For the better or for the worst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the better or for the worst?

I voted to call us a nation but i don't really agree. I believe that we are still tribe. Our Nation is Haudenosaunee. We are people of Turtle Island. Are we cutting our-self's because of the immigrants that call them self Americans. I'm just making sure were not. It seems like we are doing better then how they started us, so maybe I should wait and see. Young Turtle islander thoughts ...

Welcome to powwows.com.
    When you are dead you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

"Show me somethin"

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleWise View Post
      I voted to call us a nation but i don't really agree. I believe that we are still tribe.
      So , what do you see is the difference ? Tribe / Nation. Is it the governance ? Our tribe still has our traditional chiefs in place , and our Nation has a State style of govt. Nation/Tribe....same thing
      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

imo a tribe is a group of people stemming from same family, cultural background, a nation is a word for combining people from several backgrounds. Maybe also a word for a big society of same tribe. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritflight View Post
          imo a tribe is a group of people stemming from same family, cultural background, a nation is a word for combining people from several backgrounds. Maybe also a word for a big society of same tribe. I don't know.
          Well, the black bold is exactly right. Also we have different tribes that are label themselves who they are and their different tongues including their cultures and traditions. A lot of tribes are recognized by the government except only very few tribes are not.

If you are talking about Nation, like in Canada where we have First Nation which is our tribe in a village. For the United States like the government, The President and the Senate including the Republicans said that United States is a Nation. That is different. In our NDN culture, we just use the term Nation only in our villages. I hope that make sense.
          Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

Originally posted by TurtleWise View Post
            I voted to call us a nation but i don't really agree. I believe that we are still tribe. Our Nation is Haudenosaunee. We are people of Turtle Island. Are we cutting our-self's because of the immigrants that call them self Americans. I'm just making sure were not. It seems like we are doing better then how they started us, so maybe I should wait and see. Young Turtle islander thoughts ...
            A more recent trend is for members of various nations to refer to themselves by their tribal or national identity only. (I copied this)

I asked a friend the other day what he was. He said he was white. I asked where his family was from. He said Norway.

Who originated the word 'Nation'?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
              A more recent trend is for members of various nations to refer to themselves by their tribal or national identity only. (I copied this)

I asked a friend the other day what he was. He said he was white. I asked where his family was from. He said Norway.

Who originated the word 'Nation'?

I'm not certain, but I think the federal gov'ment first started using the term 'Nation' for native tribes.

Comment

I have been thinking about where "Nation" come from. I think Nation is a country that have like a tribe with culture and tradition like for example, Norway is their one culture and tradition. So are all other countries of same (different) culture and tradition. That is where we get the word "Nation" come from. So here we have different tribes of different tribal names like in Canada whether we have Cree or Ojibwe or Mohawk (they only have territory, not "Nation"). So that is why we have different Nation in different villages with our village names.

The only thing I don't understand is why would United States would want to be called "Nation" if everyone is different like a melting pots? We don't all have the same cultures and traditions like Spanish speaking people using their language and culture. We are all diverse people. Of course, white people has or had tried to make us be like them as they wanted us to be like them. I guess the White Society won and we could not go back the way we were. We lost them. But some tribes managed to hold on to their tribal languages. So that is good.

This is just my guess.
                Gegiibishedjig (Deaf Person)

Comment

A flag for a nation?

Comment

Why is this in the Military threads? This has nothing to do with the military at all. Where is a moderator when you need one?
                    sigpic
                    R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Comment

*This thread has been moved to this location as it is more appropriate for the topic*
                      CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
                      sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Tribe in English cares connotations of the primitive and is considered somewhat less than a nation. It is bound by kinship, common religious practice and language. The term nation is more closely aligned with the idea of the nation-state. It is popularly conceived of as a group bound by common language, geography, cultural identity, and political institutions. (Yes, I'm sure the linguists, sociologists and anthros can pick nits with these definitions.)

I think the reason for the falderal over the term is the colonial legacy of the word tribe. In the popular political imagination ideas like: sovereignty, political sophistication, modernity, high culture, etc do not attach to tribes. Instead tribes are primitive, backwards, less than nations. People who fight for the use of nation rather than tribe are trying to change the popular perception of their people and their institutions.

Again note, I am speaking of the popular culture accretions with these terms not the academic.
                        Last edited by OLChemist; 05-27-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.