Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Good articles, Josiah!

    Fills in some blanks for me - like where cracking and boiling the bones for soup or stew stock came from (and why people look at me weird when I write out an asked for recipe for the soup or stew they just ate and they come to the "take 3 or 4 large [whatever meat] bones, crack them open and throw them in the stock"), the saving of all sorts of fats, mixing meat and fruit (especially berries) together, liking to eat various organ meats, why I had to eat so blinking much fish when I was a kid and the weird bias I have about not drinking plain water (makes me choke) - there has to be something in there, even if it's just a handful of sumac berries and a small touch of maple syrup.

    The part that made me chuckle was this one:

    <quote>So the formula for good health in the modern age begins with the products of "a fine dairy herd"—whole, raw, unprocessed milk from cows that eat green grass, a highly nutritious substitute for guts and grease and one that every child can enjoy, even native American children who are supposedly lactose intolerant. </quote>

    I -am- a lactose intolerant *adult*. I wasn't as a child. Didn't start for me until age 25 or so. Milk (and later many milk products) now does evil things in my digestive system UNLESS it's had the lactose more fully broken down by bacteria like yogurt (the real kind not the "kind of looks like/smells like/tastes like" chemical brew that some brands are), hard/sharp cheeses or milk that has been scalded long enough. Speaking of which I tried a Salvadoran cultured sour cream this past weekend that seems to be safe (at least in small quantities).

    Exercise has been my 5 year problem - being on wheels has definitely limited what I can do. I'm getting better about skipping the "civilized food" and eating more like how my grandparents did when we all lived together. Some things I can't get - real ojib wild rice or I can't get to - like cattail pollen, flowers and roots.

    I will say that up until 5 years ago I was only about 10 lbs heavier than I was in high school. But that was from exercise more than from eating or not eating certain things. I walked -every where-, walking was something I did for the pleasure of it. At one point my wife calculated that walking the dog twice a day added up to at least 10 miles.

    Now is not so good. Uncle "Arthy" has ground up my knees and he's working on my hands, neck and right shoulder and I don't know which one he'll finish with first.
    Last edited by between2worlds; 01-28-2008, 10:04 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      Im so sorry if thats happenning to your body...a good preventative and these days,for survival,,,its good to break fast with 4 oz. of wheatgrass and a 16 0z. cup of carrot beet juiice...if your iron is low,beat juice will raise it fasrter than anything.. wheatgrass ids like drinking a few pounds of raw vegis....and of course pure water...then you have to wait a few hours...then eayt some beans,rice and chapatis{frybread thats not fried.}(split moong beans are the most digestible,high protein bean{for those with cancer}my fav. is lentils....those are like frybread without grease...thats a lot of a complete protein diet. fruits need to be eaten by themselves..no white flour,and no white sugar...and some ginger root ,and cilantro with your meals,and yogurt...thats all I can think of and ive been studying health my whole life.If native american indians insist that threy must eat fish...they should move to Alaska,,,soon they wont be able to eat the fish in Alaska...sounds like maybe you have a huge amount of mercury in your system.the native american indians are expert cooks so they know what spices are healing .

      Comment


      • #33
        Can you please stick to the subject of nutrition and quit the condescending Native American references??

        I almost get interested in what you have to say, then you blow it with stereotypical, and nonsensical NA remarks.

        I don't know if you have ever had frybread, but chapatis is NOT like frybread, it's more like a tortilla. And don't even compare lentils (which I LOVE) to frybread.

        You know we're all living in the 21st century, so luckily we don't have to MOVE to Alaska to enjoy seafood. Nor should we have to listen to your hair brained NA ramblings.

        AND Please don't try to diagnose anyone!! *stomping off*
        ...it is what it is...

        Comment


        • #34

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by silence is golden View Post
            Im so sorry if thats happenning to your body...a good preventative and these days,for survival,,,its good to break fast with 4 oz. of wheatgrass and a 16 0z. cup of carrot beet juiice...if your iron is low,beat juice will raise it fasrter than anything.. wheatgrass ids like drinking a few pounds of raw vegis....and of course pure water...then you have to wait a few hours...then eayt some beans,rice and chapatis{frybread thats not fried.}(split moong beans are the most digestible,high protein bean{for those with cancer}my fav. is lentils....those are like frybread without grease...thats a lot of a complete protein diet. fruits need to be eaten by themselves..no white flour,and no white sugar...and some ginger root ,and cilantro with your meals,and yogurt...thats all I can think of and ive been studying health my whole life.If native american indians insist that threy must eat fish...they should move to Alaska,,,soon they wont be able to eat the fish in Alaska...sounds like maybe you have a huge amount of mercury in your system.the native american indians are expert cooks so they know what spices are healing .

            Uh hello?

            I AM native, was raised up native BY natives out in the middle of no-where northern USA.

            What's your lineage?

            Comment


            • #36
              silence is golden is becoming very clear that you have not read any of the numerous replies to your rambling posts

              By all means do so....
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

              Comment


              • #37
                The key to buying good fish is to buy wild caught not farmed. Farming actually has more mercury and pollutants in it because they are localized to one area and don't get to go out to sea like the wild salmon do. Check the pollutant levels in the rivers, streams, lakes and ponds you go to.. there ARE some that are'nt bad out there. Oh and buy american wild caught, not the imported stuff... lately some bad things have come about from imported fish that you really don't want!

                As for this wierd comment on herbs that seems to be applied to all of us... I know my people did'nt deal with alot of herbs themselves, but we did use alot of shoots and roots. Many of the herbs we use today were brought over here from the orient from what I understand. Sage is indigenous as well as I know my people refined salt from salt mines.. which is also something the Onondaga were known for doing. But when you read about healing plants and foods the herbs don't seem to be included for consuming but more for burning.

                LOL comparing lentils to frybread as an equal... that's a GOOD joke!
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

                Comment


                • #38
                  Ok BlackBear as long as the chap dont start talking about todgers we will be OK!
                  I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                    Ok BlackBear as long as the chap dont start talking about todgers we will be OK!
                    You still aren't over that one, are you.LMAO

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
                      You still aren't over that one, are you.LMAO
                      Im sooooo not lol now I can laugh but man the nerve!
                      I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                        Im sooooo not lol now I can laugh but man the nerve!
                        Yes, I know what you mean. But in this case, hun, it's a female so it could get really ugly.LMAO

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
                          Yes, I know what you mean. But in this case, hun, it's a female so it could get really ugly.LMAO
                          hhuuummmm very true
                          I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Mean while back at the ranch....

                            Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
                            Yes, I know what you mean. But in this case, hun, it's a female so it could get really ugly.LMAO
                            Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post
                            hhuuummmm very true
                            Dont try hijacking this thread TT you know where your room is
                            LOL

                            My tribe did not use many herbs those were introduced after 1st contact...
                            I know one thing we did go nuts over sugar, my grandma drank her coffee extremly strong with lots of sugar!
                            And loved fry bread and bean bread and biscuits
                            So lots of Starch and the wrong kind of oil
                            She was a full blown Diabetic and shot insullin everyday
                            But nutrition was not a big thing with our tribe in the 1960's along with most other tribes, So she past on very early in her life only 61...

                            We know nowdays lots of things that are not good for us and alot of our traditional meals that include Frybread are not very good for us we know this
                            And yet....
                            Fry bread is good especially hot out of the grease...
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                              Dont try hijacking this thread TT you know where your room is
                              LOL

                              My tribe did not use many herbs those were introduced after 1st contact...
                              I know one thing we did go nuts over sugar, my grandma drank her coffee extremly strong with lots of sugar!
                              And loved fry bread and bean bread and biscuits
                              So lots of Starch and the wrong kind of oil
                              She was a full blown Diabetic and shot insullin everyday
                              But nutrition was not a big thing with our tribe in the 1960's along with most other tribes, So she past on very early in her life only 61...

                              We know nowdays lots of things that are not good for us and alot of our traditional meals that include Frybread are not very good for us we know this
                              And yet....
                              Fry bread is good especially hot out of the grease...
                              Are you grounding me again.j/k LMAO

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Dunno if you'd call them herbs/spices or not but many of the recipes I inherited call for candied or toasted sweet flag root (which is really a rhizome) which has a sharp taste - a bit like cinnamon or ginger. And the leaves add a sweet fragrance/taste something like how vanilla does to bannock and other "breads" (which call for minimal white flour - mostly made from nut, pollen and cattail root "flours"). Toasted cattail seeds are indicated in several soup, a stew and one "sweet bannock" recipe.

                                Sumac berries - I still use these: both to make water taste better and to put in the stuffing (and soaked in water as the basis of a basting sauce) for birds. I always get compliments on how moist my roasted chicken with sumac turns out, and without the sumac berries it just isn't as good.

                                Sarsaparilla root, birch twig tips and pine needles all make nice teas... as do mint. Would these flavorings be considered herbs/spices too?

                                Comment

                                Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                Trending

                                Collapse

                                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                                Sidebar Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X