No announcement yet.

The double standard of government-run health care: the Indian Health Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The double standard of government-run health care: the Indian Health Service

By Mark Trahant
    Special to News From Indian Country

There seems to be political consensus that our health care system won’t end up like those in Canada or England. OK, but what about the American version of a single-payer, government-run health care agency?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs sent doctors to inoculate American Indians near military forts with smallpox vaccine in 1834. Perhaps that effort was more self-interest than preventative medicine, but by 1955 the newly created U.S. Indian Health Service became a full-fledged national, government-run health care network.

Originally posted by Skabewis View Post
    By Mark Trahant
    Special to News From Indian Country

There seems to be political consensus that our health care system won’t end up like those in Canada or England. OK, but what about the American version of a single-payer, government-run health care agency?

The Bureau of Indian Affairs sent doctors to inoculate American Indians near military forts with smallpox vaccine in 1834. Perhaps that effort was more self-interest than preventative medicine, but by 1955 the newly created U.S. Indian Health Service became a full-fledged national, government-run health care network.

What an excellant article and brings up a very good point...
    If the Government cant get the IHS to run right what makes them think they can reform Health Care for the rest of the Population????

As someone that was born in an Indian Hospital I pray daily that I will never die in one...
    My personal mark of success is never have to go back to one!`
    ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
    Till I Die!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X