Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Rap and Hip-Hop...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Native Rap and Hip-Hop...

    Okay so I know I'm going to have quiet a few people at me for this but I just don't get why native people try and make rap and hip-hop music...Almost all of my friends and family really like it...But I see no point in what most of the up coming artists are rapping about...Am I the only person who doesn't like Native Rap and Hip-Hop?! Let me know
    Take advantage of all the dirty looks you get now, They may not last forever

  • #2
    I don't think there's anything wrong with rap and hip hop per se... but I do have a prob with the messages (or lack there of). More to life than gang bangin, gettin banged, and/or tore down. There are some artists out there that are actually talkin about something...... few and far between though.
    SHAKE IT!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Hip-Hop music has developed from a "novelty" style that originated in the underground clubs and back alleys of the inner city, to the most popular music genre on earth. Hip-Hop can be found on just about every continent (I will get back to you about Antartica), in most countries, cultures, and languages.

      Hip-Hop has been called the "Soundtrack to the Streets", and the youth of today find it easier to relate. It is not for everyone, and not every one has to like it. But it's here.
      ***Edited for explicit content***

      Comment


      • #4
        If it was Rock 'N' Roll or something Ultra White....Or so called White.....Well it would be Okay then right......LOL....
        "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

        Comment


        • #5
          I like it. Litefoot, Haida, and Boys on the Rez... some of it's really good and some of it sounds like half azzed attempts.. but i've noticed alot of us out there like both hip hop and rap.. so it's good that there's some native stuff out there that can be identified with and not just mainstream inner city stuff.
          Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Singing Otter
            I don't think there's anything wrong with rap and hip hop per se... but I do have a prob with the messages (or lack there of). More to life than gang bangin, gettin banged, and/or tore down. There are some artists out there that are actually talkin about something...... few and far between though.
            I don't see any thing wrong either but I don't listen to the hard rapping songs. But give a pat on the back to those native artists making a name for them and for other native artists to go for it even if the main percent of people don't listen to it.

            :agree?:

            Comment


            • #7
              I like some of it and listen to it occasionally but not the cussing and foul stuff. My son is an aspiring artist and he is always running his music by me. He raps about rez life but doesn't focus on rez life only. Anyway, we have our own tribal radio station and sometimes his music is played on there and it's cool. I support him in his endeavors and hope that he succeeds.
              Frankly, I don't know how I raised a son to be a rapper, but I did. Myself, I go to ceremonies and am quite involved with traditional things here at home. My son always went with me and knows our songs and sings them when he sweats. The other guys that he performs with come over and they all sweat and pray too, so I'm very proud of them and encourage them to stay on a good path. Very encouraging to see our young men still practicing their traditional ways and yet be a hip hop artist. Very cool and more power to them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SmokeEater
                Hip-Hop music has developed from a "novelty" style that originated in the underground clubs and back alleys of the inner city, to the most popular music genre on earth. Hip-Hop can be found on just about every continent (I will get back to you about Antartica), in most countries, cultures, and languages.

                Hip-Hop has been called the "Soundtrack to the Streets", and the youth of today find it easier to relate. It is not for everyone, and not every one has to like it. But it's here.
                Yep, it's in Antarctica, too. Some of the guyz at the science bases and naval support stations to the science bases like it.
                "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  To each his/her own. Why can't we all just get along and sing "we are the world, we are the children?" :agree?: :agree?: :huddle: :1Party: :blow: :mrcool: :39:
                  yeah, yeah, yeah...

                  ...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

                  If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Huge fan of Rap right here! I say Rap because Hip Hop encompasses more than just Rap.

                    I don't care too much for some of today's new stuff. I am a big fan of the days of Sugar Hill and Melle Mel to the days of Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions.

                    I thought it was funny that back in the day, Public Enemy was critiqued so harshly for their political views, and nowadays are reference by Time and US Weekly mags.

                    Never really got into Native Rap though. But hey, if a fella or gal wants to make an honest buck, more power to them,
                    It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      k 1st of all what im about to say is my opinion not yours but im totally against NATIVES singing rap orhiphop songs im mean like y they tryin to act like f niggers when there not and there singing about the most crappiest things like sex drugs and booze and in the 1st place y they tryin act black man they should stick to there culture not sing some f***en mumbo jumbo
                      im sorry but im really into my culture and these natives who sing rap songs or hip hop whatever r nothing but nigger wannabes and if u got anyhting to say to me then say it cause what u say wont really matter to me bye bye :Chatter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thought I would point out that the Hip Hop movement was not exclusively a Black thing.

                        Many Italians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and I bet others, were involved in the whole thing.

                        The greatest Break Dance crew ever, the Rock Steady Crew are Puerto Ricans.
                        It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          yeah so whatever

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            first let me say this, I am by no means a fan of hip hop, or rap. However, it is my belief that the indians that are turning to that, and are singing it, are doing so to reach the younger generation. Each generation has their style of music.

                            Yes, the traditional ways are more important, however if it means reaching out to our youth through music and this is the only way they can, then why not use the music to their advantage?

                            But, that is only my opinion.
                            Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

                            ~Though I wear a shirt and tie
                            I'm still part red man deep inside!~
                            <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

                            A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JUS ME
                              k 1st of all what im about to say is my opinion not yours but im totally against NATIVES singing rap orhiphop songs im mean like y they tryin to act like f niggers when there not and there singing about the most crappiest things like sex drugs and booze and in the 1st place y they tryin act black man they should stick to there culture not sing some f***en mumbo jumbo
                              im sorry but im really into my culture and these natives who sing rap songs or hip hop whatever r nothing but nigger wannabes and if u got anyhting to say to me then say it cause what u say wont really matter to me bye bye :Chatter
                              See...This is pretty much how I feel about it...But minus the "f***en" and the "n***er"...I mean...The old school Hip-Hop is cool...But JUS ME has a point...I have a lot of family...Who act like they are black...I just don't get it...I mean...Are you not happy and proud to be native or what...?...
                              Take advantage of all the dirty looks you get now, They may not last forever

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X