Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This "One with Nature" crap is killing us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
    I'm just getting tired of listening to some on here trashin our own. Ilnu: if your sick of un-educated NDN's then come back to canada and fight for a school (one that is open and not closed due to contanimation) in every community so that all NDN kids can go to school. It's way more productive then bad mouthin your own.
    I'm still waiting for someone to give me a straight answer of what is a 'successful NDN'. I know the definition of successful.

And why would you be considered a 'sellout' by your own people?

I'm just an old man looking for answers.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
      I'm still waiting for someone to give me a straight answer of what is a 'successful NDN'. I know the definition of successful.

Your question is one I'd like an answer to as well. I thought havin a happy life with my family made me successful. But I'm thinkin thats not everyones definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post

Hey this is one that I like, successfull can be just to wake up and see the sun again, only the individual can measure his or her own success, others that are judgemental may see this as failure. So if you are happy with who you are, not what others assume you should be, then be happy with your level of success.

Too many people try to put a square peg in a round hole! We as humans can not all be put into the same hole, we have way toooooo many characteristics that make us unique individuals.

To some it may be a claim to fame, like Robbie Robertson or Buffy Sainte Marie, to others that Elder sitting with their grand or even great grand kids and telling them of their own family past.

Success,,, tooooo many others would tell you it is only measurable in cash in the bank, that isn't success, that is greed!

Confused, I hope so! Have a great day!
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

I'm just getting tired of listening to some on here trashin our own.
          I am quite tired of "our own" being consistently worthy of derision. (They -- and they KNOW who they are -- deserve more than "trashing.")

Do you know why we are (globally) where we are, now?

HINT: It's not the White Man...

I am tired, very tired, of subjective, Native, apologists.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
            I am quite tired of "our own" being consistently worthy of derision. (They -- and they KNOW who they are -- deserve more than "trashing.")

Do you know why we are (globally) where we are, now?

HINT: It's not the White Man...

I am tired, very tired, of subjective, Native, apologists.
            I would be agreeing, but from the opposite point of view. I think we have come this far (resurgence of culture, happy families, our own universities our own business') deapite whites. Sure there is a lot more work but we'll get it done. Doesn't excuse where the government fails us or the treaties they break. You call it whinning and dependancy...i don't. If someone steals my purse i will fight to get it and all it's contents back. What would you do! Hang your head embaressed of the fuss i made?

Comment

If someone steals my purse i will fight to get it and all it's contents back.
              But you'll lose, because you're fighting for an 1890 model, they gave you the purse to begin with (reservations, entitlements), and you're -- decidedly -- NOT on equal footing.

Losing is best in this case, anyway: because it is merely acceptance of reality, allowing growth. That model is DONE.

What would you do!
              I'd start with making my own purse, not defining it using a model they gave me, only being responsible for the contents that I want in it -- not some BS romanticized model that they sold us on -- and, generally, not being a whining child that is afraid of losing his entitlement dessert for thinking on his own.

Hang your head embaressed of the fuss i made?
              Hang my head over what you are fussing about: table scraps.

Comment

Suzze - Not that I am expecting you to agree or follow my way--- but I would be embarassed over the noise made because where I come from, we usually value silent but effective responses.

Don't make a fuss over the purse-- you won't win and you look bad in the process... kinda like bringing shame to the rest of us with your outbursts...

... it would be better to either make your own new purse.

..or sneak into their house at night, kill them all, burn their house, and take the purse back...

LOL... o.k., that was alittle overboard..

But the thing is--- and I understand your view and I do have space for it and tolerance for it.. I can respect it...and I do..

...but I would not make a scene over the purse unless I was ready to actually put hands on them and take it all the way..

Otherwise, I'd let go of the purse and move on.... or I would make my own or buy another..

Of course, I run my mouth on these postingboards relentlessly, so I am in that regard, a shame to myself... hahaha..

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                  you are so right... only one thing though.. I remember east coast natives having to show those settlers HOW to live off the land to survive.
                  If I remember my history correctly, that is because the were the younger sons of wealthy landowners in Britain, and had never done a days work in their lives. They were totally unprepared.

Which is why the Scotch/Irish and Germans succeeded where the English failed. They were poor to begin with and pushed off their land by war or politics. They were already "one with the land", so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by IlnuSoldier View Post
                    Suzze - Not that I am expecting you to agree or follow my way--- but I would be embarassed over the noise made because where I come from, we usually value silent but effective responses.

Don't make a fuss over the purse-- you won't win and you look bad in the process... kinda like bringing shame to the rest of us with your outbursts...

... it would be better to either make your own new purse.

..or sneak into their house at night, kill them all, burn their house, and take the purse back...

LOL... o.k., that was alittle overboard..

But the thing is--- and I understand your view and I do have space for it and tolerance for it.. I can respect it...and I do..

...but I would not make a scene over the purse unless I was ready to actually put hands on them and take it all the way..

Otherwise, I'd let go of the purse and move on.... or I would make my own or buy another..

Of course, I run my mouth on these postingboards relentlessly, so I am in that regard, a shame to myself... hahaha..
                    One: I'd try to stop them from takin my purse (I am all for a good blocade)

Two: If I did not succeed I'd go through the proper political means. And in the case of treaty (as opposed to my purse) that should be international law, where our treaty rights should have protection
                    Not the UN...it's useless and the US and England have veto there. Where I am dissapointed is that we have not researced how to fight smart. Maybe we still end up nowhere, maybe we don't but it is better then wasting our time and money in north american courts or the UN.. One can fight a dignified a fight, but education of north americans (and apparently some ndn's) is needed to many have no idea what a treaty actually is or how it works, hense the sterotype of us whinning. Also some education about recent history would be good so that people know we are trying to stop further theft. Many think all the theft is ancient history. You explain to most that the blocade that they are complaining about is over land the government is CURRANTLY taking and they are shocked, they think it was their ancestors, not them. Fight dignified, fight smart and educate in the process, our decendants will be thankful regardless of the outcome.

Comment

im sorry to hear your metaphor got stolen..
                      thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

Suzze - I agree.. if you are going to "fight for it"...then fight with the proper tactic and be quick and deadly...

.... I, personally, get tired of seeing people whine, but not act... or when they do act, they don't follow through and the attack is weak and poorly planned..

Education is a key factor--- but enemy intel has ALWAYS been an essential part of warfare.

Eh ?

Speaking of those working the blockades-- I take a moment of silence to honor all those warriors who are CURRENTLY stepping up and doing something... they got my respect and they deserve more recognition (even though I know they would take victory over mere recognition)

Comment

Originally posted by injunboy View Post
                          im sorry to hear your metaphor got stolen..
                          Thanks, they are really hard to replace

Comment

And hard to make a new one!
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X