Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA tracks descendants of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA tracks descendants of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska

By George Bryson
    Anchorage, Alaska (AP)

An ancient mariner who lived and died 10,000 years ago on an island west of Ketchikan probably doesn’t have any close relatives left in Alaska.

But some of them migrated south and their descendants can be found today in coastal Native American populations in California, Mexico, Ecuador, Chile and Argentina.

That’s some of what scientists learned this summer by examining the DNA of Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian Indians in Southeast Alaska.

That's an interesting article. But with the research that I've done on the subject and doctors that I've talked to. I don't see how they could expect to find an exact MtDNA match after all those years. Since the DNA mutates over generations, no set amt really, there wouldn't be an exact match based on that. But it's showing something and that's good. Being that they are going through the female line if there were any sons, then their descendants would not show a match at all and that adds to it too.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X