Losing Indian Blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Indian Blood

Since growing up, I have always been told to learn the traditions and language of our people. My parents have instilled this into me, as their parents instilled into them. They also told me to always marry another Native...another Indian. If I don't, then my kids would lose any Indian blood. This has always been a sort of mantra for me while growing up.

My parents are not racists, or they wouldn't have let me date other people outside my own race, but to marry someone outside my own race is another thing. For them, you should always try and keep the "blood." Otherwise, our tribal heritage ( from a small tribe) would die out.

Looking at other natives inter-marrying other races, their kids have it hard. They are grown into mixed blood. Think of generations ahead, their offspring will be considered the 1/200 blood quantum.

Who let these things happens? We do. Is it the offsprings' fault? I think not.

It all starts with us...the first people. We let ourselves get mixed up.

I can understand that sometimes we cannot help who we fall in love (or lust), but in reality I think it does.

Would you want your future generations to say they are 1/200th degree?

Think about it.
    Last edited by Direct_Effect; 01-25-2004, 04:40 PM.

You are right Direct... my kids are all (all two of them ) are full blooded navajo's :D...sooo in order to keep our blood lines full ..i think its our job as offsprings lol.. to talk to our kids about how important it is to carry on our full blooded-ness i know thats not even a word *L*

Comment

Re: Losing Indian Blood

Originally posted by Direct_Effect
      Since growing up, I have always been told to learn the traditions and language of our people. My parents have instilled this into me, as their parents instilled into them. They also told me to always marry another Native...another Indian. If I don't, then I'd lose my Indian blood. This has always been a sort of mantra for me while growing up.
      That's how it was for me. ;)
      Hockey is soul food.

Comment

mixed up

TRUE. take it from me.....Two of my greatgrand fathers were full bloods, one married a (different tribe) another a blond german woman. There kids (my grandparents ).. one married indian (different tribe) one white. my parents found each other (thank goodness) so here I am mixed white and three tribes. Dancing at home there is no problem, every body knows us, life is great, but get out of state, and man.....people wonder. I married a mixed blood (different tribe) now my kids are real mutts. It is hard on them. Now they are in their twenties, they have to make hard choices. I prefer them to marry within one of our tribes.. but as lots of you say ...modern times..
        This goes back to a lot that is being said all over this board. I speak pretty good Indian, my kids only know how say a few things, that is my fault. So now what, I guess I will start with my grandkids, whatever they are. But even if they are more white, or whatever, I want them with me. So maybe even more blonde Indians dancing.
        Last edited by storm; 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM.
        My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

_____

Direct E:

The advice of your parents is correct. If we don't continue our tribal bloodlines, our tribes will become mixed and die out.

However,

if you ARE a member of a small tribe, chances are:

1. Any relationship you wish to enter is with a relative or clan member.

2. The choices are limited and you do not see any eligible tribal members as a potential, life-long companion for one reason or another.

Have you heard of a "Catch 22?"
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
            _____

if you ARE a member of a small tribe, chances are:

1. Any relationship you wish to enter is with a relative or clan member.

2. The choices are limited and you do not see any eligible tribal members as a potential, life-long companion for one reason or another.

Have you heard of a "Catch 22?"
            Hey, that's so true. My tribe or tribes are small , and we often wonder, "are we related?" In some way or another, we are. There's even some tribal members that don't even bother asking each other's clans. They end up marrying into the same one. It's so odd.

It's also funny hearing, "oh, it's ok to marry someone who is your 3rd cousin and beyond."

My husband and I are related way, way down the road somewhere. Kind of.......weird, ennit?
            Bead All You Can Bead

Comment

This is from a Whaw Knob Bee, so take that in mind.
              You all speak with such compassion for the childrenthat are losing their blood.
              Could not be in Gods plan.
              I mean, well, we are out here, in America, and beyond.
              There are tens of millions of these children, lost ndn children with mixed blood, and these children are being called to the fullbloods for a reason.
              We see the phenomena all the time.
              It is such a growng thing that we joke about it everyday in here, on this board.
              But they are the lost children.
              They are seeking to find a way home.
              Perhaps full bloods , who have withstood the trials of these last 500 years.
              God judged the people, and God cleans our people thru fire, war, disease, dispare, coruption, occupation, and all other forms of man made devistation.
              What are the stories of the Rainbow Warriors.
              All bloods shou;d be listening.
              Think about these things
              ------------------
              " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
              If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
              We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
              And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

stirbaby, I don"t understand a thing you wrote? Are you saying God trying to get rid of us?? or what? I hope i misread you cause it sounds scary.

Comment

Well what people on here are actually full blooded native...Im 3/4 Comanche and 1/4 kiowa, last time I checked I was 100%...A lot of these people in here are crazy crackerz
                  :indian2: MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME IM FINE:muscles:

" say what I feel, I say what I think, I say what you do not like, Yet for some reason what I say is somewhat correct" Chief Big Beef 1999

Comment

Originally posted by SBZ4life
                    Well what people on here are actually full blooded native...Im 3/4 Comanche and 1/4 kiowa, last time I checked I was 100%...A lot of these people in here are crazy crackerz

*LMAO* crazy crackerz

I know huh... I'm a 4/4 navajo so are my kids :D

either crazy crackers or walking corpses *LMAO* :rofl2:

Comment

"stirbaby, I don"t understand a thing you wrote? Are you saying God trying to get rid of us?? or what? I hope i misread you cause it sounds scary."

I hope your not saying what I think your saying cause it sounds Ed.

Am I a crazee cracker.
                      Well, for your convenience, just call me what you hate.
                      ------------------
                      " We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
                      If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
                      We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
                      And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )

Comment

blood

Stirbaby, now I am really confused.
                        I am only saying I did not understand your point about the millions of lost indian children.
                        I am not calling anybody names either...

Comment

It's a version of natural selection but in this case the selection process is in the hands of the selector or who you choose to be with. Myself I'm full blood and I want nothing less. All my kids are full blood except my youngest but I don't see her so let her mom raise her her way. I moved off rez so I didn't fall for a relative!
                          -Don't hate me because I'm
                          wise beyond my years-

Comment

Indian Blood

This is a good subject and took a lot of guts to post.

I have grandsons who are very handsome boys, they are living in the city now and joke about how they are related to everyone back in OK. (2 are my blood grandsons, 3 are my grandsons while away from their natural grandmother back home)

But the problem in big cities is that young girls, white, black, mexican et al. are so much more agressive, than Ndn girls would be on the rez with parents/grandparents monitoring what's going on. Some of these non-ndn girls purpose to get 'an Ndn baby'.

So I tell them not to sow their seed by the wayside and always protect themselves.

As a mixed blood I too would prefer that all my grandchildren marry Ndn, not because I don't like the physical mix, but because more than just blood is lost. Our culture and way of doing things passes with the thinning of the blood. A mixed culture marriage is full of compromise and all to often the Euro culture starts to dominate....then finally all recollection of language/tradition is lost.

This happens with all mixtures not just NDN: Latinos who don't speak spanish, Asians & Africans who don't speak their languages and on and on it goes.

jus my 2cents

cc

Comment

Originally posted by Stirbaby
                              This is from a Whaw Knob Bee, so take that in mind.
                              What are the stories of the Rainbow Warriors.

rainbow warriors...they from that rainbow tribe??
                              "would u like to lick the frybread greaze off of my lippz??"

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.