Enrollment query Seminole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enrollment query Seminole

Hello. I have a query about enrolling in the Seminole tribe of Oklahoma.

I have my Grandmother's CDIB, which has 1/4 "Seminole-Cherokee" listed on it.
    Am I eligible to join the Seminoles or the Cherokee?
    I have paperwork filled out for both tribes, waiting to be sent.

What does the "Seminole-Cherokee" designation mean? I think it means dual-blood, but I am not sure.

I really, really want to join the 'Noles, mainly because I am a HUGE Florida State Fan, and I want to honour their heritage. No offence to any Cherokee, but I have some 'nole blood in me so that's what I want to do.

I can find my Cherokee roots easy, but I can't find the elusive 'nole ancestor.

I would think since the CDIB mentions Seminole, I would be eligible to join. I am not sure, and until I know for sure, I don't want to enroll in a tribe randomly.

If you could help me, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
    Jamling

Originally posted by jorbathehutt View Post

What does the "Seminole-Cherokee" designation mean? I think it means dual-blood, but I am not sure.

I really, really want to join the 'Noles, mainly because I am a HUGE Florida State Fan, and I want to honour their heritage. No offence to any Cherokee, but I have some 'nole blood in me so that's what I want to do.

I would think since the CDIB mentions Seminole, I would be eligible to join. I am not sure, and until I know for sure, I don't want to enroll in a tribe randomly.

Thanks,
    Jamling
    If there are two tribes listed on the CDIB its assumed that you have the same quantum from each tribe, so it would mean in your grandmother's case one of her Parents was 1/4 Seminole and the other was 1/4 Cherokee

That would make you 1/32nd Seminole and 1/32nd Cherokee for a total of 1/16th degree of Indian Blood
    The CDIB lists total degree of Indian Blood and which tribe or tribes
    However to enroll in a tribe you must meet the requirements of that tribe nor can you be dual enrolled.
    The Seminole Tribe of Oklahoma requires at least 1/8th degree of Seminole blood in order to be enrolled in the tribe...
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Actually

Actually, my great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, so I don't know if that would effect the quantum.
      Last edited by jorbathehutt; 06-14-2009, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the long post!

I don't know if that is true or not. I can't find mention of blood quantum anywhere in their code of laws or the constitution.

From the websites I can find, you don't need any quantum to be a citizen. You claim decent from at least one enrolled ancestor.

Wikipedia says:

"Tribal enrollment is based on direct lineal descent from an original enrollee on the Final Seminole Dawes Roll by blood."

Federal Constitution:

ARTICLE II -MEMBERSHIP

The membership of this body shall consist of all Seminole citizens whose names appear on the final rolls of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma approved pursuant to Section 2 of the Act of April 26, 1906 (34 Stat. 137) and their descendants. An enrolled member of another Indian tribe shall not be eligible for membership in the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma.

Federal Code of Laws:

Section 117-A. Automatic Correction of Certain Blood Quantum Errors by Enrollment office.
        Degree of Seminole Indian blood may be amended without going through the appeal process set forth in section 113 herein, only on those membership cards issued prior to January 23, 1993. A determination of Seminole Indian blood quantum shall not be amended unless said determination sets forth a Seminole Indian blood quantum which is less than that to which the member is entitled. The blood quantum amendment may occur in either one of the following ways:
        (a) Automatic Correction of Error by Enrollment office.
        When Enrollment office personnel discover an error in blood degree on a membership card issued prior to January 23, 1993 which sets forth a Seminole Indian blood quantum which is less than that to which the member is entitled, he shall prepare a memorandum for the file stating the reason why the determination was erroneous, and shall attach any applicable supporting documentation to the memorandum. He shall submit a request for correction of blood quantum to the Enrollment office Director. Upon approval of the Enrollment office Director, a new membership card containing the corrected blood quantum shall be issued to the tribal member, and the tribal roll shall be corrected to reflect the amended blood quantum. When feasible, enrollment office personnel shall check the files of known living lineal ancestors or descendants of the member whose membership card was amended to determine if their membership cards contain the same error, and shall follow the amendment procedure set forth herein if an error is discovered.
        (b) Request for Correction of Error By Member.
        When a member of the Seminole Nation who received a membership card prior to January 23, 1993 discovers an error regarding his band affiliation or an error in blood degree on his membership card, which constitutes recognition of a Seminole Indian blood quantum which is less than that to which the member is entitled, he may submit a written request for correction of the error to the Enrollment office, stating the reason why the determination was erroneous, and shall attach any applicable supporting documentation to the request. The Enrollment office shall make a timely decision following its receipt of the request. If the Enrollment office denies the request for correction, it shall include with its decision a notice of appeal rights pursuant to section 113 herein.
        [HISTORY: Law No. 93-04, January 23, 1993; Amended by Law No. 93-22, November 6, 1993.]
        Section 118. Amendments and Repeals; Effective Dates.
        All enrollment laws of the Seminole Nation in effect as of April 13, 1991 are repealed. All other provisions of Title 22 herein which were repealed or amended subsequent to April 13, 1991 shall be deemed repealed or amended as of date of enactment of the repeal or amendment.
        [HISTORY: Law No. 93-04, January 23, 1993]
        [NOTE: ENTIRE PAST HISTORY: Ordinance No. 77-4, August 20, 1977; Ordinance No. 78-1, June 3, 1978; ordinance No. 78-2, June 3, 1978; Ordinance No. 79-2, February 23, 1979; Ordinance No. 90-8, December I, 1990; ordinance No. 91-03 A, April 13, 1991; Codified by Law 91-12, November 16, 1991; Amended by Law 93-04, January 23, 1993; Amended by Law No. 93-07, March 6, 1993; Amended by Law No. 93-22, November 6, 1993.]

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Actually, my great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee, so I don't know if that would effect the quantum.
            Ok
            Her Mom was 1/2 Cherokee WHAT was her Father??? That must be the Seminole side

They count blood Quantum like this
            Paternal Side you recieve 1/2 of there blood Quantum
            Maternal Side you recieve 1/2 of there blood Quantum
            At each Generation

So if your Grandmother was 1/4 Cherokee she would pass on 1/2 of that in this case 1/8th then 1/16 and so forth

Here is the Official Website of the Seminole Nation
            The Official Homepage of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

Thanks,
              Jamling
              Dude, If the reason you want to claim Seminole s is because you can brag to your friends that you have the same name as your favorite University, then that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard!!!

By the way you posted this, you make it sound like you don't have any intent on honoring your ancestors. You probably found your granny's ID and hollered, "Hell yeah, I'm a Seminole!!!", s in the same name as FSU. You probably never visited your granny or she would have told you what she was, thus, what you were, when you were a small child.

Do NDNs a favor and stay white, black, blue, yellow or whatever color you've claimed to be all your life.

Don't be doing the indigenous people of this land a favor by becoming a 'Nole'.

Jim

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by lbgood View Post
                Wow! sounds like you really thought about this thoroughly utilizing relevant decision making criteria as it will be with you for the rest of your life.

Florida State should be honored and secondly the Seminole Nation might be honored as well or not LOL
                Talk NDN...I don't understand those big words!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Last edited by lbgood; 07-30-2009, 03:39 AM.

Comment

<cry>I am deeply sorry and dishonoured about all of this. I didn't mean for it to be like this.

Goodbye.
                    </cry>

***runs away***

Comment

Joe's Dad - Yea.. this guy is one of those "Mayoki Indians" from Pensacola.... they like to run around Pensacola dressed in neon Lakota-wear (neon blue buffalo headdresses and plastic pony beads..etc.) and get drunk and disorderly in public..

funny thing is... Pensacola (which we all know to be a backwater racists little hole in the sand) allows them to do this with NO arrests, warnings,etc.etc...
                      (They also have these really inappropriate "boat parties"..yea, I will let you figure out what they do at those parties)

Anyway... you would figure that the cops would book them for drunken disorder or that they would receive some sort of VIOLATION for running around and being so racial insensative..etc.etc..

However--- and here is the WORST part ---

-- most of the members of the "Mayoki Indians" ... ARE the Cops... the Lawyers.. the Judges... the City COuncil...etc.etc..

Pensacola and Pensacola Beach is home to Ft. Pickens--- which was used a Prison to hold Apache P.O.W.s

... and to this day..

... it still remains anti-native .. anti-black... anti-anything that is not W.A.S.P.

And this guy comes.. whole-heartedly... from there.

So yea..

you get the full picture now.

p.s.

I actually was in Pensacola once... yea.. don't ask... anyway... to give you an idea..

There was a store named "Geronimo's Spirit" and it was a LIQUOR STORE !!!
                      Yea... how is that for azz-bAkW3rDz ?
                      Last edited by IlnuSoldier; 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X