• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skabewis
    started a topic Being a Young Person in Ceremonies

Being a Young Person in Ceremonies

Produced by Arden Williams
    Reserve, Wisconsin (NFIC) 7-08

Andrea Low of the St.Croix Band of Ojibwe is one of the head Ogichida'kwewag (female leaders) of Big Drum in her area. Big Drum is a social ceremony, and people visit from different reservations.

Andrea's father is one of the keepers of the Big Drum, who she helps run the ceremony, and help with the giveaways, they have Big Drum four times a year , one for each season.

Andrea follows protocol by serving food to the people that come to visit, and handing out the giveaway gifts. The women tell the men what to do, like chopping wood for the fire and other laborers work, while the women cook and serve the guests.

Their ceremonial drum was given to them by the Sioux. There are three drums in their community, a Warrior drum, Big Drum, and Ladies drum, each of them have different uses, and meanings. The Warrior Drum represents the warriors, the Ladies Drum is just for the women and the big drum is for everyone two of them the men own and the women own one. all of the drums have certain songs and dances.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• SouthernDrumSinger
    Best Drum Frame
    by SouthernDrumSinger
    Powwow People,

For those of you who have made powwow drums, what is the best (and most economical and sturdy) way to make the frame?

Thanks

SDS
    11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
  • AmigoKumeyaay
    MANATAKA: Women On Drum?
    by AmigoKumeyaay
    WOMEN CANNOT TOUCH MY DRUM!!

"WOMEN CANNOT TOUCH MY DRUM!!"

While preparing for the upcoming 2011 Manataka Powwow, a question arose when one drummer objected to the fact that Manataka has a drum circle where women play the drum.

"I will
    04-05-2016, 05:33 PM
    Drum Hopping
    by Guest
    What is everyone's opinion of drum hoppers? I don't like it when they just set in without asking or join in right in the middle of a song. I won't tolerate this with my new drum group. If someone wants to sing with us, I expect them to ask no matter who they are. Don't just come in the middle of...
    04-25-2000, 03:34 PM
  • TacO5000
    Drums
    by TacO5000
    What kind of tone of a drum do you like to sing with? what size, and what kind of stands do you perfer? Who makes keen drum? what kind of hides do you like?

I was gonna make a which good looking singer has the biggest gutt thread but we have too many of them so here one...
    09-24-2005, 09:45 AM
  • WhoMe
    Drums across the World
    by WhoMe
    As Natives, we pay great respect to the drum. In my tribe, I was taught to respect the drum, "take care of it and it will take care of you." Following this advice, the drum has taken me to many different lands in North America and throughout the world.

While travelling I noticed...
    03-12-2010, 03:34 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X