Feather BUSTS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feather BUSTS!

FYI - last time the U.S government forced this on our Indian relatives in the south, it had an impact on Canadian First Nat ions on this side of the boarder. A matter worth looking into. JD

This info was posted on MySpace. Just sharing....

Subject: Feather Busts

This is just a heads up as to potential problems with migratory bird feathers. I have had two e mails today, dealing with illegal migratory feather black market activity. First one - several Indians in Oregon were busted for shooting/ killing bald and golden eagles, and selling them to powwow people. The second one was from Florida , where several white boys were caught shooting 15 species of migratory bird feathers - they seemed to have no connection to Nat ive Am eric an culture and activities. As a result of the Oregon activity, one of those caught, a Kiowa boy, whom I have personally met, has been "singing" his heart out to the feds. And as a result, I am told, there were busts at White Eagle today, and also up at Haskell Institute in Lawrence , Kansas . In regards to all of this, the BIA has taken over control of the Ponca Indian Police Department, and has started to arrest people with outstanding warrents for anything and everything. They might start showing up at dances to enforce feather laws. With the April Hethushka coming up, you might wish to alert any of your members planning to attend our Spring dance, to be careful with feathers. Just a warning. As I was finishing up this e mail, just had another phone call telling me that Patrick Scott, Navajo fan maker was busted too. Looks like a major sting operation.

Willow Jack says:
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Hello everyone,

I have been following this since some friends of mine were raided last week. It has been part of an ongoing investigation for two years and anyone, ANYONE who does feather work is being targeted. Other targets are those who trade or give feathers to any of these feather- workers. From what I have noticed, the main targets have been N.A.C. peeps. Now the Eagle Act says bartering of feathers is illegal, so NO-ONE TRADE any feathers. The FEDS are really watching. Don't even openly give away any feathers.

I think those who have been involved need to contact the Nat ive Am eric an Rights Fund. This is a form of "policing" how we handle our own sacred items. Now, I am not overlooking the fact that there were some feathers poached by individuals but many of the people targeted don't even kill eagles, they trade.

Whoever 's feathers were with them people caught at the time, HAVE LOST their feathers!!!

Now if the FEDS want us to be required to carry documents, what is happening to our religious freedom and our sovereignty? What is next, peyote? More loss of sacred sites and sacred practices? I really think we should pay mind to things like this because, as one friend said "YOU WOULD NEVER SEE THEM CONFISCATING CROSSES OUT OF A CHURCH".

So if you know of anyone involved, take a stand and perhaps file a class action lawsuit or gather leaders to advocate for their people. We cannot act like this is nothing because the decisions made by the FEDS affect each and every one of us.

THANK god I have papers for my feathers and fans, they all came from the Nat ional Eagle Repository, But what about our old old feathers? I know my fam carries a warbonnet from a battle in 1867. How do we protect feathers given to us by our elders or feathers we have gotten from family members who have passed? We don't bury those things, they are sacred and must live on to carry them prayers out.

Anyway, sorry for the rant but so far the case has been building for two years, the FEDS have pics of powwow peeps and N.A.C. peeps. They have someone on their side who knows people and they are keeping tabs through snowballing.

They even have pics of peeps at Denver March last year!

IF YOU KNOW of anyone who has been raided, make sure they take names of officers, ask for a list of items taken and be as careful as they can.. I suggest a class action law suit and I suggest action be taken by our tribal leaders. Do not allow the FEDS to tell us how to be, we know how to be and do not need more paternalism than we have as Indigenous people.
    Aho,

Willow Jack* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ****Original news story - read the whole story on the link

http: / / www. oregonlive. com/ news/ oregonian/ index. ssf? / base/ news/ 123693451226335 0.xml&coll=7

Friday, March 13, 2009
    BRYAN DENSON
    The Oregonian Staff

Federal authorities have charged one man in Oregon and three in Washington in killing birds of prey -- including Am eric a 's most enduring symbol, the bald eagle -- to feed the black market for raptor feathers.

In July 2007, an undercover agent assigned to the Fish and Wildlife Service, attended the Julyamsh Powwow in Post Falls , Idaho , where he found a man hawking fans of bird feathers. The agent paid the man $450 for three fans.

According to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Portland , the man gave his name, J. J. Lonelodge, and gave the agent a cell phone number.

"I can hook you up with anything you want," the man said. Court documents now identify the man, a tribally enrolled Kiowa, as Reginald Dale Akeen, of Anadarko , Okla.

Federal agents, still undercover, made a series of phone calls to Akeen to buy feathers of golden eagles and other birds. The Nat ional Wildlife Forensics Laboratory in Ashland confirmed that the feathers purchased from Akeen belonged to golden eagles, anhinga, and a Cooper's hawk.

In September 2007, according to federal authorities, Akeen brokered the sale of a "black and white" fan on the Warm Springs Reservation.

Dawn M Jordan
    MSW Candidate, 2009
    Washington University in St. Louis
    Brown School of Social Work
    [email protected]
    ...R0Ck$...

yeah, this was already posted in a different thread, look in "powwow talk"
    Last edited by Iowa_Boy; 04-03-2009, 01:15 PM.

Comment

welcome to last month.
      So I put my hands up, they're playin' my song
      The butterflies fly away
      I'm noddin' my head like "Yeah!"
      Movin' my hips like "Yeah!"
      -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X