Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkin frybread????

Hey all,
    My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!
    Walk softly, leave nothing but footprints....

Pumpkin frybread, let me know when it done I ll be there

Originally posted by Kamama View Post
    Hey all,
    My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!

Good stuff!!! just add a small can of that pumpkin pie stuff to your dough and some sugar I think!! I'm a good eater not a cook but that's what I've seen done.

Comment

You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
      Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.

Comment

Originally posted by legalstraight View Post
        You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
        Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.
        Frybread - Ive never even attempted to make bannock, wouldnt know where to start. I've eaten it a couple times, but, thats about it. I made an attempt at making the pumpkin fry bread a while back, and it wasnt BAD - but, it wasnt what I was hopeing for either. I used the can pumkin mix, and, it smelled good, tasted o.k., but, it was a little on the dry side. I'll have to make another attempt at it sometime soon.
        The kind Im use to having, the batter looked almost like a cookie dough constistency, if not a little wetter. I dunno. Not sure if and when I'll get to see the yummy nummy orange pumkin frybread maker from Maryland again. Dang, now I gotta craving. Oh well, going out for Chinese food soon....meow.

Comment

awesomeist (is that a word?)
          Heck yes thats a word i use it all the time!!!!

Thanks for this post! I started drooling right away.
          Sounds Sooooooooo Good!

Comment

* 1 can pumpkin puree or cooked, fresh pumpkin
            * 4 cups All purpose flour
            * 4 teaspoons Baking powder
            * 1 teaspoon Baking soda
            * 1/2 cup Sugar
            * 1 cup Water
            * 1 tablespoon Sugar

Cook, peel, and mash the pumpkin, if using fresh pumpkin, or use a can of solid pack pumpkin. Add the ½ cup of sugar, mix thoroughly.

Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Gradually add pumpkin, sugar and water to make a soft dough.

When it just holds together, knead several minutes. Divide dough into 4 - 6 equal parts. Knead each portion again several minutes or until it becomes a soft, smooth ball. Roll out each portion 1¼ inch thick. Another method is to pinch off small pieces of dough and form into individual cakes 2 - 3 inch across.

In a large iron skillet, fry in very hot vegetable oil (about 1inch in depth) until brown on one side. Flip over and brown other side. The bread will puff up and get crisp and chewy. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.

your wish has been answered lol enjoy

Comment

great now I gotta go make some......try putting just 1 tbl of pumpkin pie spice...... omg

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to pick up the stuff I dont have when we go to the store next time.
                One question - you mention 1/2 cup sugar and then 1 tablespoon sugar - would one of those be an oopsy? Just wanna make sure I get it all down right. Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

The one spoon is for sprinkleing over afterwards

Comment

oh wow

im definatly gonna have to try this!!!!!!
                    187TatankaOyate..KingBird..DakotahHotaine..
                    ..MidniteExpress'..HighLife..

..BuffaloHorse
                    ..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
                    BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
                    ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
                    LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
                    StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
                    Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
                    ..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
                    CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
                    NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
                    RIP lil brother

Comment

Thanks a million. I finally got it! I had to add a little more flour (used 1/2 self rising) and subtracted down to about 1/4 cup water, and it turned out great. Or atleast I thought so. Ill find out later if its a hit or not when other people eat it. Now I get to try my hand at baked fish to go with it. Thanks again. You're a life saver. :)

Comment

Hey all,
                        Try pumpkin flour. Works great!! (you can get it at health food stores)...good luck!!

Comment

in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top
                          "I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR

Comment

Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
                            in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top
                            MMMM...that sounds good too!!!!

Comment

Mmmm...now I'm hungry!
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.