X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulalip Tribes’ Elder Court gives youths a second

By Krisa Kapralos
    Tulalip, Washington (AP)

The young man wore loose jeans slung low on his hips. The hems were worn and frayed, and wet from being trampled on rain-soaked sidewalks. A large black sweatshirt flopped over his shoulders and arms.

It was 7:30 a.m., and he needed help.

I lived near this rez in Washington State
    It is good to hear that somebody is trying to help these kids instead of just allowing the "system" to take care of them

To use elders to teach the youth
    Dang what a concept!!!!
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

I was involved in a project where the Crown and Judiciary were also doing a process similar to this in the very early 1990's. It was a very good project that failed in the end but not because of the work completed. It failed because the people in charge of looking after the clients would not write reports to discuss the follow through or completion of the Elders expectations. This is a results and quanitifiable oriented field. If you are not able to demonstrate that then it is likely these types of initiatives will be doomed. People want to see a trail of the work completed.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• superndngyrl
        Rally Up Support Against Justice System In Okla
        by superndngyrl
        My name is Roy Spang. Most of our young people know me as Sam. I am 25 years old. I am an enrolled member of the Northern Cheyenne Tribe in Montana, but was raised in Oklahoma. I grew up as a Sac and Fox, and am a member of the Fox Warrior Clan. I am also Kickapoo and Shawnee.

I am writing...
        02-26-2004, 09:32 AM
      • Jibbyâ„¢
        Eff Outksat!! Check This Out!!
        by Jibbyâ„¢
        I can only hope that this issue gets as much attention...

Sac and Foxes are like cockroaches, when you turn on the lights they all scatter
        Beck's Attorney, David Ball-Tipton, in a local newspaper referring to the Sac and Fox People

To All My Relations,
        02-25-2004, 08:48 PM
      • Kituhwa
        The Cherokee Syllabary
        by Kituhwa
        I am not certain how many of you have read the book, but I received a copy of

"Tell Them They Lie"

published by Traveller Bird, a purported direct descendent of Sequoyah who wrote his work in 1971 that was published by, I believe, Western Lore Publishers. According...
        12-28-2003, 09:33 AM
      • Blackbear
        DNA links 10,000-year-old man to tribal descendants
        by Blackbear
        This Message Is Reprinted Under The Fair Use
        Doctrine Of International Copyright Law:
        _http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html_
        (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html)
        08-27-2005, 06:51 PM
      • Itzhecatl
        Native Fashion
        by Itzhecatl
        Ancient Interpreters: Virgil Ortiz

Posted: 08/06/2012 12:59 pm

Like many people, I often think of what I would do or ask if I was in the presence of a great historic person. I remember when I had the privilege of spending time with the late Lakota...
        10-11-2012, 07:33 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X