Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA tracks descendants of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA tracks descendants of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska

By George Bryson
    Anchorage, Alaska (AP)

An ancient mariner who lived and died 10,000 years ago on an island west of Ketchikan probably doesn’t have any close relatives left in Alaska.

But some of them migrated south and their descendants can be found today in coastal Native American populations in California, Mexico, Ecuador, Chile and Argentina.

That’s some of what scientists learned this summer by examining the DNA of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska.

That's an interesting article. But with the research that I've done on the subject and doctors that I've talked to. I don't see how they could expect to find an exact MtDNA match after all those years. Since the DNA mutates over generations, no set amt really, there wouldn't be an exact match based on that. But it's showing something and that's good. Being that they are going through the female line if there were any sons, then their descendants would not show a match at all and that adds to it too.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Smokin' Ace
      Suicide claims student in land of the midnight sun
      by Smokin' Ace
      Suicide claims student in land of the midnight sun © Indian Country Today December 08, 2004. All Rights Reserved Posted: December 08, 2004 by: Jean Johnson / Indian Country Today

PORTLAND, Ore. - Suicide claimed another young soul in October when a young Alaska Native man studying...
      12-14-2004, 04:57 PM
    • Skabewis
      Alaska Native community reclaims history of Alutiiq masks
      by Skabewis
      By Amy Fletcher
      Juneau, Alaska (AP)

For more than a hundred years, over 70 Alutiiq ceremonial masks were housed in a museum in France, honored as art yet completely cut off from their original cultural context.

Thousands of miles away in Kodiak lived the only people...
      11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
    • Skabewis
      Alaska Native speaks out on Palin, Oil, and Alaska
      by Skabewis
      By Evon Peter

My name is Evon Peter; I am a former Chief of the Neetsaii Gwich'in tribe from Arctic Village, Alaska and the current Executive Director of Native Movement. My organization provides culturally based leadership development through offices in Alaska and Arizona. My wife, who...
      09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
    • Skabewis
      Alaskan theater, with elders’ help, laughs at itself
      by Skabewis
      By Tamar Ben-Yosef
      Anchorage, Alaska (AP) 9-08

If anyone ever doubted Alaska Natives’ sense of humor, they need only check out the latest theater production at the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

There are very few sacred cows in director Ed Bourgeois’ “Raven’s...
      09-23-2008, 10:08 PM
    • Blackbear
      IWC and Alaska subsistence
      by Blackbear
      This Message Is Reprinted Under The FAIR USE
      Doctrine Of International Copyright Law:
      _http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html_
      (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html)
      05-30-2007, 01:48 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X