X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be or not to be...

Originally posted by nativeproud View Post
    Just read my signature. It speaks volume, and has helped my through alot.
    If I say: I am Indian, then I speak, do, wear, walk, think, dream, respect, love, help, sing and dance as indian here and there! - My blood could have german roots, but my heart beats as the drums with indian lifestyle.... with indian respect and honour always, caring for the Mother Earth, the father Wind, our grandparents heritage, our little brothers the animals, the trees... - The Red Road is my Path, our Path... We are or we are not, but in my case, I am a red warrior woman, I was born in indian land and proud to be an Aztec Indian. Love you, Cuetzpallincihuatl.
    Cuetzpallincihuatl, the Aztec Indian.

Comment

Aho!
      Come together, right now....Over me.

Comment

eagle KILLER

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
        In a recent story by the Wall Street Journal Eddie Benally, a Navajo conservation officer was quoted as saying that "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles".

You can read the article here, reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
        Powwows' Popularity

While PowWows.com supports all Eagle feather policies and regulations, we are interested in hearing your thoughts on this story.

Please see information about our support of Eagle feather policies:
        http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=36453

Are Pow Wows causing an increase in the sales of Eagle feathers?

Is there a "Black Market" for feathers and birds?
        well first of all you need to take a look at the tribes that are getting involved in these pow wows before you start blaming. That's where you'll find the EAGLE KILLERS. I get my eagle from the migratory act. I use them for traditional purposes ONLY! I respect this bird and we use his feathers to carry our prayers. Ask for permission from the elders before making or putting on an outfit. Now days it is just for money and not for your spiritual healing . that's all

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
          But do you all think it is as big a problem as the article implies?

Are Pow Wows really the biggest killer of Eagles?
          A pow-wow is, in a sense, a function, functions do not kill eagles, or anything else for that matter. I find it absurd to be blaming POW-WOWS for the kills of these sacred birds. People kill them, not functions. I think the reporters just need to get their heads out of their butts and realize that its not the function that's killing these birds, its people who don't know what the heck their doing.

As for the people selling these feathers on the black market, well...there's just no excuse, and i doubt even Einstein could come up with one at this point, its senseless, and honestly immature.

I read that someone said something about asking where some people get their feathers and i agree 100%, if we start asking questions, they'll start backing down in fear that they will get caught.
          Metasonya
          only if you say so

Comment

no

no we are not the biggest killers to eagles. Big companys R

Comment

Around this rez up in Northwestern Ontario... those looking for eagle feathers go out in the forest/bush to where their nests are and pick up ones they find fallen to the ground.

Why can't that happen anywhere else?

Comment

Because people are too impatient. And it sucks for us non registered natives too, cuz evfen if we find the feather on the ground we can still face jailtime and fines if we're caught with them.

Comment

Legal Stuff

NativeProud and others,

Actually even if you were FED, you still need documentation of the feathers. This is the LAW. Unfortunatley, many have never really read the law - either the Migratory Bird Act or the Eagle Protection Act or other Animal Protection Acts.

They are very long and very complicated in wording (lots of legal verbatim). But it clearly states that any and all Animal Parts must be documented for use (Biological, Religous, Educational or whatever) AND this includes the need for documentation even by BIA Native Americans.

The State and Federal offices rarely pursue one that is FED because of the long crap it may entail - BUT that does not mean that they will not and they have many times.

Many "BIA Indians" think they are protected just because of the BIA status they hold. But that "BIA CARD" is not a blanket to have Animal Parts that are protected.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
                    NativeProud and others,

Actually even if you were FED, you still need documentation of the feathers. This is the LAW. Unfortunately, many have never really read the law - either the Migratory Bird Act or the Eagle Protection Act or other Animal Protection Acts.

They are very long and very complicated in wording (lots of legal verbatim). But it clearly states that any and all Animal Parts must be documented for use (Biological, Religious, Educational or whatever) AND this includes the need for documentation even by BIA Native Americans.

The State and Federal offices rarely pursue one that is FED because of the long crap it may entail - BUT that does not mean that they will not and they have many times.

Many "BIA Indians" think they are protected just because of the BIA status they hold. But that "BIA CARD" is not a blanket to have Animal Parts that are protected.
                    It use to be a serious pain in the *** to apply for and receive Feathers.
                    Well I am here to tell you it is no longer true
                    The forms are on line you download them and fill them out
                    You only have to get certification from your tribe of record just once after that they are on file with the Eagle Permit Office
                    Actually it is just a question of time
                    I applied in Sept 2005 and received my Eagle Wings in Oct2006
                    Of course I only wanted to make a fan
                    I am told the Whole bird can take several years!
                    After receiving the wings I have reapplied for a Tail set and should get them after another years wait.
                    The point is this, it does not take much time and energy to fill out the paperwork and send it in. After you receive your Feathers you have documentation which you are to carry with you while the fan is in your possession.
                    I have made several copies and have them in several locations
                    Easy peesy

Forms: http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-15.pdf
                    http://www.fws.gov/permits/forms/eaglereligious.pdf

ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                    Till I Die!

Comment

Josiah , That's great on the wing set , but you may be mistaken on the time issue for a tail set.....
                      I was told , by the guys at the repository , that a whole tail would take as long to get as a whole bird. Now , this may have changed since I ordered last. I ordered another wing set last Feb. and I expect to get it in March. You can order 20 misc. feathers(which is whatever they send) and the wait is about 90 days. 10 select (which is 8 wing and 2 tail)and the wait is 120 days (6 months) , a wing set about a year , and a whole tail or a whole bird in about 3 years. Now this is what Dennis at the repository told me , last time I spoke with him. You can also add parts , ie: head , feet , to any order except a whole bird.

For your sake I hope it's changed and you can get a tail in a year ! If so that'll be my next order ! LOL
                      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Josiah , That's great on the wing set , but you may be mistaken on the time issue for a tail set.....
                        I was told , by the guys at the repository , that a whole tail would take as long to get as a whole bird. Now , this may have changed since I ordered last. I ordered another wing set last Feb. and I expect to get it in March. You can order 20 misc. feathers(which is whatever they send) and the wait is about 90 days. 10 select (which is 8 wing and 2 tail)and the wait is 120 days (6 months) , a wing set about a year , and a whole tail or a whole bird in about 3 years. Now this is what Dennis at the repository told me , last time I spoke with him. You can also add parts , ie: head , feet , to any order except a whole bird.

For your sake I hope it's changed and you can get a tail in a year ! If so that'll be my next order ! LOL
                        I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                        It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

It just amazes me how the government can basically keep us from performing our "religion", because THEY killed all the animals.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeproud View Post
                            It just amazes me how the government can basically keep us from performing our "religion", because THEY killed all the animals.
                            Ain't that the truth.... I have to say that I agree with you in that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by wardancer View Post

Too funny!!!
                              Right after I posted that ,I went back and reread the document and found toward the bottom the wait times and realized it would be 3 years and discovered that I could have ordered 10 feather sets!!!
                              I will be making a phone call Monday to see if it is possible to change my order
                              Oh well if not I have 2 more years to wait :(
                              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                              Till I Die!

Comment

I have had quit a few friends order Eagles from the Repository. Most of them tell me the same thing. It takes about 4 years for the full Eagle. And many of them got the same phone call in three years saying that there was a bald Eagle available for them if they wanted that instead of the Golden, it depends on which one that you want. Some did, other's did not. I know that if you go to the BIA office on your res. that they will give you the paperwork and I believe that they will help you fill it out, or fill it out for you and then you just sign it. I know someone who did this at least they did for the person that I know. I have another friend about to order theirs and they are asking me to help them. Not that I can do all that much, but that's okay.LOL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.