Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally, recipes cannot be copyrighted, but cookbooks can. Here is a quote from the U.S. Copyright Office.

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

Protection under the copyright law (title 17 of the United States Code, section 102) extends only to “original works of authorship” that are fixed in a tangible form (a copy). “Original” means merely that the author produced the work by his own intellectual effort, as distinguished from copying an existing work. Copyright protection may extend to a description, explanation, or illustration, assuming that the requirements of the copyright law are met."
    Last edited by RDNKJ; 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

A great website where I love to collect recipes is TopSecretRecipes.com. You have to agree to not copy and distribute his recipes that he clones himself from big name restaurants and products.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

hmmm..

I'd like to find a cookbook like this... anything come of this lately?

Comment

Haven't heard anything lately. I'd be willing to start the project in exchange for ...let's say... 20 powwows.com T-shirts.

I think we need lots of pics and anecdotes from the submitters.
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Great idea

We need more recipes as well as pics.
            Photos make books so much more interesting.
            2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

Yep, start submitting your recipes - with pics, anecdotes, whatever!!
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

cookbook

A cookbook would be a great idea. I know I'd buy one! THANKS!

Comment

Cookbook

COOKBOOK SOUNDS LIKE A COOL IDEA...I'LL BE BUYING ONE!!!!

Comment

great idea

let me know when they come out
                    2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

Wish I had a little more time to devote to this project.
                      ...it is what it is...

Comment

[COLOR="Purple"]I'd buy one of your cookbooks in a second and then maybe some friends would like to buy them to once I'd show them the cookbook. Is there anywhere where I can buy one at? I've always wanted to collect different cookbooks, i have a lot of other kinds of cookbooks but not one that shows me how to make indian food. I'd love it. A very cool idea.

Comment

Hmmm....we'll have to get more "Indian" recipes.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

How much would the submitters be paid for their recipes?
                            Cariblanguage.org

Comment

If the person putting this cookbook together ain't even getting paid, I don't think the submitters are getting paid anything.

I think it's a good way to get a page with your pic (or your family or area), any info you want to share, and the page is dedicated to YOU, anonomously, by username, or your real life name.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

In that case you can just collate them and make it into an ebook that can be downloaded for free! Less work, easily distributable and you don't have to worry about meeting minimum page requirements.
                                Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.