone else, you shouldnt be wearing them.

1/8 is sufficient enough for some tribes but not others.

I guess I may have been a little racist or off color since I was 'thinking' bad things about the 1/8 Cherokee in the article

The question is...why not just say CHEROKEE? Why do people have to use 1/4 or 1/8 when they mention their tribe? When I hear people say 1/8 or 1/4 it makes me NOT believe them as much.

Its like the grandother who is a cherokee princess. Was there really NDN princess's?
        There are 2 types of people in the world...
        Really stupid people who think they are smart
        and
        Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Originally posted by WocusWoman
          I'm interested to know where you can be 1/8th and legally obtain eagle feathers? Is it one of those tribes that accepts very low blood quantum or what. As far as I know you must be 1/4th and enrolled in a Federally Recognized Tribe, to obtain the feathers and receive a legal permit to have them. I know that they can be given to another family member as long as they are native also. I'm just curious that is all. This is what is wrong, too many white people making claims on the little amount of birds the eagle repository receives each year. I betcha if the govt. really investigated all those claims, they'd find a lot of bogus ndns in their paperwork.
          That should be 1/4th OR enrolled !
          Some tribes like the Cherokee and the Choctaw do not have a blood quantum. They are allowed membership via verifiable lineage. There may be other tribes that do this also , but those are the 2 I knew of.
          I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
          It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

I just heard from someone else on the board (who shall remain nameless) about a certain person in a certain article about feathers.......and Im sticking by my guns.

How about everyone downplays traditional and starts liking chicken and grass this way all the money grubbers pick up the less eagle feather adorned styles. Im sure it will work.

DOWN WITH TRADITIONAL DANCING!!!

imagine that!

Fine, take away my rep points!!!
            and

Comment

The question is...why not just say CHEROKEE? Why do people have to use 1/4 or 1/8 when they mention their tribe? When I hear people say 1/8 or 1/4 it makes me NOT believe them as much.
              Yeah, what's with that?? Why can't this guy be proud of being 7/8 white?! Now that's a believable percentage!!

hahaha
              C-trad

Comment

Originally posted by contemptradish
                Yeah, what's with that?? Why can't this guy be proud of being 7/8 white?! Now that's a believable percentage!!

hahaha

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

That's really Heavy Duty Man!!! Ho Wah!!!!

I'm almost at a loss for words here, which is rare thing for this skin... But All I have to say is that:

It is dishonorable to get feathers in that manner. That is bad medicine. Feathers are earned or inherited.

That article made me aggravated then sad...

It was an interesting read and it needs to be spread.
                  sigpic

Comment

Disclosure. If somebody just said Cherokee and left out the fact that they were 1/8 or 1/4 only, and you later found that out, wouldn't you feel misled? Besides, it can be complicated being mixed blood - always having to explain to the Indians about the non-Indian ways you have and explaining to the non-Indians about the Indian ways you have and all of them looking at you like you're touched in the head. You just get into the habit of describing your lineage up front to save yourself the aggravation later.

Comment

good point.

well, we can just use the "dont askk, dont tell" POV. seems to work in the armed forces.....or does it?

As a white guy, I dont really care about someones percentage. I would assume NDNs feel the opposite. All I care about is that you arent spreading false facts or using your status to gain anything.
                      and

Comment

good point.

All I care about is that you arent spreading false facts or using your status to gain anything.
                        Yep, that's pretty much what matters.

Comment

"Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles".

Pow Wow's aren't the biggest killer of eagles. People are the biggest killer of eagles. People with no traditions. Among the traditional people on the plains, eagle feathers are earned for acts of bravery. Maybe we need to start calling on those people wearing those feathers and have them tell their stories of bravery to the people, like the veteran's do when they pick up a feather.

Now that would be interesting to hear.
                          Sahnish

"There is nothing more dangerous than ignorance in action."

Comment

sorry, can't stop jokin'

Ok, so what would REALLY be funny is to bring up the folks in turkey and pigeon feather bustles and ask them how they earned THOSE little beauties!!! haha

Originally posted by Sahnish
                            Pow Wow's aren't the biggest killer of eagles. People are the biggest killer of eagles. People with no traditions. Among the traditional people on the plains, eagle feathers are earned for acts of bravery. Maybe we need to start calling on those people wearing those feathers and have them tell their stories of bravery to the people, like the veteran's do when they pick up a feather.

C-trad

Comment

Originally posted by Sahnish

I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by contemptradish
                                Ok, so what would REALLY be funny is to bring up the folks in turkey and pigeon feather bustles and ask them how they earned THOSE little beauties!!! haha

I can picture it now:

Someone comes up to the microphone and announces his name as chief of the XXX nation. He then proceeds to tell of the bravery he has in rescuing the feathers from a lowlife grubby guy who had them in a paper bag. He rescued them at a great cost. 20 bucks a feather. Yea RIGHT!!!!!!!! SURE!!!!

Then there's the guy who will proudly announces that his eagle feathers on his bustle are "genuine immatation hand painted eagle feathers" Blessed be the turkey who gave his life for those eagle feathers. The turkey tasted great too! LOL!!!

Now with the funny stuff out of the way. I have some great feathers for sale. Bright yellow and green. My canary feathers make a great bustle for a G.I. Joe doll.

Most kids have toy circus stuff and cowboy and indian stuff. Why can't our kids have toy powwow stuff to play with.

Hey! It's only fair.

Oops!!! I shouldn't have said anything until I got the patent on the idea. Matel Toys may be watching.

Any Hoo...... Anyone who sells eagle anything should scalped then shot at sunset. WoW!!! What a great opening to a 49
                                Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X