Tobacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobacco

Tobacco is considered a very sacred healing and prayer aid amongst Native American country. Do you think that smoking Cigarettes (which are poisoned with over 4,000 chemicals and kill roughly 400,000 people a year) is disrespectful? Can it be considered medicinal abuse from a religious P.O.V?

I have a persuasive speech comin up...I'd love to hear feedback from all smokers and non-smokers!
    Yes
    75.00%
    No
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

..::First ever 2002-2003 Powwows.com Princess::..
    ~*~*~* The original POWWOWCHIC49 *~*~*~
    *~*JINGLE IT*~*

Well, I guess that depends... Do you mean using cigarettes as opposed to loose tobacco in a prayer setting? Using twist tobacco to "roll your own"? Abuse because you are using something considered sacred by some, in order to satisfy your not-sacred addiction? Abuse because you are using a commercial product for a prayer?

Yes, I think it all really depends. Upon the user, the circumstances, and the heart of the individual. Almost anything could be justified by anybody under the right circumstances. By the same token, almost anything could be abused by anybody under the WRONG circumstances...

Tom

Comment

well...I asked an uncle about this once,( he passed away in the 70's.) I will use english, even though it does not explain it as well as he did in indian....
      He said that all tobacco was holy, powerful medicine. Some kinds more so than others...he said it was filled with power (hube) He said we use tobacco for prayer or rites and pass that power on. he believed that in the overuse of tobacco for everyday smokes that power just built up in us and had no place to go. It could cause things to be a certain way.. and so sometimes that power grew in us, without an outlet and we got sick.
      Not very scientific, but it is how he believed ....
      My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

I agree with Hockey fan
        "Tell me friend, you who dwells in the dark and the deep, How may I venture unafraid, into the dark world of half death"

Comment

Aneen
          My Signature says it all here Asema is Sacred.
          Chi Migwetch, WPD
          Asema Is Sacred
          Traditional Use, Not Misuse
          Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
          OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

i dont think regular smoking is disrespectful but i think its unhealthy. I like storm's explanation. V cool. :Thumbs
            The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by storm
              well...I asked an uncle about this once,( he passed away in the 70's.) I will use english, even though it does not explain it as well as he did in indian....
              He said that all tobacco was holy, powerful medicine. Some kinds more so than others...he said it was filled with power (hube) He said we use tobacco for prayer or rites and pass that power on. he believed that in the overuse of tobacco for everyday smokes that power just built up in us and had no place to go. It could cause things to be a certain way.. and so sometimes that power grew in us, without an outlet and we got sick.
              Not very scientific, but it is how he believed ....
              That's a very good explaination. I smoke everyday and reading this made me think. It sounds true. But I know a lot of people that were raised very tradtional and smoke. Ya know storm if I read this same saying everyday I probably will quit. Cuz now it got me thinking. I really never thought of that in this way, until now. I always told everyone that told me sema for praying and not to abuse it, whatever.

Comment

makes perfect sense to me... now if Only I can turn that power into will power to quit smoking... Nya-weh storm.. had never thought about it that way till now.
                Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear... just sing, sing a song.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Passion49
                  Tobacco is considered a very sacred healing and prayer aid amongst Native American country. Do you think that smoking Cigarettes (which are poisoned with over 4,000 chemicals and kill roughly 400,000 people a year) is disrespectful? Can it be considered medicinal abuse from a religious P.O.V?

I have a persuasive speech comin up...I'd love to hear feedback from all smokers and non-smokers!
                  You pose a very interesting question, and it ultimately will come down to who you talk to, what day of the week it is, and where the sun happens to be as it treks across the sky.

My take on it (ok it's what I have been told over the years) tobacco as it is today isn't the same as it was 100-200 years ago, what we have has been cross-breed with other strains (and possiblely other plants as well) and get all of the formentioned chemical baths to enhance flavor, rate of burn, addictiveness, and even the smell of the smoke. A lot (I won't say all) believe that if the tobacco has been tampered with beyond its natural state then it has lost its spiritual significance, this would rule out all largely produced tobacco (cigarettes, Top pouch, bugler...the list is endless) because all of these have recieved that treatment. Those same folks would also agree that other than growing your own plants and using them about the only other form acceptable would be American Spirit as they (supposedly) don't do anything to their tobacco in processing.

Oh the other end you have those that feel that tobacco is tobacco no matter what. So they'll break out the Marlboros after the Powwow and do what they need to. A lot of this comes right down to personal opinion and different teachings. But, I think it is safe to presume that everyone no matter what stance they take can agree, that if when you need it and don't have your preference; then any tobacco will work.

Ok so I set out to give my 2 cents and I think I donated 5...hehehehehe Hope this helps in your research.
                  We the unwilling, lead by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Comment

Using tobacco in sacred healing and prayer shows "devotion," and respect to The Great Spirit.

Addiction (of any kind) is "devotion" to the thing you are addicted to... it kind of contradicts the devotion to The Great Spirit.

BUT (there's the but word), during a ceremony most people usually have a different "mindset," so the respect is probably there during that particular ceremony...which goes back to where your heart is, and why you are using the tobacco in the first place.
                    tchrcoun.blogspot.com

No one "makes us" feel anything, we choose to feel, act, and react the way we do. ~~Nino's Philosophy

I am not the Creator and therefore cannot "save" anyone. The path one walks is between the individual and the creator; not to be judged by me. ~TurtleWoman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X