Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lostapache
    replied
    Thanks everyone .. I will google the healing lodge I know she is deep down a great kid. She is lashing out cause " i abonded her" 3 yrs ago when I left her father due to abuse.
    So I figure some of this is normal teen behaviour. It is the disrespect, ungratefulness and demanded things that are "Needs" when they are not given we have a fit. When they are given like dinning out, going to do what ever she picks for a mother daughter thing it is never said ty or anything it is always when we are done more more more

I made her mad by telling her I really want to put up with her. I meant to finish and say her additude. I wanted her to go tomorrow to the "cascade raptor center" to help out with their work. My boyfriend is a seniour volunteer there. She did volunteer last summer. She will be there for Earth day doing two days of working there. Hopefully she will get over her bitterness with me. She use to share everything w/o an additude now she will share but it has this additude behind it. ( Or at least that is how I take it)

Sighs well I know things will work out in time.

Leave a comment:

• wyo_rose
    replied
    If she's enrolled, you need to contact the agency where enrolled and see what boarding school options are available.

My two youngest daughters went to boarding school and it was a great experience. Of course, they can get kicked out if they act up - one of mine almost did. In fact one year at Flandreau Indian School in SD, they ended the year with about 1/3 of the students that started.

They don't cost anything, at least none that I know of, but it's not that easy to get in. My youngest had a hard time getting into Sherman Indian School in Riverside, CA but luckily she could show "ties" to the school cuz her great-grandma went there back in the day.

If you can't show enrollment or at least 1/4 CIB then you need to look at other options. Contact your local social service office. Or maybe Job Corp.
    Last edited by wyo_rose; 03-16-2009, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• N8ive_Ashes719
    replied
    Hope my lil story of me helps you.

Originally posted by lostapache View Post
    I got a teenage daughter 16 who has been living with me since June 2008. She was kicked out of her grandmothers house and is now on her last leg of mercy with me as well. I can fully understand if she treated her grandmother the way she did me that she got kicked out. It has come to the point that me and her father who is in a nurcing home is concitering putting her in a boarding school. Here is our problem I get SSI He ( her father) gets SSD and is in a nurcing home more likely for rest of his life. She is Navajo, Chiricahua Apache, Western Cherokee, Viking German Jew and Scottish. I am Chiricahua Apache, western Cherokee, German Jew.
    I an wondering waht the Native Boarding schools cost cause I sure can not afford $40,000 a yr. I will be letting her know that there are lines if she crosses that she is out.

Any help Ideas would be deeply welcomed.

Thanks so much

Lisa
    I'm only 21 but I attended a BIA Boarding School. It's in the state of Oregan. Chemawa Indian School. I loved it alot and I can a sure u that it's not the same as I read or u know about what those/these types of schools were like back in the old days. I graduated in 07. And by what I remember, my guardians didn't have 2 pay for anything. For me personally, the Boarding School was a much better choice for me. It got me to learn how to take care of myself, tought me to believe in myself, I got closer with my traditional ways of my people, I got to learn about other tribes, some I've never ever heard of like the Urock of northern California. If it weren't for me attending Chemawa Indian School, I would probably be somewhere back on my reservation drinking or doing drugs with people that are just friends when it comes to money, drinking, and drugs.
    Now I'm part of sumthing grater and better, Life itself. I'm in the United States Navy, living here in Colorado Springs, been to Iraq once, got a car, and getting ready to go back to school.
    So if it helps any, I hope my story and many others about ways or advice to helping you in what actions you can take in dealing with your daughter.

My best to you and may Creator be with you and your love ones,

Ash

Leave a comment:

• Josiah
    replied
    Originally posted by lostapache View Post
    I got a teenage daughter 16 who has been living with me since June 2008. She was kicked out of her grandmothers house and is now on her last leg of mercy with me as well. I can fully understand if she treated her grandmother the way she did me that she got kicked out. It has come to the point that me and her father who is in a nurcing home is concitering putting her in a boarding school. Here is our problem I get SSI He ( her father) gets SSD and is in a nurcing home more likely for rest of his life. She is Navajo, Chiricahua Apache, Western Cherokee, Viking German Jew and Scottish. I am Chiricahua Apache, western Cherokee, German Jew.
    I an wondering waht the Native Boarding schools cost cause I sure can not afford $40,000 a yr. I will be letting her know that there are lines if she crosses that she is out.

Thanks so much

Lisa
    Hmmm
    I will answer your original Question
    The Boarding school system has changed and is no longer a dumping ground for troubled teens
    Sequoyah High School and Riverside Indian School are both Boarding Schools and in the BIA system
    Both Require 1/4 or more of Indian Blood and be a enrolled Member of a Federally recognized tribe
    They are located here in Oklahoma

Sequoyah Schools > Home

Riverside Indian School ~ Admissions

Leave a comment:

• SuzzeQ4
    replied
    The boarding schools were a terrible tragedy for our people, our people worked hard to shut them down.

i am not sure what kind of problems she is having but perhaps a healing lodge would be appropriate. Just google "native healing lodge youth" and read up on them, see which ones she would qualify for and which ones have an appropriate location.

Best wishes, I hope everything works out.

Leave a comment:

• lostapache
    started a topic Not sure where to put this I need help

Not sure where to put this I need help

Thanks so much

Lisa

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X