how to earn your eagle feathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to earn your eagle feathers

if someone is native in anyway , how does one earn the feathers, is it only by going to war or enlisting, or is there other ways?

and just hypothetically, how would i being non native by blood be able to earn it,
    just to make sure on this subject,i know i cannot have hawk or eagle feathers legally, but IF i was somehow allowed,for some reason, then how could i earn it, (its not some cool thing to have an eagle feather),
    the feather represent something , i understand this.

cant wait for the answers
    Thobias

Eagle feathers...

Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2007.

Dear Thobias...

Two years ago I got one eagle feather... It was an offering after years of work... Work on ceremonial dances, participations in my community, always respecting my elders, protecting kids, loving my brothers and sisters... Being humble, somehow obedient concerning the Tribe rules, working in the mountains, searching for an inner vision... Then I got my vision: To serve My People, to remember every day that if I am stronger, it´s to serve the weaker -with Love and humbleness-, and then one day, this lady dancer SkyFlower, came to me after a dance and told me: -Here, an eagle feather for you from my heart!- and then I couldn´t believe it, I wanted to cry and she kept saying: -You deserve it today, and you should deserve it every single day on your hair as a Warrior of the Red Road...-, she gave me the feather and a wonderful hug and since then, untill now, I try to deserve that Eagle Feather... An Eagle Feather gives you Honor, Power, Braveness, Dignity and the war -you are the warrior- it´s against yourself, the many battles you have every day are against lazyness, gossip, impoliteness, selfishness, etc... ---So, my Dear Thobias... that´s the way I got an Eagle Feather, just one, one only... I don´t need more... I know my destiny... To love my People... To serve my People... Truly yours, ---Cuetzpallincihuatl, an Aztec Indian, from the Aztec lands.
    Cuetzpallincihuatl, the Aztec Indian.

Comment

some say that if you are to have an eagle feather then it will come to you.
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
        some say that if you are to have an eagle feather then it will come to you.

Yes, that's the way it happens. One time I was given a straight eagle feather and six fluffy plumes out of the trunk of a car. This was for my sister who was a jingle dress dancer at the time.

After that we had to wait for the US government to send a whole eagle. It took a couple years for two wing fans to be made for we were on Indian time.
        Last edited by they_drag_him; 10-04-2007, 02:47 PM.

Comment

So, it's not a question of "earning" in the human sense of working to earn something?

Comment

Originally posted by Thobias View Post
            if someone is native in anyway , how does one earn the feathers, is it only by going to war or enlisting, or is there other ways?

Thobias

Thoby,

Good question!

I wonder what young traditional dancers did to "earn" their double row bustles?
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

do u really want to know? ayyyeee
              The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

yes i really want to know :)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.