Indictment: Invented Tribe~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indictment: Invented Tribe~

For all you fakers out there, your game is running out!

Unrecognized tribe indicted in immigration scam

Associated Press - September 21, 2007 7:34 PM ET

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - An unrecognized American Indian tribe has been indicted in an immigration scam.

A federal grand jury in Wichita returned the 17-count indictment against the Kaweah Indian Nation and 11 people.

The tribe is accused of plotting to sell tribal memberships to immigrants by falsely claiming the documents would make them American citizens.

The group's leader is among those indicted. The Bureau of Indian Affairs has said Malcolm Webber -- also known as Grand Chief Thunderbird IV -- is not an American Indian.

U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren says Webber invented the group, and it's not a recognized Indian tribe.
    At a hearing today, Webber was allowed to post a $50,000 bond to be released with electronic monitoring. Five other defendants were released on their own recognizance.

The Kaweah group is charged with nine counts, including harboring illegal aliens, possession of false documents with intent to defraud the United States, conspiracy, and producing false identification documents.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

so how does this work? they indicted the whole organization? didnt they say they had like 10,000 people or some such, plus i had seen an article claiming that there is a kaweah group(still not a recognized one) that says they had no knowledge of the frauds......ill see if i can find it again

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets

Comment

found it....this is from the sioux city journal ;

Tribe says reputation tarnished by phony representatives

OMAHA (AP) -- A non-federally recognized American Indian tribe accused of scamming illegal immigrants says it has been undercut by others who are fraudulently using the tribe's name and pitch.

In a twist that adds another layer to its controversial practice of offering tribal memberships to illegal immigrants with the promise of legal status, a spokesman for the Kaweah Indian Nation said Tuesday that others are selling tribal documents without being part of the tribe.

The Wichita, Kan.-based tribe, which is facing charges in Texas and Kansas, maintains that it has not sold memberships for thousands of dollars, as immigrant advocates have reported.

Kaweah officials have said about 10,000 people nationwide have become members under the proposal.

More have applied and are awaiting memberships, tribe spokesman Manuel Urbina said Tuesday.

In Nebraska, an estimated 1,000 to 2,000 illegal immigrants had signed up with the tribe, Nebraska Mexican-American Commission spokesman Angel Freytez said.

"They're still doing it because they know it's an easy scam, because they're targeting undocumented workers," Freytez said.

But Urbina said that others purporting to be tribal members opened up shop in another part of Nebraska, selling immigrants on the tribe's promise while keeping the money for themselves.

Urbina said they have heard of specific instances of a woman selling the memberships but have been able to find her. He says the Kaweah are now taking the heat.

"They were doing it under the table -- we didn't know anything about them," Urbina said.

The twist means some immigrants sold on the idea that becoming tribal members will give them legal status don't even get the tribal documents that federal authorities say are themselves useless.

Immigration authorities have said becoming a member of a tribe gives no protection against deportation. A lawyer for the Washington-based National Congress of American Indians has called the Kaweahs "a total sham."

The federal Bureau of Indian Affairs said in 1984 that the Kaweah group was not a real tribe and denied it federal recognition. A Kaweah tribe did exist once but is unrelated to the one that applied for recognition.

The Kaweah group was charged last week by the Texas attorney general for allegedly charging up to $400 for memberships and the guarantee of a Social Security number. The tribe is also being investigated by the U.S. attorney in Kansas. The Nebraska attorney general was not planning to investigate because it is a federal issue, a spokeswoman has said.

Eduviges del Carmen Zamora, an El Salvador native and a secretary of the tribe, was indicted earlier this month on four immigration-related offenses after allegedly driving 40 illegal immigrants from Long Beach, Calif., to Wichita, where they attempted to get Social Security cards.

Her husband, Angel Zamora, a Guatemalan native who worked in Wichita as a janitor, faces similar charges.

On the Net:

Bureau of Indian Affairs: Bureau of Indian Affairs

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: USCIS Home Page

Kansas U.S. Attorney's Office: The United States Department of Justice - United States Attorney's Office District of Kansas

Comment

Originally posted by FluteMaker View Post
        so how does this work? they indicted the whole organization? didnt they say they had like 10,000 people or some such, plus i had seen an article claiming that there is a kaweah group(still not a recognized one) that says they had no knowledge of the frauds......ill see if i can find it again
        they probably indicted the corporate organization,officers and board members etc...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by weshomenom View Post
          For all you fakers out there, your game is running out!

Unrecognized tribe indicted in immigration scam

Associated Press - September 21, 2007 7:34 PM ET

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - An unrecognized American Indian tribe has been indicted in an immigration scam.

A federal grand jury in Wichita returned the 17-count indictment against the Kaweah Indian Nation and 11 people.

The tribe is accused of plotting to sell tribal memberships to immigrants by falsely claiming the documents would make them American citizens.

The group's leader is among those indicted. The Bureau of Indian Affairs has said Malcolm Webber -- also known as Grand Chief Thunderbird IV -- is not an American Indian.

U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren says Webber invented the group, and it's not a recognized Indian tribe.
          At a hearing today, Webber was allowed to post a $50,000 bond to be released with electronic monitoring. Five other defendants were released on their own recognizance.

The Kaweah group is charged with nine counts, including harboring illegal aliens, possession of false documents with intent to defraud the United States, conspiracy, and producing false identification documents.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
          its about time!................

Comment

Well it looks like

If you're one of the main people within these organizations who are defrauding people no matter what your position is- you're not innocent for the actions taken by the others within the group. So as I said- Fakers your game is running out.

Now if the feds would hurry up and prosecute the people in the OIE scam in arkansas, or any other group who are taking on the identity as being an indian tribe-nation-clan then the BIA recognition process won't take so long!
            Last edited by weshomenom; 09-22-2007, 07:14 PM. Reason: missing words

Comment

well,see thats one thing i dont get,.....if the group has to be recognized by the government to be a tribe then what were all the people before? how can you be truely soveign if you have to beg permission to exist? thats what i was getting at in the other thread when i was asking about what really marks a group as fakes. what if the group really is a bunch of people of genuine like herritage sharing in thier culture but just doesnt meet the bia criteria? i mean, have you seen the requirments the bia has for recognition? its a wonder anyone gets by it at all. i dont mean to sound like im supporting the fake groups out there and i know theres a boat load but how worth it can it be to be recognized if some goof can put up a stink and ask that it be taken away?like that woman from california messing with the cno. if they get terminated will they become fakes too with out recognition

(im asking seriously,here, not meaning to sound sarcastic)

Comment

FM--here's something for you that might help with this. The CNO has been a Federally Recognized Tribe and there are Federal Documents proving this all the was back to 1838 when the Removal happened. There is a Band of the Apache's that had their Federal Recognition taken from them many years ago, again there is Federal Documentation going back to (probably) around the 1700's/1800's. These tribes didn't suddenly show up in 2002 and say "Here we are and we've been here all along." And yet, no one has ever heard of them. Now, if you really want to dig into this---the NARA (National Archives) has all (supposed to be all) the BIA records up to around the 1940's, I got that straight from the Washington BIA last month. There are many records of the BIA and their dealings with Indian Tribes and documents and treaties and on and on. I have a whole lisitng of the records that they carry. There are thousands and thousands of records held there (maybe in the millions). Again, there's documentation, that's what it's all about---documentation because that's really all that we have to go by right now.

Does this help a little?

I am so glad that they got them and I hope that they keep going with getting more of them.

Comment

The BIA is recognizing a tribal group for a government to government relationship in order for the government to extend certain federal rights as being recognized as a tribal NATION.

Someone can claim they are indian all day long(not to say other indians won't laugh) but in order to claim you are a tribal nation within the united states you must show you are not just a fly by night group of people who decided to solicite a bunch more people who just found out they may or may not have some indian blood just so they can obtain federal programs.

It's like bringing a bunch of people together in a community and then they try to say they are a new State within the united states, can't be done, there are steps taken to become a state.

I guess this is why it's so hard for non-indians to understand what the problem is with all these fake groups, they don't understand what is a government to government relationship.

And yes I have seen the BIA formula for granting recognition. Yes it is complicated which is why it takes so long to get legitimate indian groups as recognized in combination with the feds having to wade through documents fakes submit as if the government isn't smart enough to know a fake document when they see one.

Heck, we're talking about the feds, they know more about us than we know about us...LOL...

Comment

P.s.

You don't have to beg the government to exist, the traditional seminoles exist without federal recognition. They are about as traditional as one can get. But you do have to have recognition in order to obtain federal money for financial assistance.

Comment

Bad things to come?

On The Wings Of Eagles

28 September Anti-Indian Forum
                      Filed under: Uncategorized — threeoaks @ 12:00 am
                      Dating from the early colonial period, one of the methods used by the frothing immigration of Europeans to destroy the American Indian was to divide friendly tribes that had joined together for a common defense, even to the point of causing divisions within a tribe. These divisions were first made through friendly promises, and if that did not work - through threats of military action. Such actions left tribes abandoned by their allies, making for an easier defeat.One more example of history repeating itself, with few paying attention to the stories behind the scenes, is being played out now. And, once more, the same result is most likely to happen. The American Indian is not going to escaped undamaged.
                      Please recall the Trojan horse amendments attached to H.R. 2786, the Native American housing bill. Thugs in the House of Representatives have threatened the Senate that if the Senate version of the bill does not include the amendments, then no Tribe will receive housing monies for the next five years.
                      In effect, what the elected representatives in the House are doing is holding all American Indians and Alaskan Natives hostage. This is not only playing a juvenile game, but is no different than a common criminal holding hostages until demands are met. The House of Representatives is also continuing one of the most effective programs used in the past to defeat the American Indian, the destruction of food supplies and burning of houses in villages.
                      As part of the anti-Indian campaign, the Congressional Black Caucus is holding their annual conference 28-29 September with the theme of “Unleashing Our Power.” A special forum is being presented on 28 September from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM in Room 209-C at the Washington Convention Center. Hosted by Congressman John Conyers and Congresswoman Diane E. Watson (the architect of the Cherokee Nation termination bill, H.R. 2824), the forum is entitled “Pursuit of Justice for the Cherokee Freedmen”. Although apparently concerned about African-Americans without Cherokee ancestry being disenrolled by the Cherokee Nation, please remember that the Black Caucus does not admit members of other ethnic backgrounds on the claim of preserving racial purity. This should not be a racial issue, but one about sovereignty. Unfortunately, the promoters of the Cherokee Nation’s demise have ignored the sovereignty of the Nation and are playing the race gambit.
                      Designed to indoctrinate Senators, Representatives, and the public into supporting the Cherokee Nation termination, the panelists on the forum consist only of individuals with a biased viewpoint and with personal axes to grind. This would not necessarily be a concern, but any other hearings by Congress on Watson’s termination bill are likely to be sparse or non-existent. This means that those attending the forum will be limited to hearing the pro-termination side of the story. Amazingly, at the same time this forum is going on, another forum is taking place that promotes housing assistance to African Americans. Additional forums during the conference address the very same things that these people want to take away from American Indians: education, health care, economic development, and so forth. Such things should rightfully be addressed for any ethnic group, but to do so while attempting to deny the same programs to the American Indian is hypocrisy at the fullest.
                      One of the purposes of these conference forums is to identify and establish future legislative actions. As a result, we can perhaps expect to see an increase in the slash and cut Trojan horse amendments in support of the termination bill directed at the Cherokee Nation.
                      So, what does all of this have to do with turning Tribes and Indians against each other do allow for an easier victory by anti-Indian forces?
                      Historically, both the Colonial governments and the U.S. government took advantage of intertribal animosities to weaken any resistance to expansion.
                      The termination program of today takes advantage of the problems between the Cherokee Nation and the UKB. It appears that the UKB is siding with the termination forces, which is amazing in itself because the UKB is much more restrictive in it’s enrollment requirements than the Cherokee Nation is - requiring a ¼ or more blood quantum. With this in mind, how the UKB can insist that the Cherokee Nation allow people with no documented Cherokee ancestry to be members is beyond comprehension. There is also a very small group, centralized around one family with dual UKB and Cherokee Nation citizenship, that has taken advantage of the situation with the ultimate goal of seizing control of whatever is left of the Nation after it has been effectively destroyed. Normally, entering into or commenting on internal Tribal politics is none of my business - and I abhor to do so. But, what the UKB and this group are doing has a great adverse affect on Tribes and Indians everywhere - including my own family and the families of my friends.
                      By holding the American Indian hostage unless the Senate version of H.R. 2786 contains the same damaging amendments to the Cherokee Nation, pressure and intimidation is placed on other Tribes and individual Indians to turn away from the Nation’s sovereignty rights and end any support that they might have had for the Nation. Unless the Tribes and individuals resist this intimidation and stand with the Cherokee Nation on this sovereignty issue, they participate in their own ultimate destruction just as the Tribes of yesteryear did.
                      Many of today’s leaders in Washington D.C., and the general public, hold the same basic misleading historical and stereotypical assumptions about Tribes and American Indians that was held hundreds of years ago. The general perception of American Indians as primitive savages unable to govern themselves still prevails, along with the right of the government to intrude into Tribal affairs and extend it’s regulatory powers for the “good of the Indian“.
                      Just as with the colonists and “pioneers” of the past, today’s opinions of Tribes and American Indians are based on misunderstanding and misconceptions (besides pure greed for land). The current situation is fueled by misleading and biased media reports, which inaccurately portray the American Indian, particularly members of the Cherokee Nation, as racists. Just as the “pioneers” of the past justified the killing of Indians because of the common perception of their lower status as humans, one activist friend of mine has questioned how long will it be before innocent Indians are attacked in the streets because of the prevailing and similar perception presented by the anti-Indian members of the House?
                      In closing, I would like to pass on my appreciation to the few opinion authors and bloggers who have seen through the layers of ignorance and deceit in H.R. 2824 and have tried to explain reality to the public. The question remains, will the public listen?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.