X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine in the Mountains by D.J. Vanas

By D.J. Vanas © 2008
    News From Indian Country

“Stop trying to poke your sister in the eye,” I scolded my nearly-three-year-old, Bella. She was picking on her big sister, Gabi, who is seven. I figured I’d intervene since Gabi looked like she was contemplating a Tae Kwon Do move on her baby sister – she’s a brown belt – and I was nervous.

My wife was gesturing wildly, talking on her cell phone to her mom as the “Kidz Bop” CD was loudly belting out kid’s voices singing cover tunes to ‘80s hits which is its own special brand of torture. My stomach was now rolling from shotgunning my coffee and a yogurt (bad combo) so we could get out on the road to our destination. I wondered, almost out loud, “Why are we doing this again?”
    Last edited by Skabewis; 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Skabewis
    DJ. Vanas: The Fear Factor
    by Skabewis
    By D.J. Vanas © 2009
    News From Indian Country

I was flying home after a visit with the wonderful people of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribe in Kansas and settled into my seat next to the window. Boarding last, and very reluctantly, was a young woman who meekly climbed into the...
    09-28-2009, 03:22 PM
  • CactusButt
    In honor of Mary Ada Franks
    by CactusButt
    I would just like to pay my respects to my paternal grandmother Mary Ada Franks. From what I know this lady lived a hard life. At a young age she married a white man, my grandfather. They had a boy, my father. They lived for 2 years in peace, until they moved to be with my grandfathers family. ...
    03-09-2004, 10:41 PM
  • Skabewis
    Taking the burden off family and loved ones
    by Skabewis
    By Dr. Arne Vainio
    News From Indian Country

I was afraid of Alvina. She first came to see me when I was in my 3rd year of residency in Seattle. She had moved to Seattle from her home reservation and was living with her daughter. Chronic alcoholism had taken its toll on her. She...
    10-18-2008, 11:44 AM
  • DeusExMachina
    Im Memoriam: Ms. J. P. Jordan
    by DeusExMachina
    My Great Grandmother passed away yesterday at 9:15 PM. my uncle and I were with her, I was just holding her hand and talking about some silly stuff, not really anything important, just telling her how much I love her cooking and especially her fried chicken. There I was just prattling on and she just...
    09-09-2003, 04:45 AM
  • Awanita
    The Storie of Basacki
    by Awanita
    Honestly I can't not find the origin of this story. All I can say it is one that my mother and grandmother shared with my brother and I as kids. I do know that my mother said that her grandmother used to tell this story to her when she was a child. My mother passed in 1984 at age 39, my grandmother...
    10-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X