Large Pow Wow drum??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Pow Wow drum??

I am recently in posession of a double-sided 18"x22" drum. It appears to be made from one log, light color pine or maple?? I am told its a native american pow wow drum. I am wondering if there is anyone who can tell me more about it, how to tell what the skin is, and what are some venues/resources for getting it appraised and/or sold. Thanks for any help.

SunShine, drums could be made by anyone. Your drum SOUNDS like it was made in an NDN style, but unless you have documentation from it's owner, you can't say for certain WHO made it.

The tops are usually made of rawhide. At least, that is what OUR tribe's drum head is made of.

Our drum is treated carefully and respectfully. It was given to us, and we would never sell it. It is the voice of our people.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

I would suggest that you try to find a community or Native American organization that is close to you so that you may gift it to them. Drums should never be sold and there is also the fact that you don't know the ceremonies that must be conducted for that drum. It is a sacred object and needs to be treated as such. Please respect the drum and do the right thing.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• hobbs49
        Caring for Drum Heads
        by hobbs49
        This may seem like an offbeat question, but here goes. I was noticing the other day while sitting in with some guys singing that the drum head had a couple of areas where the hide (buffalo I think) was looking like it had some spidery surface cracks. When I ran my hand over it, I could feel some of...
        02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
      • SouthernDrumSinger
        Drum Making
        by SouthernDrumSinger
        If you look at a lot of the southern drums, they have some type of colorful strip around the rim of the drum. Can you tell me what this is and what its purpose is...I would imagine it is to add additional protection to the hide from wear and tear from the drum sticks...but does anybody know what it...
        12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
      • WhoMe
        Is the drum sacred?
        by WhoMe
        I often hear powwow singers and announcers say the drum is sacred.

What makes it sacred?

"Powwow drums" as we know them are a little over a 100 years old. (have you ever seen a picture of a tribe moving camp with a big ole' drum loaded on the back of the travois)?:p...
        07-11-2003, 03:58 PM
      • scottlollar
        Giving to the Drum?
        by scottlollar
        My family and I were told at our first powwow so many years ago that it is customary to bring a gift for the drum to a powwow. Now, I know that there are gifts given to the drum, and often they get paid as well as donations from the visitors. But, I always bring a box of bottled water or some other...
        09-20-2002, 03:58 PM
      • Black Eagle
        Drum Etiquette
        by Black Eagle
        I've heard several different opinios on drums and money. Where I am from, if you liked a song, you threw money on the drum. I've been told by others that putting money on the drum can be interpreted negatively. Whats the general concensus on this?
        03-06-2002, 09:18 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X