I am bewildered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am bewildered

It seems as if most of us Indians have given up on the pow wow trail. I use to attend no matter how few of us there were but now even the die hards are staying away. It has become the unspoken word.

The only pow wow's that I can find my people at are tribal. Is anyone else seeing this?

Another thing for me. I will not pay money to be at a pow wow. That is not what they are suppose to be. There was a time where if you whipped out your card you got in free. Now all this inter-tribal pow wow things are cropping up and they want you to pay to be there.

The out fits at some of the smaller ones, and I mean outfits are horrid. What is happening? I am so bewildered and sad to see this chnage and the mis-representation of us.

Agreed - somewhat

I agree with some of this.

Now there will be many that may read this thread and say this is way wrong and some have no idea what they are talking about - because Native American Events are pentiful and some are huge in population. But that is just it - we must look at the big picture and that is our powwow culture has become way too COMERCIALIZED.

The concept of "TRADITIONAL" has become overshadowed with the advent of so much "new" stuff. Stuff that did not even exist in the powwow culture (or even our culture) until after 1950 with a great deal of it appearing in the "me generation of the 1980's and the X generatin of the 1990's."

Now as for paying - that depends. I have no problem with paying at an event that I know the money is being used wisely and especially if the organization promoting the event has set up some kind of fund in which the money will be used wisely. I willing pay at events that have any kind of non-profit status or 501(c)(3) status. They have public records and you can check if need be to make sure that the money is used wisely to help whatever group the non-profit has been set up for.

I do have a problem paying at events in which the money is purely monetary and things are over priced like the parking and the entrance fee and espescially the competition fee if any (I don't compete) and those that don't compete should not have to pay the same price just to dance.

I would love to see a true traditional powwow - one where you put away some of the modern at least for a shot period of time. For example: I have been to both traditional Russian Festivals and Japanese Festivals. And they were truly traditional. No body had on any modern concepts or modern versions of the traditional clothing of either cultue. Alll was correct for a certain time period from the head gear to the foot gear. I was very impressed. In fact at one Japanese event they even asked everybody to leave all modern tech at home or in the car.

It would be nice to see a powwow with no use of plastic, fake leather, vinyl, tape, rayon, synthetics, powwow buttons, athletic shoes, etc. etc. and etc. BUT that is a great deal to ask for.
    Last edited by Tom Iron Eagle; 05-22-2007, 03:06 PM. Reason: Content

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
      I agree with some of this.

Now there will be many that may read this thread and say this is way wrong and some have no idea what they are talking about - because Native American Events are pentiful and some are huge in population. But that is just it - we must look at the big picture and that is our powwow culture has become way too COMERCIALIZED.

The concept of "TRADITIONAL" has become overshadowed with the advent of so much "new" stuff. Stuff that did not even exist in the powwow culture (or even our culture) until after 1950 with a great deal of it appearing in the "me generation of the 1980's and the X generatin of the 1990's."

Now as for paying - that depends. I have no problem with paying at an event that I know the money is being used wisely and especially if the organization promoting the event has set up some kind of fund in which the money will be used wisely. I willing pay at events that have any kind of non-profit status or 501(c)(3) status. They have public records and you can check if need be to make sure that the money is used wisely to help whatever group the non-profit has been set up for.

I do have a problem paying at events in which the money is purely monetary and things are over priced like the parking and the entrance fee and espescially the competition fee if any (I don't compete) and those that don't compete should not have to pay the same price just to dance.

I would love to see a true traditional powwow - one where you put away some of the modern at least for a shot period of time. For example: I have been to both traditional Russian Festivals and Japanese Festivals. And they were truly traditional. No body had on any modern concepts or modern versions of the traditional clothing of either cultue. Alll was correct for a certain time period from the head gear to the foot gear. I was very impressed. In fact at one Japanese event they even asked everybody to leave all modern tech at home or in the car.

It would be nice to see a powwow with no use of plastic, fake leather, vinyl, tape, rayon, synthetics, powwow buttons, athletic shoes, etc. etc. and etc. BUT that is a great deal to ask for.

mmmmmmm well I am going to do my darndest to find a real gathering. I am starting to feel like the pow wows are a hidden genocide. Please do not take that wrong but my heart is broken at what is happening to our ways. We have lost enough, we owe it to try to make a change for the good and what is happening now is a disgrace.

Comment

Yeah, things change...so what? Doesn't mean you have to. Are you helping to lead by example or just griping? Sounds like the latter to me. Instead of being so negative, why don't you go to pow wows and dance your style or sing your style and don't worry about what everyone else is doing?
        I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Know where you come from and it will enable you to get where your going....

Alot of growth (in all different directions) has taken place....Although you learn to adapt and move on in a positive way....Yes some powwows have grown or were developed to reflect a commercial ideal, but there certainly are good times had at both "commercial" and Tradish doings....Its real easy to slam things right across the board, but when you stop and think.....that doing may not be all that bad after all....So I suppose if you can't draw anything positive from it, well to me thats pretty weak...So in the initial direction of this thread i'll concur to some extent, but encourage the individaul who started the thread to move about some, or even they may just find right under their nose the good times they remember.....
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

My parents used to talk about this one pow-wow in Oklahoma called the Ed Macs pow-wow or something like that. They said it was in Shawnee. It was a non-competition pow-wow but they said it was one of the biggest pow-wows in Oklahoma.

I can't imagine a non-competition pow-wow being very big nowadays. People only seem to go where the money is. and Where the money isn't, wierd things seems to take place. haha
            The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post
              Alot of growth (in all different directions) has taken place....Although you learn to adapt and move on in a positive way....Yes some powwows have grown or were developed to reflect a commercial ideal, but there certainly are good times had at both "commercial" and Tradish doings....Its real easy to slam things right across the board, but when you stop and think.....that doing may not be all that bad after all....So I suppose if you can't draw anything positive from it, well to me thats pretty weak...So in the initial direction of this thread i'll concur to some extent, but encourage the individaul who started the thread to move about some, or even they may just find right under their nose the good times they remember.....

The last pow wow I attended was last year and it was as sad an event as many others have become. Obviously a few of you are not understanding my point. Being at a pow wow and dressing up like an Indian does not make one. That is what I have been seeing. The last one I was at there were 7 of us. The closest Tribe is less than an hour away. All the rest there were people playing Indian.

That does not make me a bad person to write about it. It makes me concerned. We use to gather and have such fun at our pow wow's. Now it has become an event for many to play dress up and be Indian for a day or a weekend. None of these people attend Tribal meetings or do any of the work we do to educate our childen or keep our health clinics going. They simply show up to play Indian.

That might sound harsh but it is a fact. It is a fact that many of my people are struggling with. These people come to our grass and want to be us. Think how fearful that feels instead of insulting me.

I am bewildred by these chains of events. In has only come to be in the last 20 years. Why is it happening?

Comment

Could it be economics too! With gas so high here on the West Coast, such as $3.50 a gallon, it cuts into the pocketbook, then you figure your meals if its all weekend, and other expenses. It can add up.

Comment

Where are you? I betcha Zeke from another thread could have a good convo with you. He doesn't mind the color of skin, whereas you are having a problem dealing with it.
                  You guys should get together.

I would have no problem just staying home and letting all those playing Indian, just play.

Comment

Your name suits you....

Originally posted by Bewildered View Post
                    The last pow wow I attended was last year and it was as sad an event as many others have become. Obviously a few of you are not understanding my point. Being at a pow wow and dressing up like an Indian does not make one. That is what I have been seeing. The last one I was at there were 7 of us. The closest Tribe is less than an hour away. All the rest there were people playing Indian.

That does not make me a bad person to write about it. It makes me concerned. We use to gather and have such fun at our pow wow's. Now it has become an event for many to play dress up and be Indian for a day or a weekend. None of these people attend Tribal meetings or do any of the work we do to educate our childen or keep our health clinics going. They simply show up to play Indian.

That might sound harsh but it is a fact. It is a fact that many of my people are struggling with. These people come to our grass and want to be us. Think how fearful that feels instead of insulting me.

I am bewildred by these chains of events. In has only come to be in the last 20 years. Why is it happening?
                    Tuck this in your back pocket.....I attended College in the Northeastern US.....There is a place referred to as the Mohawk Trail....littered with tourist themed "stores" Matter of fact for a good laugh we would drive up the trail to get a laugh or two.....Some of the cheesiest, hokie, whacked out things you could imagine.....Okay now my point.....Instead of it being sad, or getting mad......try another emotion or two....See my impression is if your grounded in just about anything your not gonna get too wrapped up in other "folks" trivial stuff....or their "renditions" As i'm getting wrapped up in yours.....Although it does indeed puzzle me when folks knock Powwow.....Especially when I get the impression they know very little about it in the 1st place.....
                    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.