• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elizabethbelcourt
    Pow Wow Visitor
    • Mar 2010

Healing Through the Arts: Art and Spirituality

I'm planning conferences for the month of July, August and September. They will be during the week of the Arlee Pow wow, Browning Pow wow, Rocky Boy Pow wow and Bismark Pow wow. I'm wondering how much interest there is out there to learn about art therapy and Native spirituality. I'm currently working as a therapist with clients on art therapy and spirituality and find it helpful for those who have had trauma in their lives to express themselves through art...I will have Sam English, Native American artist as one of my guest speakers as well as Native healers.
  • elizabethbelcourt
    Pow Wow Visitor
    • Mar 2010

Art Therapy

Art therapy and spirituality conferences 2014

contact elizabethbelcourt[MENTION=40822]yahoo[/MENTION].com
    Last edited by elizabethbelcourt; 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM. Reason: added email

Comment

• solitare
      Champion Dancer
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by elizabethbelcourt View Post
      I'm planning conferences for the month of July, August and September. They will be during the week of the Arlee Pow wow, Browning Pow wow, Rocky Boy Pow wow and Bismark Pow wow. I'm wondering how much interest there is out there to learn about art therapy and Native spirituality. I'm currently working as a therapist with clients on art therapy and spirituality and find it helpful for those who have had trauma in their lives to express themselves through art...I will have Sam English, Native American artist as one of my guest speakers as well as Native healers.
      [MENTION=80810]elizabethbelcourt[/MENTION],could you clarify what you mean by Native spirituality ?

Comment

• milehighsalute
        Dances With Fat Chicks
        • May 2012

looks like alot of interest.....look at all the bored housewives and twinkie wannabes out there......sedona AZ is living proof that you can build a whole industry off of it
        "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

• wyo_rose
          Ready to dance
          • Jun 2002

OK, twinkie patrol, don't assume everyone that posts a certain phrase is a new ager.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Grits & Beans
            Ugh. As. If.
            • Jan 2003

is there gonna be free food? lol

Comment

• wardancer
              I'm still here with Eyes!
              • Sep 2000

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
              OK, twinkie patrol, don't assume everyone that posts a certain phrase is a new ager.
              Maybe not , maybe it's another ndn selling the culture.....pay here for wise old ndn secrets !
              I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
              It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• wardancer
                • Sep 2000

Oh , but it's O.K. cause they're ndn.......hmmmmm......

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• solitare
                  Champion Dancer
                  • Mar 2013

OK, twinkie patrol,

Comment

• wyo_rose
                    Ready to dance
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by wardancer View Post
                    Oh , but it's O.K. cause they're ndn.......hmmmmm......
                    Yeah, it's okay because she's an ndn therapist trying to help other ndns .

Most of you all in the rest of the country have been bombarded with new agers, twinkles, etc... and have your feathers already ruffled.

But up this way - Montana/North Dakota, there's not so many. And who says she's even charging.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

• milehighsalute
                      Dances With Fat Chicks
                      • May 2012

indians are twinkies too....just look at james uqualla or joseph rael

but yeah wyo.....youre probably right........maybe its the area i am from and the constant bombardment that makes some of us bitter....you do have a good point there
                      "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

• wardancer
                        • Sep 2000

Sometimes people can have the best intent at heart and still be wrong....

And anytime you start advertising native healers.....then there's issues

Down this way we don't see that. We know who our "Holy People" are....we don't call them shaman, medicine men, etc , etc. Generally when they start that type of language , they're pegged right off as twinkies or new agers.

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• wardancer
                          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
                          but yeah wyo.....youre probably right........maybe its the area i am from and the constant bombardment that makes some of us bitter....you do have a good point there

Yeah , I can agree with that !

sigpic

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

• solitare
                            Champion Dancer
                            • Mar 2013

Yeah, it's okay because she's an ndn therapist trying to help other ndns .

Most of you all in the rest of the country have been bombarded with new agers, twinkles, etc... and have your feathers already ruffled.

But up this way - Montana/North Dakota, there's not so many. And who says she's even charging.
                            Hence the reason for my question to her. I hope she clarifies what she means by native spirituality before any of us jump to assumptions. I know that art therapy has shown to be promising for many people challenged by difficulties. Hope she answers.
                            Last edited by solitare; 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Joe's Dad
                              The voices tell me...
                              • Nov 2004

Y'all ain't seen sh!t about twinkies. I'm at work, but wait til I get home. lol

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.