Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restraining Order Filed - Shoshone grandmothers plan Resistance Day at proposed mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restraining Order Filed - Shoshone grandmothers plan Resistance Day at proposed mine

Crescent Valley, Newe Sogobi (Nevada) 11-08

As the holidays approach and the world watches President-elect Obama and the bailouts; back in Nevada, home state of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, it's business as usual. Late yesterday, attorneys for several Western Shoshone tribes and non-profit indigenous and environmental organizations filed a request in the federal District Court in Reno, NV seeking a restraining order against the construction of one of the country's largest open pit gold mines on the flank of spiritual Mt. Tenabo.

The mine company has already begun demolition of the pinyon forest with heavy machinery on the site ripping out trees at a reported rate of 30 acres per day. As they await a Court hearing and feeling compelled to take immediate action, tomorrow, a group of Shoshone grandmothers will travel to the proposed mine site to conduct a day of Resistance to the destruction of the area and the approval of the mine by the United States.

Mt. Tenabo is a well-known home to local Shoshone creation stories, spirit life, medicinal, food and ceremonial plants and rocks and continues to be used to this day by Shoshone for spiritual ceremonies and cultural practices. Over the years, tens of thousands of individuals and organizations from across the United States and around the world have joined with the Shoshone and voiced their opposition to this mine -in fact, the mine is being referred to as the "most opposed mine in the world".

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X