Cherokee needed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee needed :)

I have been assigned a college research paper that must be done on a culture to which I do not belong. I chose the Cherokee. I would need to ask a couple of question about the culture (what you do, what the social norms are, any particular group of things that are special to the tribe, etc.)

If anyone would like to take just a little time to help, I would be SO appreciative. Thanks :)

What the social norms are, huh? Could you define all of those for the dominant culture in one research paper -- double spaced, 12 point font please? I doubt it.

Old college instructor speaking here. Narrow your topic. First rule of good research papers: don't bite off more than you can chew.

Narrow your inquiry to societal norms in one area of life -- family structure, food ways... Go for something manageable. Also, stay away from the obviously sacred. People aren't going to tell an outsider and if they do, they're lying or speaking out of turn.

Second Indian people have been studied to death. Many of us are tired of being people's term papers, research projects, summer mission trips.... So don't wear your heart on your sleeve and be prepared for a few people to slap you down.

Third haul your fanny out of your seat in front of your keyboard, get out and meet people face to face. Don't whine about how much homework you have or how few Indians there are in your college. (You can't sling a dead cat in North American without hitting an Indian. So, they're there if you look.) If you want to learn about us then prove it by putting in the time and effort to meet us in person.

That said, good luck with your paper.

Comment

Make life easier on yourself and choose a culture that you have friends you can get your answers from. If you want to know more about Cherokees you can do it in your spare time and probably write your paper much faster and get a better grade on it. Or not...

If you can't get enough info i'd be happy to make some up for you.
      ScarryWolf

Comment

Originally posted by BigChef View Post
        Make life easier on yourself and choose a culture that you have friends you can get your answers from. If you want to know more about Cherokees you can do it in your spare time and probably write your paper much faster and get a better grade on it. Or not...

hahahahahaha

Comment

Okay, thank you guys. I really didn't mean to offend anyone, and if I did, I can't be more sorry. I always had an appreciation for all Native cultures, and I thought that Intercultural Communication 115 would be a great opportunity to explore it more. Once again, I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by silverwing13 View Post
            Okay, thank you guys. I really didn't mean to offend anyone, and if I did, I can't be more sorry. I always had an appreciation for all Native cultures, and I thought that Intercultural Communication 115 would be a great opportunity to explore it more. Once again, I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone.
            I'm surely not offended, just trying to help you along with your paper. To get a paper of any worth you would have to do as old chemist says, talk to people in meat space. Due to time constraints and blah blah blah, it's probably better to do as I say (as all people should do IMHO, I'm just wise) and just take on a culture you have easy access to and save the Chairokees for your own personal enrichment off of school time.
            ScarryWolf

Comment

I'm surely not offended, just trying to help you along with your paper. To get a paper of any worth you would have to do as old chemist says, talk to people in meat space. Due to time constraints and blah blah blah, it's probably better to do as I say (as all people should do IMHO, I'm just wise) and just take on a culture you have easy access to and save the Chairokees for your own personal enrichment off of school time.
              Bigchiefydude...u r so wise you should be the bigchiefydude of the Chairokees!

If I ever have to write a paper, I'm looking you up!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I have been assigned a college research paper that must be done on a culture to which I do not belong. I chose the Cherokee. I would need to ask a couple of question about the culture (what you do, what the social norms are, any particular group of things that are special to the tribe, etc.)

If anyone would like to take just a little time to help, I would be SO appreciative. Thanks :)
                Sorry i am not cherokee. If u don't know any cherokee people Have u tried to google cherokee indians on the internet. since u went through the trouble of finding this site. Go to a powwow find a cherokee and aproach with respect and ask questions. Ask your professor on what u should do. maybe someone will be nice enough to answer some questions of yours on here. You have to more in detail what u want to know. Not college talk lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post

Maybe chiefydude of the Pairokeys people (yeah percap so we got two rides!)
                  ScarryWolf

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post

i really needed a laugh today...thank you both so much

ok, so i know you two are not one and the same, are you brothers maybe? lol

Comment

America's Intercultural Communication was with bullets and cannons...back in the day....

So, your professor sent you out to study a culture you are not part of? He must be under-grad student professor....it might be educational for HIM if he would read these posts.

Intercultural Communication, if only it was easy... like in college...LOL.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
                        So, your professor sent you out to study a culture you are not part of? He must be under-grad student professor....it might be educational for HIM if he would read these posts.
                        errrr...

With respect, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for Silverwing13 to study a group/culture that she belongs to. I don't know about her Intercultural Comm. class, but it is a common assignment for Sociology and Cultural Anthropology students. You can't pick a group you belong to b/c you can't be objective about your own group. In Cultural Anthropology 101 my research paper dealt with a very small Christian religious sect that my gf at the time belonged to. Even that was unacceptable, b/c how can you be objective when you're, ahem, "bumpin' uglies" with your primary informant? (My prof. was unaware of the relationship.) "Cultures" can be lots of things: ethnic, racial, religious, professional.....
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I put the blame on Silverwing's professor. What if Silverwing had landed in a plastic shaman website? and then prepared a paper based upon those ideas?

Silverwing instead wound up here looking for "Native American Information" not realizing this is a sub-forum FOR Natives. And, learned sumpthin ennyways!

Maybe Silver should try a different group. One time, I went into the Mormon Center in Old Town San Diego. Within a half-hour I knew everything about their culture and history...and it took another half-hour to convince them to let go of me LOL

Where's the exit???
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
                            One time, I went into the Mormon Center in Old Town San Diego. Within a half-hour I knew everything about their culture and history...and it took another half-hour to convince them to let go of me LOL

Where's the exit???
                            Boy, I remember that place! I was a kid and we were on vacation in SD. Thoguht we were going into a history exhibit - next thing you know they're preaching about some golden plates and the angel Moroni - we couldn't get out of there fast enough!!!

Comment

Oh, I totally agree with you AmigoK. The internet isn't the place to get information for a research paper. Like OlChemist said, if Silverwing13 wants to write a paper about NDNs, she needs to narrow her topic and get up off her butt and actually go talk to some NDNs.

I was just commenting that, imo, she's on the right track choosing an unfamiliar culture, but her methodology is definitely flawed.

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.