New Mexican Chile Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mexican Chile Sauce

Nothing will beat the excellent and varied New Mexican cuisine we were privileged to sample throughout the state last week.

We brought back fresh green chiles, roasted chilies and a variety of dried...along with garlic, hominy, pinon nuts, chipotle pecans, and mangos, papaya, and baby bananas from Texas.

Here's a green chile sauce recipe from fiery-foods.com that should be great over huevos rancheros or ANYTHING:

This versatile sauce is basic to New Mexican cuisine. It is best with freshly roasted and peeled chile but can be made with canned, frozen or even dried green chile. Finely diced pork can be added but cook the sauce for an additional half hour. Use this sauce over enchiladas, burritos, or tacos. It will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator and freezes well.

*1 small onion, finely chopped
    *1 clove garlic, minced
    *2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    *1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    *2 to 3 cups homemade chicken stock
    *1 cup chopped green New Mexico chile, roasted, peeled, stems removed
    *1 small tomato, peeled and chopped

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Stir in the flour and blend well. Simmer for a couple of minutes to "cook" the flour. Slowly add the broth and stir until smooth.

Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes.

Yield: 2 to 3 cups

Heat Scale: Medium
    ...it is what it is...

Here we go again.

Every time you put a rec. on here, I have to go try to make it. This does sound good on huevos rancheros, and I love fried eggs.

Comment

i luv the "or annythang!" part haha and thats a very nice shopping list ya got here wyo.

green chili is so versatile, with some stew u can put alittle salt on the table take a bite of the chili, tap the chili on top of the salt and continue. its great for me that way. fresh tortilllas go great at the same time.

fresh roasted green chili off the grill makes my mouth water. to get the skin off the chili wrap it in a wet napkin while hot. tto add to this, add roasted meat on hot bread... aggh! and alittle coffee. lol
      thanks dad for showing me the way, teaching me the language, and not leaving my mother...*L*

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*

Comment

We've been having whole roasted green chilies on burgers, steak and I think I'll grill a hot dog and insert it in a chile and eat it like that.

The fresh green chilies got grilled on our BBQ, but it's just not the same. I put them all in a green chili stew and YUMMERS!! I can't quite get it like back in NM, but it's close.

Our bellies got used to the hot stuff (kinda) and we have a lot of chilies left.

BUT our PINONS are GONE!!! that's sad (next time no sharing )
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X