X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navajos to decide on Tribal Council reduction

By Felicia Fonseca
    Flagstaff, Arizona (AP)

Navajo voters will have a chance to decide whether to reduce the size of the Tribal Council and give the president line-item veto ability, a hearing officer ruled June 25.

Less than a handful of ballot initiatives have been attempted on the vast reservation. The latest, led by Navajo President Joe Shirley Jr., will be the first to go before voters.

Problematic Absentee Ballots.....

Boozhoo,
    I know that many people complain of Off reservation voting... I have to say that this has brought a lot of unfairness to elections.This creates eyebrow raising as to how these people off reservation that do not have to live with the problems that exsist on the reservation but get to vote. I have my own thoughts on this issue and if it is a big issue most times it never gets resolved.

Comment

I'm ready.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Skabewis
        Navajo voters to decide on election of judges
        by Skabewis
        By Felicia Fonseca
        Flagstaff, Arizona (AP)

Navajo voters will have an additional box to check at the polls on Election Day.

Tribal lawmakers approved a bill during July that would ask voters whether they want to change judges from being appointed to being elected....
        07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
      • Skabewis
        Navajo president pushes reduction of tribal lawmakers
        by Skabewis
        By Felicia Fonseca
        Window Rock, Arizona (AP)

Navajo President Joe Shirley Jr. is moving forward with a plan to reform tribal government, and first on his wish list is reducing the Tribal Council from 88 delegates to 24.

Shirley’s staff filed paperwork April 29...
        05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
      • Skabewis
        Navajo Council fails to override tobacco ban veto
        by Skabewis
        by Felicia Fonseca
        Flagstaff, Arizona (AP) 9-08

Smoking and chewing tobacco in public places on the Navajo Nation remains legal after tribal lawmakers failed to override a veto of a bill that would have banned it.

The veto override needed 59 yes votes to pass, but...
        09-23-2008, 11:23 PM
      • Skabewis
        Navajo Tribal Council to stay at 24 members
        by Skabewis
        Flagstaff, Arizona (AP)

Navajo lawmakers voted down a measure last week that would have increased the Tribal Council from 24 members to 88.

Navajos voted a year ago to reduce the council to 24 members as part of a ballot initiative. The smaller council will be seated in...
        12-29-2010, 04:14 PM
      • Skabewis
        Navajos to decide on first-ever ballot initiatives
        by Skabewis
        By Felicia Fonseca
        Flagstaff, Arizona (AP)

Navajo voters have never had much of a say in how their modern government was shaped.

But that could soon change, after a tribal judge cleared the way for a special election on a restructuring that could change the balance...
        07-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X