Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Day

Of all the Federal Holidays I think this one is the most Bizarre

1) Its a Federal Holiday that is no longer observed by alot of School systems in the country.

2) It is a Holiday that is celebrating the end of Freedom for the Ndn People in North and South America.

3)The myth of Columbus has been largely debunked as the "One to have Discovered America"

For me as a Federal employee I will take the holiday off with pay.

But In my opinion this is a holiday that will slowly fade away and the Name Columbus will become a mere footnote in history...

What does Columbus Day mean for you and do you mark it with any Special Celebration or Meal???
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

For me Columbus day means nothing. It's not a chance for me to have a big dinner, or a bar b que. I am also a federal employee and I take the day off because it is schedule for our office. I would not even know when Columbus day is if it was not highlited in red on my desk calendar. I do not even think it is on my calendar at home. I agree with you that it will evenutal become just a footnote in history.
    I personally do not see why this needs to be a recognized holiday. There are no days on the calendar to recognize accomplishments that Native Americans have made other than Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by klotasfeather; 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Columbus Day means nothing to me .... but it is Canadian Thanksgiving btw ...

we have a a cpl Native holidays here in canaduh ... first day of summer ... First Nations Solidarity Day or National Aboriginal Day ... we get it off with pay or get stat pay if we chose to work it LOL. also First Nations Unity Day in November for all the Native veterans. and First Nations Government Day in April ...
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

I'm a tribal employee, so we work on the Federal Holiday. It's doesn't mean much to me either. My kids go to school and I go to work.

Our tribe has 2 other paid holidays given to tribal employee's Sovereignty Day and Treaty Day. So I get 2 for 1.

Comment

Around here Columbus day has morphed into "Italian- American Pride day". but it is still a chance to remind everyone that Columbus was not a hero and an entire nation of people suffered because of European greed and arrogance.
          and I think ppl are coming around... slowly... but most will agree.
          Personally, I treat it as a somber day of remembrance.
          There is only one success; to be able to live your life in your own way.

Comment

Doesn't mean a thing to me at all. I still don't understand why it is a federal holiday. I mean, If I get lost going somewhere, will they make a federal holiday about me? I get lost all of the time. I'm still waiting for my holiday.
            Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

I don't recognize the holiday, and schools are in session.

Comment

Same here - school's in, it's a work day for me. I don't know why they don't just phase that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                  Of all the Federal Holidays I think this one is the most Bizarre

1) Its a Federal Holiday that is no longer observed by alot of School systems in the country.

2) It is a Holiday that is celebrating the end of Freedom for the Ndn People in North and South America.

3)The myth of Columbus has been largely debunked as the "One to have Discovered America"

For me as a Federal employee I will take the holiday off with pay.

But In my opinion this is a holiday that will slowly fade away and the Name Columbus will become a mere footnote in history...

What does Columbus Day mean for you and do you mark it with any Special Celebration or Meal???
                  yeah we usually have a big turkey dinner and float around ships made out of cardboard......we call them the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.....then we go out and play ring around the roses (till we all fall down).......then afterwards we shoot off fireworks......it's not a holiday in my company, of course my company is foreign owned so I doubt they really care anyway.....LOL!!!!.....last year I told my company it was a day of mourning and I needed to take the day off....needless to say some of the white people here didn't think that was too funny....LOL!!!
                  sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Taino remembrence day

I am Taino from cubanacan(cuba)and at my house we remember our ancestors those who fought and those who died at the hands of this man and his followers.In todays times I cant understand why this man could be still honerd for something he did not do!This man was a murder a slave trader and many other things.In his journals he writes of how good my people are yet almost every time he encounterd them he would ask where to find gold,my people gave love and kindness and he gave glass beads,shoestrings,pieces of leathers and evil.So should this man be celibrated in schools like my daughters here in florida where he never steped foot on this land,I say no I say my people should be remembered and all nativeamericans to.thankyou taino ti
                    TainoNation

Comment

Our tribal offices are still open and the school, so I'll be at work. It's weird though, that the banks, post office , etc... will be closed. I was wondering why I got a good deal on my stove at Sears...didn't even realize Columbus day was coming up.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

I'm taking Monday off - out of my own vacation time. But it's more a simplification of my life than any recognition of Lost Guy Day - here in the District of Confusion the transit system goes on "holiday schedule" and the 2 hour commute turns into 3 hours or more. It's worth it just to schedule myself to stay home.

I'm using the time off to get our gear out and checked over for the Vet's Day pws.

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff View Post
                          Columbus Day means nothing to me .... but it is Canadian Thanksgiving btw ...

we have a a cpl Native holidays here in canaduh ... first day of summer ... First Nations Solidarity Day or National Aboriginal Day ... we get it off with pay or get stat pay if we chose to work it LOL. also First Nations Unity Day in November for all the Native veterans. and First Nations Government Day in April ...
                          What province or territory are you in? I know some recognize Native holidays, but not here in ON. Places like the friendship centers do though & alot of people take it off on their own for powwows & stuff.
                          I think it's terrible that the US has columbus day. here it's thanksgiving, but we get together with my husbands family & have a Harvest celebration, we eat virtually the same foods, honour the harvest vegtables and do the Thanksgiving address (nothing to do with the thanksgiving holiday, my husbands people do this for all celebrations)

Comment

Columbus Day? bah. Why isn't it Leif Erickson Day? Shouldn't there be Vikings everywhere you look? Or why isn't it Amerigo Vespucci Day? And why don't we call it Vespucciland?

I'm a state employee, no holiday for us. That being said, I usually go over to Anadarko for the Kiowa Black Leggins ceremonial, doesn't have squat to do with Columbus Day though. I'd rather be soaking up the ceremonial than celebrating some Italian "explorer". Is there a Al Capone Day???

Comment

My tribe doesn't celebrate this day today, we celebrated last friday. It's called Sovereignty Day. My kids go to school for it. The daycare is still open. I don't have any money in the bank, so that's all good....LOL And here I am at work. Yanno, there's some crazy drivers out there at 630 in the morning. I thought I was nuts.....LOL
                              sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X