• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwashee
    Ho-tem-ma-ha!!
    • Sep 2006

need corn soup recipes

Hello my fine ndn ladies with all those goot corn soup recipes hidden away!!!! and if some of you guys have a good one, then dont be bashful to pass it along. Its hard to find some here in Wichita ks. and we'd still have to locate the dry corn, but the recipe will do for now. So please share the wealth!!!!
    .sigpichttp://www.mytribalspace.com/tribal/jwashee
  • wyo_rose
    Ready to dance
    • Jun 2002

I've never made it, but I'm sure someone here knows a good recipe
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Josiah
      Powwow Dude
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by jwashee View Post
      Hello my fine ndn ladies with all those goot corn soup recipes hidden away!!!! and if some of you guys have a good one, then dont be bashful to pass it along. Its hard to find some here in Wichita ks. and we'd still have to locate the dry corn, but the recipe will do for now. So please share the wealth!!!!
      Dang had some last Sunday night with Fry Bread at our good friend's house...
      I will have to email them for the recipe
      corn and bits of pork in it
      dang goot
      They also had kidneys with gravy but I stuck with the corn soup
      LOL
      Last edited by Josiah; 05-01-2008, 11:06 PM.
      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
      Till I Die!

Comment

• luvstraightdancrs
        Senior Dancer
        • Mar 2002

No pork in our corn soup....that's why we call it BEEF AND CORN...............no special trick to it either, just what it says beef and corn (COPES). Shame on you Joshia, being the cook that you are. LOL!

You should be able to ask your grocer to order the Copes...about $2.70 a box here in Tecumseh.

We have some tricks when we fix ours, family secrets!

Comment

• Josiah
          Powwow Dude
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by luvstraightdancrs View Post
          No pork in our corn soup....that's why we call it BEEF AND CORN...............no special trick to it either, just what it says beef and corn (COPES). Shame on you Joshia, being the cook that you are. LOL!

You should be able to ask your grocer to order the Copes...about $2.70 a box here in Tecumseh.

We have some tricks when we fix ours, family secrets!
          Dang did I say Pork???
          LOL
          I meant beef!!!
          Thought Beef and
          wrote pork
          hahahahahahahaha
          Well there you are
          ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
          Till I Die!

Comment

• NancyJo
            Cloth Dancer
            • Sep 2000

Me and a friend just take a big can of corn, a big package of hamburger meat (or stew meat if we can afford it), add in some beef broth, onions, garlic, parsley, sometimes some grated carrots) salt and pepper and cook it up in a big ol' crock pot. Fed it to many a dancers at pow wows...........no complaints yet!!
            I'm interested to hear everyone elses recipe.

Comment

• Josiah
              Powwow Dude
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by NancyJo View Post
              Me and a friend just take a big can of corn, a big package of hamburger meat (or stew meat if we can afford it), add in some beef broth, onions, garlic, parsley, sometimes some grated carrots) salt and pepper and cook it up in a big ol' crock pot. Fed it to many a dancers at pow wows...........no complaints yet!!
              I'm interested to hear everyone elses recipe.
              I had many a corn soup around here but by far the best tasting is Copes
              its dried corn and then soaked
              just chunks of beef and secret spices
              LOL
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

• NancyJo
                Cloth Dancer
                • Sep 2000

Yup..........it's the best with the dried corn.....no doubt!!!

Sure need to make a run to OK to get some more dried corn pretty SOON!!!! I've heard you can buy it off the internet, but I haven't looked yet.

We just use those big industrial sized cans in a pinch.......still okay........but not as good.

When I can during the summer we use fresh field corn.............now that's really good eating!!!
                My friend will cook up a bunch of fry bread or fried cornbread pattys to go with it sometimes.

Making me hungry right now!!!!

Comment

• wyo_rose
                  Ready to dance
                  • Jun 2002

They sell Cope's at our local grocery. I'll have to try it with some beef (or pork if Josiah is coming over to eat).

They also sell dried Indian corn. Can you use that in soup the same way?
                  ...it is what it is...

Comment

• SheTurtle
                    Junior Dancer
                    • Sep 2004

I use dried hominy corn in posole. I soak it overnight and put it in the pressure cooker for about 20 minutes, with a natural steam release. I will then assemble all the other ingredients for posole stew, such as sauteed onions, tomatillos, green chiles, cumin, sage and some other spices and put it in the crockpot. I don't eat pork, but a couple of smoked turkey legs will provide the meat and that nice flavor.

I have never seen, much less tasted Copes. From what I can see on websites, it is a much different product than dried hominy corn. It is more like chicos, which I helped my grandmother make when I was a kid. Yummmmm!

Comment

• rezgranny
                      Liven Large on the Rez
                      • Aug 2004

Corn Soup Recipe

In Ontario there are a couple of ways to make corn soup, depending on which Rez you call home.
                      Dried corn is washed in wood ashe, some people also use lye, and the hulls are removed. This makes the corn plump, and ready for the pot. But before you do this you cook a bag of navy beans or some use dry red kidney beans with diced salt pork bellies. When the beans are cooked you add in the corn. Dadaaa, corn soup. Some people who use the navy beans will add a condensed can of milk. Again depends on the family and the Rez.
                      Last edited by rezgranny; 05-15-2008, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• fncyshwldncr4life
                        The Beadin Fool
                        • Nov 2003

I use PORK! LOL... maybe im weird, but I prefer it over beef. I know alot of People who cook feasts and use pork shoulder roast. Its way more affordable than good ole cow. Especially when yer feeding alot of people. And of course you gotta have mr. Copes Corn...in the green box with the goofy little man on it..LOL. Last time I found it I was paying like $4 a box, now I can't even find it here anymore.. Im gonna have to start heading over to Osage land to get it. Anywhooo my recipe..for anyone who cares to hear it..ayy...

Roast (beef or pork)
                        box of corn
                        Water..LOL
                        Heat...

Thats about it.. cook the meat first..you shoudn't have to dice it..after it gets tender, it will fall apart on its' own..
                        Add your corn like an hour before serving... and remember, one box goes a longggggg ways. ;)

Usually you let your guest's salt n' pepper their bowls to their taste's.

Last I knew, you could get the corn from crazy crow...but with the way corn products are getting these days..It's probably gonna get harder to find mr. cope...

Comment

• OLChemist
                          Pow Wow Committee
                          • May 2002

$27.50 for a 12 pack of 7.5 oz boxes, plus shipping.

Comment

• Grover_Alaska
                            Tsalagi_Grover
                            • Dec 2007

mmmm....cornnnnnn.....

Ok, for Posole I use pork- no matter what. For corn soup- beef- always! For moosehead soup- moosehead, corn, veges, and pasta! MMMMM....corn....I used to eat the corn right out the can when I was little and my dad took me fishing- he would get soooo mad (kinda- how do dads get sooo mad at their little girls, the get over it). This guy at my drum- his nickname is cornmonkey- cool enit? I am jealous!
                            Following the path of least resistance is what makes men AND rivers crooked.

~Native Country- Where the American Dream Began!

Comment

• wolf_dancer34
                              Pow Wow Visitor
                              • Nov 2016

corn soup

I know this is an old thread but still have a question? In making this soup is the corn used dried field corn or dried sweet corn? A bit confused or is it dehydrated corn you can purchase at the store?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.