Acorn Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acorn Bread

Okay I know how to leech the acorns out, re-dry them, and grind them, but my grandma never taught me her recipe, my auntie won't part with hers (says it makes sure I come home every so often) And my wife has no clue how to make it,
    can someone take pity on a boy that's been relocated and give me a recipe? I am massively craving it.

Where I live we mostly have pin oaks and the nuts they bear are -really- tiny and a whole lot of work for not very much return. I found that Korean supermarkets carry acorn flour - so at least I can make some of the wonderful food I had as a kid.

Dunno what kind of bread you're used to but here is the recipe I use:

1 cup acorn meal
    1 cup flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    2-4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Generously grease a loaf pan (you can also use a 9" by 9" pan, deep dish pie pan or any other kind of similarly sized baking pan, just adjust your cooking time accordingly).

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl - mix the egg, milk, and oil thoroughly.
    Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and stir it with a fork just enough to moisten dry ingredients. The batter will be a bit lumpy (kind of like making cornbread or pancakes - stir too much and the bread will be tough).

Cook for about 30 minutes or until a knife stick in the center comes out clean.

You can add a handful of your favorite fresh or dried fruit, substitute 1/2 the milk with mashed bananas, use half fruit juice and half milk.... all are good.

Basically you can substitute acorn flour for *up to* half of the regular flour in any baked goods recipe. If you swap out more than half of the regular flour - the result will be a dense crumbly mess because acorn flour is very high in protein (but low in the thing that holds baked goods together - namely gluten).

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X