Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood Quantum And Unnecessary Refence To It.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2+1/4= 2/6 or 1/3 or is 3/8 really about the same... I forget LOL!
    Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
      Actually if the parents were 1/2 and 1/4, the child would be 3/8.

The two tribes on this rez count both parents blood even if it's from a different tribe.

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
      1/2+1/4= 2/6 or 1/3 or is 3/8 really about the same... I forget LOL!
      Ooops my bad. Don't give me a fractions test.....

Wyo - - I was referring to your tribe. (I have inlaws up there) Do people in your tribe introduce themselves with the "full blood" "half" or "3/8th" attached to the introduction? Because one of the only places I see people really make a big deal out of this is in Oklahoma.

Comment

OK...Math Lesson...

You need to get the AVERAGE between 1/2 and 1/4. So you want to add them up and divide by 2.

1/2 (or 2/4) + 1/4 = 3/4 Remember you can only add fractions with denominators (the bottom part of the fraction) that are the same. In this case you make sure all the denominators are 4.

Divide by two (or multiply by 1/2) and get 3/8. (3/4 * 1/2 = 3/8)

You'll never find anybody with an odd denominator. It goes by power of two as in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, 1/256, 1/512, ...)

One set of my grandkids have /128 as the denominator and the other set has /256. The fractions can't be simplified unless they marry someone with a numberator (top part of the fraction) that will add up into a fraction that can be simplified.

And not to say that my grandkids are like 1/128. My little one who's registering for school for has her paperwork here and she's 65/128. Of course this doesn't include ALL her native blood, but heck, good enough to run for Miss Indian World.
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

WELL....nobody I know introduces themselves that way. Sometimes someone will ask and they'll usually say the tribe they're enrolled in. OR something like, I'm Arapaho but my dad is Lakota from South Dakota.

If asked I say I'm Shoshone. If they get nosier (ayes) I'll say my mom is Shoshone and my dad is white. And to continue, my grandma is from here (Wind River) but my grandpa was from the Salish/Kootenai rez. Some will get technical and ask the blood degree. I tell them it's around 3/8 which isn't correct cuz the records up here burnt down long ago and not all were corrected.

I hardly ever get around to telling everybody the whole history where my mom is Eastern Shoshone, Kootenai, Pend'Oreille, Swampy Cree, Iroquois, Sioux and Blackfoot. And French! I always forget to add that.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Oh and if you ever see anyone say they're 30%, that's not a blood degree. They must have got that from a DNA test!!!
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

WELL....nobody I know introduces themselves that way. Sometimes someone will ask and they'll usually say the tribe they're enrolled in. OR something like, I'm Arapaho but my dad is Lakota from South Dakota.

If asked I say I'm Shoshone. If they get nosier (ayes) I'll say my mom is Shoshone and my dad is white. And to continue, my grandma is from here (Wind River) but my grandpa was from the Salish/Kootenai rez. Some will get technical and ask the blood degree. I tell them it's around 3/8 which isn't correct cuz the records up here burnt down long ago and not all were corrected.

I hardly ever get around to telling everybody the whole history where my mom is Eastern Shoshone, Kootenai, Pend'Oreille, Swampy Cree, Iroquois, Sioux and Blackfoot. And French! I always forget to add that.

Now that's a list. But I think other tribes should enroll the way Shoshone do. That might appease J5's a little cuz a lot of okies are more than one tribe also.

Anywayz...........

Comment

OK...Math Lesson...

You need to get the AVERAGE between 1/2 and 1/4. So you want to add them up and divide by 2.

1/2 (or 2/4) + 1/4 = 3/4 Remember you can only add fractions with denominators (the bottom part of the fraction) that are the same. In this case you make sure all the denominators are 4.

Divide by two (or multiply by 1/2) and get 3/8. (3/4 * 1/2 = 3/8)

You'll never find anybody with an odd denominator. It goes by power of two as in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, 1/256, 1/512, ...)

One set of my grandkids have /128 as the denominator and the other set has /256. The fractions can't be simplified unless they marry someone with a numberator (top part of the fraction) that will add up into a fraction that can be simplified.

And not to say that my grandkids are like 1/128. My little one who's registering for school for has her paperwork here and she's 65/128. Of course this doesn't include ALL her native blood, but heck, good enough to run for Miss Indian World.
                I was using simple 4th grade fractions math as I learned it and relearned it this year with my daughter ROFLMAO!!! I think you are using the rules for multiplication of fractions not addition ... or at least I think I learned them that way and that's why right now my head is spinning going... "Holay! How'd she come to that answer???" ROFLMAO!!!

But I do understand the rest of what you said. My daughter is 1/3 (heheheh) It's because her dad is'nt Tuscarora so they don't count his contribution to her indian dna soup that is the reason she's enrolled as 1/4 instead.

You know though.. I might tell people I'm 1/2 but it has to be brought up and it always is. I've never been stereotypical indian looking or what people expect us to look like although I'm questioned about it alot less when I've got some good summer color going... but yeah, I'll mention something that refers to me being indian and I'll get the typical response of, "oh you are? You don't look it." And then I just say, well my dad is white.... does that explain anything? Usually does. But that is what happens with non natives...

When I'm around natives and they don't already know by knowing my family or my husbands' family, I just get blatently asked often enough... you part white/half white? And I just answer honestly and folks are fine with it.
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Way Of Life

There was a time when aboriginal identification was based on accepting the culture and traditions of the tribe you were born into or adopted into. There was no such thing as blood quantum until the U.S. Government was formed. A Man Called Horse was a white man adopted by the Sioux,and became a Sioux leader, Chief Billy of the Seminoles was a run-away slave adopted by the Seminoles and became a Chief,many tribes have similar stroies. Aboriginal American Identification was a way of life before the invasion of Europe. Some tribes have gotten over the blood quantum Issue and have beaten back all attempts of Genocide. The world may never look at Aboriginal American of a low degree of blood as Native, but the Native of a lower blood quantum who was brougth up with their culture and traditions will never let anyone tell them who they are.

Comment

the Native of a lower blood quantum who was brougth up with their culture and traditions will never let anyone tell them who they are.
                    thats so true.

I wish more tribes would adopt the shoshone way of identifying tribal blood quantum.
                    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

If you want to learn the history of the Blood Quantum
                      Download this PDF File and read it...
                      SSRN-A Legal History of Blood Quantum in Federal Indian Law to 1935 by Paul Spruhan

It is about 50 pages long, but it is the most complete study of the Blood Quantum issue!
                      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                      Till I Die!

Comment

Eastern Shoshone count all tribal blood, and the Northern Arapaho. I don't know about any other tribes.

And it wasn't always this way. It had to be changed through the General Council (the people) and the Business Council (elected officials).

Thanks for the link, Josiah. I'm TRYING to download it now.

And BB, she can be ABOUT 1/3 but you can't have thirds as the denominator for blood degree, not even when simplifying the fraction. If you'd like, I'll whip up the correct fraction for her. (PM me or whatever)
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.