• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Months in the Slammer!

http://indiancountrynews.net/index.p...2305&Itemid=33

Arizona man sentenced for destroyed petroglyphs

Las Vegas, Nevada (AP) September 2011

A 21-year-old Arizona man has been sentenced to 15 months in federal prison for shooting paintballs at petroglyphs in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Nevada.

Federal prosecutors announced Monday that David Smith of Bullhead City was also ordered to pay a nearly $10,000 fine. He must serve one year of supervised probation after his release and perform 50 hours of community service.

Smith pleaded guilty in May to unlawful defacement of an archaeological resource.

He told the court he shot paintball pellets at the Native American rock art near the Grapevine Canyon area in March 2010 after he saw signs warning that it was illegal to damage or deface them.

Colorado River Tribes consider the area sacred.
    sigpic

why would someone do that??...what compels someone to do something like that?
    I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

Originally posted by trouble View Post
      why would someone do that??...what compels someone to do something like that?

Hard to find a mature 21 year-old in the USA nowadays.

Too much MTV and shoot-em-up video games / not enough history, culture, and respect for others.
      sigpic

Comment

Basic disrespect for others. People should know better long before they become adults.

Sentenced to 15 months - so he'll be able to get out in 11 - 12 months?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RDNKJ View Post
          Basic disrespect for others. People should know better long before they become adults.

Sentenced to 15 months - so he'll be able to get out in 11 - 12 months?
          Federal sentences must be served at least 85% with good behavior before probation can begin...and the felony conviction will follow him.

Hopefully, a message to others will result from this.

People would be outraged if some nut went into an art museum and started shooting up Rembrants, Van Goghs, Da Vincis, etc.

Ancient aboriginal art is even more precious.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I thought it was something like that for federal sentences.

About the same sentence as for some drug crimes. Glad it wasn't just a slap on the wrist. Hopefully people with take note and realize you can go to prison for that type of chit!
            sigpic

Comment

He needs to be glad he's not my kid. He would be doing 15 months hard labor, with no time off for good behavior, after this 15 months.
              Take nothing for granted. Life can change irrevocably in a heartbeat.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X