Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshalls Store Stereotypes Natives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marshalls Store Stereotypes Natives

    Deleted
    Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:03 PM. Reason: Deleted

  • #2
    I got one of those in the mail the other day and threw it away without really looking at it. Guess it's just as well. That's sick. Funny how stereotyping us is okay, but not other races.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NorthofAda View Post
      I got one of those in the mail the other day and threw it away without really looking at it. Guess it's just as well. That's sick. Funny how stereotyping us is okay, but not other races.
      Yes, it's a thing: but it's not a BIG thing.

      Some Indian kid is going to show up at a powwow with that bag because it looks neat, just like all the Natives I know wearing KC Chiefs or Cleveland Indians stuff.

      Oh, well.

      Comment


      • #4
        Deleted
        Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:03 PM. Reason: Deleted

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kaina1128 View Post
          this is what we call "micro-aggressions" in my profession. google it...
          This (being overtly concerned about such things) is what I call being threatened -- due to low self-esteem -- because Natives have refused to grow.

          If/when you don't socially identify with the "micro-aggression," it doesn't harm you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Deleted
            Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:03 PM. Reason: Deleted

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kaina1128 View Post
              right. so if one does not "socially" identify with tribes that do make sacred medicine bonnets out of eagle feathers, as was poorly imitated in the add and various mascots, then you do not feel anything upon looking at the picture. furthermore, you also feel no empathy to other native people who do identify with the picture and feel hurt by it. this "threatened" feeling also has a term: historical trauma. there is nothing wrong with feeling upset by looking at this image. encouraging people, teams, and add companies to be more sensitive is not backwards, but progressive. what's wrong with a little extra care taken to prevent upsetting large numbers of people or entire demographic populations?
              Because the "extra care" wags the dog and reduces us as people. I am fairly certain that tribes that DO make bonnets are not, in the least, threatened by, ahem, "this." (Oh, please.)

              At this point, in this case, historical trauma is the fault of the traumatized: sort of like the beaten wife who keeps going back...

              Let me guess, you're a social worker?

              Originally posted by Kaina1128 View Post
              but, of course, i am expecting some retort in which you presume to know much much more about these phenomena and about how other people must/should react to them by making armchair observations and assumptions; even without any clinical training, practice, or knowledge about trauma responses whatsoever. so i leave my statements at that and hope that others see the information i have posted here about marshalls and judge it by their own terms. it appears Ada and i had a similar response...wonder who else has???

              -Kaina
              Significantly less than you would presume.

              I guess we could whip out our individual degrees, clinical studies, training, trauma experience, et al: but bludgeoning each other with hours/paper/experience doesn't make my, or your, argument any stronger.

              The reality is that you're backing a form of generational shame/guilt, paying it forward, and suggesting that we swat metaphorical flies with Buicks by giving a damn, now and in the future. That's harmful.

              We should, all, just let this crap go. Lying awake at night because some campy model has on colored chicken feathers is ridiculous.

              Comment


              • #8
                Classic Protagonist....Antagonist Situation....

                Either side won't give an inch either......
                "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

                Comment


                • #9
                  The bag comment was probably supposed to be kitschy and it totally was... I don't think it was intended to appeal to today's fashion minded ndn teen.......(insert rolling eyes here). Understandably I can see why this would bother some but you can tell it was written by some flake and can chalk it up to that without taking it as a social commentary attack........the headdress thing "fun and flirty" for the photographer. Those taiwan head dresses have fallen to the catagory of silly hats along side plastic top hats and felt pirate hats... and I honestly think that if people quit paying any attention to those kinds of things, the makers would be forced to quit making them for sale.
                  Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                    I honestly think that if people quit paying any attention to those kinds of things, the makers would be forced to quit making them for sale.
                    And any "power" such items may have -- by invoking shame in the uninitiated -- ceases to exist. (As if it should exist, anyway, but you get the idea.)

                    At this point, we perpetuate drama by letting these sorts of ineffectual things impact us.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Zeke, I believe it's within the context these things are used is when we need to pick and choose our fights. As a prop in a teen fashion mag, not intended to do any harm or insult, I say chalk it up to ignorance and at the very most, write an informative..not heated letter explaining to the company or photographer how it makes you feel or what it represents to you. Most these days WILL listen because they do not want to insult potential clientel or harm sales.

                      Now if that were a frat girl using it to make fun of another girl or to insult people who are ndn directly... that's something to be offended over. Kick her *** I'd say.. but those headdresses are considered toys, retro, and most people don't associate them these day with actual native american dressage.

                      What I'm saying is stop, take a look at the situation and assess before reacting. Even if someone does feel highly offended you gotta stop and consider the source and it's intentions before you go off half cocked and try to rally supporters for a cause when it may not be necessary and a simple letter would do. So much of this activism is giving a new face to ndns and thats the "angry indian" one with no sense of humour or fun.
                      Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Blackbear View Post
                        Zeke, I believe it's within the context these things are used is when we need to pick and choose our fights. As a prop in a teen fashion mag, not intended to do any harm or insult, I say chalk it up to ignorance and at the very most, write an informative..not heated letter explaining to the company or photographer how it makes you feel or what it represents to you. Most these days WILL listen because they do not want to insult potential clientel or harm sales.

                        Now if that were a frat girl using it to make fun of another girl or to insult people who are ndn directly... that's something to be offended over. Kick her *** I'd say.. but those headdresses are considered toys, retro, and most people don't associate them these day with actual native american dressage.

                        What I'm saying is stop, take a look at the situation and assess before reacting. Even if someone does feel highly offended you gotta stop and consider the source and it's intentions before you go off half cocked and try to rally supporters for a cause when it may not be necessary and a simple letter would do. So much of this activism is giving a new face to ndns and thats the "angry indian" one with no sense of humour or fun.
                        Hey, I'm with you on this one.

                        I think even acknowledging most of this stuff is bogus. (As I said, I don't think there's any way that tribes that actually wear bonnets are the least bit threatened by this stuff.)

                        It's always the person that is threatened that goes crazy and they are -- typically -- some militant 1/256th something.

                        Now, you know I am the last person to measure someone's Nativeness via quantum, but you know what I am saying...

                        99% of this stuff is, decidedly, NOT worth worrying about, but some do it, either because they believe they are supposed to (to make their Native bones) or they are, somehow, worried at their core about perception caused by multi-color chicken feathers.

                        That's sad. And on us, not them. :(

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                          It's always the person that is threatened that goes crazy and they are -- typically -- some militant 1/256th something.
                          (
                          Well, I've met Kaina in person, and she is neither a thinblood nor a "lemming." I don't see anything "sad" about a person having strong feelings about an issue and expressing them in a public forum - whether I agree with them or not.

                          What is "sad" is that others feel the right or the need to judge whether another's convictions are worth having or not.

                          Sorry Zeke. I've agreed with you on a lot of things, but on this one not so much.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Its a Conversation.....

                            Real Basic....Sure folks are going to heat it up.....That's what makes it interesting.....Although some are better at heating particular things up....
                            "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well I'm not saying that they are being silly for being offended... not my point if that's what you are interpreting Zeke... we all have our buttons and if that's what pushes theirs then maybe this IS their fight to pick and choose.

                              I'm simply of the opinion that there was no intention in these ads to offend and that I don't feel it's worth the anger and hurt or the energy spent. I don't think things like this should be approached with the old 60's-70's style of activism and that we are way too smart to have to approach with anger and force to get our points across.
                              Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X