Veterans Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Day

Ninety years ago, on November 11th at five o’clock in the morning, in a railway carriage in France, the Armistice between the Allies and Germany was signed, thus agreeing to stop hostilities six hours later. Consequently at 11:00am, or the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918, the guns of the First World War fell silent.

The First World War had left nearly 20 million military and civilian dead, at least that many wounded, and Europe nearly buried under rubble. “The war to end all wars” was over. However, then there was the Second World War and the Korean War, so November 11th, originally known as Armistice Day, became known as Veteran’s Day as of 1954. A day we now use to honor all who have served our country, especially those who have given their last full measure.

For those who have served in our military, Veterans Day is a day that reminds them of the friends they served with, those they fought with, and those that didn’t come home. For the families of fallen service members they are reminded of their loss and grieve for their hero. Families with soldiers, sailors, airmen or marines currently serving on active duty will reflect on their current status, and Blue Star Mothers hope and pray that they will not join the ranks of the Gold Star Mothers.

Our current military is unique in the fact that it is an all-volunteer force. Any soldier, sailor, airman or marine who is currently serving, willingly raised their hand and said they would serve; and if need be, give their life for our country. This special group of patriots is typical of all who have fought when our country has asked for their service. Whether it was World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, or the War on Terror in Iraq and Afghanistan, soldiers have had a choice to make. They could answer the call to serve, or the draft demand to serve if there was one at the time, or they could ignore the call and hide from their duty. This choice speaks volumes about the men and women of our U.S. military. This choice is about honor. Honor demanded they accept the call, and in honor, most answered the call.

This Veterans Day let us return that honor. Let us reach out to the Veterans in our midst and thank them for their service in defense of our country. Let us reach out to families of deployed heroes and stand beside them in support of their loved one who is in harms way. Let us reach out to the families of the fallen heroes and thank them for their sacrifice in preserving our freedom.

This Veterans Day let us return that honor by being worthy of the gift of freedom that each and every Veteran has fought to defend and protect.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Thank you to all the Veterans living and dead of the United States!!!
    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

Thank you to all the veterans! Thank you also to my dad: Private, 682 Ammo company, Corps of Engineers, and Second Lieutenant, Reserve Artillery, 1942 to 1945, Tunisian, Rhineland, Central Europe, Italy and the Invasion of Southern France.

Comment

Raise hand high in honor
          Thanks to all veterens past and present

Comment

Thanks to all of our powwows.com friends who have served and who continue to serve our great Country.

We are who we are because of you.
            Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Thank U to all those who sacraficed their lives, those who survived and those who serve today

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
              When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Comment

Yes, thanks and gratitude to all veteran's past and present, especially my dad, my grandpa, my brother and my brother in law... and my uncles... and some of my best friends...and my nephews and all the other young people stepping up to the challenge.
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.....

thank you to all veterans for giving so much so we can live the way we do. A personal thank you to my father, Major, USAF, Korean War combat pilot, wish you were here.

Comment

To all the veterans...

Happy Veterans Day!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Thank you to all the Vets and Have a good Veterans day.

Comment

Please, allow me to echo these thoughts to all my family who has served, Dad, Grandpa's, GreatGrandpa's, Uncles, Nephews, and Cousins. Our family is proud of our Military members.

I would like to say a word of thanks to those who I've had the priviledge to serve with. Some didn't come home most did. To all of you who are still here, we are here together. Wadonk

Please, keep one of my Nephews in prayer. His unit came home this past spring and will redeploy this winter. I won't say which Unit and what time frames, just a security thing you know. My Nephew says AirBorne to all his Friends.
                        BOB

Comment

Thanks to all of the Vets that paved the way. Especially, to my uncles that are not with us today. I served in the Marine Corps from 1981 to 1992 and miss it everyday.
                          Through the good times and bad times, always pray.

Comment

"For those that will fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected shall never know."
                            -- LCpl Edwin L. Craft, USMC
                            Bravo Co, 3rd Anti-Tank Battalion "Ontos"
                            Khe Sanh Combat Base, Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam.
                            (During the "Tet Offensive" - February, 1968)

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                            "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.