Cinco de Mayo recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinco de Mayo recipes

Calling all cooks! Please post your favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes. Our evening class is having a carry-in and I'm thinking of trying a flan or another dessert.
    ...it is what it is...

Beans over fire....

Comment

I like sopapillas. I make my own version of sopapillas on a whole wheat tortilla, spread it with margarine, sprinkle it with Splenda and cinnamon, then toast it until the tortilla is crunchy and the Splenda and cinnamon are melted into the margarine. You can use butter and real sugar or honey if you are not on a diet. It's not the puffy kind, but it is still good and really simple to make.

Comment

Title: Chile Verde/Basic Green Chili Sauce
        Yield: 1 Serving

Ingredients

2 tb oil
        1/2 sm onion; chopped
        1 lg garlic clove; chopped
        2 tb flour
        1/4 ts ground cumin
        1/4 ts black pepper
        1 1/2 c chicken broth
        1 c Anaheim or poblano chilies,
        -roasted; peeled
        OR
        1 c canned green chilies; (8
        -ounces) chopped
        1/4 ts oregano
        1/2 ts salt
        2 ts jalapenos (optional);
        -chopped

Instructions

Heat the oil in a 1 or 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and
        garlic, cover and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to wilt the
        onions. Check halfway through to make sure they are not browning. Raise the
        heat to medium again, stir in the flour, cumin and black pepper, and cook
        stirring, for 2 minutes to cook the rawness out of the flour. The onions
        will tend to ball up into clumps, but that does not matter. When the
        onion-flour mixture just begins to color, remove pan from heat and
        gradually pour in the broth, stiring constantly to prevent lumps. Add all
        the remaining ingredients. Return pan to heat and bring to the boiling
        point, then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes stirring
        occasionally. The finished sauce should be thick enough to nap a spoon. The
        basic sauce is now ready to use or to store in the refrigerator. It keeps
        well for a week or so, but a skin will form on the cooled sauce, and when
        cold it will almost solidly congeal. All can be made right again by
        reheating the sauce as you need it. This chile verde is warming but not
        nearly so hot as almost every native New Mexican likes it. For a hotter
        sauce, add the optional chopped jalapenos at the same time as the mild
        chilies go in. The upper limit to how hot chile verde can be has yet to be
        determined, but I am nearly positive that no one is reputed to make their
        entirely with jalapenos.

Comment

Pork Carnitas

Boil a big hunk of pork shoulder for 2 hours.
          Break into 2-3 inch chunks. Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasoning (garlic powder, chili powder, steak seasoning).
          Lay out on a sheet pan and bake for 30 min at 425 until the edges are crispy.
          Chop into small pieces and enjoy in a taco, burrito, or what have you!!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Enchilada sauce:

4 pods dried California chili peppers
            1 can tomatoes
            2 cloves garlic
            1 cup broth
            additional water if too thick

Blend or use a food processor on the chili pods (remove stems and seeds - leave some seeds if you want some heat), garlic, and broth until orange-red and thick. Then add the tomatoes and blend a bit.

Heat it up and you have some WONDERFUL enchilada sauce. Sure beats even Old El Paso for flavor and price.
            ...it is what it is...

Comment

Green Chile and Cheese Flautas

* 16 small flour tortillas
              * 1/2 cup canned green chiles (or roasted, peeled and seeded green chiles coarsely chopped)
              * 1 cup jack cheese
              * 1 cup sweet corn, frozen and thawed or canned
              * 1/2 cup green chile sauce
              * 1 teaspoon sugar

Preparation:
              Mix chiles, cheese, chile sauce, corn and sugar in a medium bowl. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling down center of a tortilla and roll it up tightly. Secure with a toothpick and place seam side down on a plate. Roll up all of the flautas and fry 3 or 4 at a time in 350 degree hot oil until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Texas Chili

1 pound beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
                1 can tomatoes
                4 chili pods, garlic cloves, cumin or can of enchilada sauce or chili powder
                1/2 onion diced
                2 tablespoons oil

Brown the beef and onions in the oil. Add the canned tomatoes, breaking them apart.
                Add the can of enchilada sauce or 3 tablespoons chili powder.

If using chili pods, break off the stem (leave some seeds for heat), and blend with garlic cloves in a cup of hot water. Add to pan.

Add another cup of water as necessary and simmer for 2 hours.

Makes a wonderful sauce for chili dogs, smothered burritos, whatever!!
                ...it is what it is...

Comment

Pastel

Mmmmm.
                  Pastel de Tres Leches.
                  I've made this many times.
                  You're making me hungry

I want to the Cinco de Mayo this past weekend.
                  Mmm. Los tacos con cilantro, cebolla, y chile!
                  Anyway, guess you don't need the recipe any more.
                  But, hope you had fun.
                  2011-2012 Powwow.com Princess !

"We Walk in Two Worlds"

Comment

Dang it, Wyo-rose. You really like to torture me, LOL. Now, I'm going to have to stop at Montrey Market and pick up a pound of carnitas and some fresh corn tortillas.

Comment

Tequila, lemon and salt. That used to be my favorite Cinco De Mayo recipe!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                        Tequila, lemon and salt. That used to be my favorite Cinco De Mayo recipe!!!

Comment

Good, simple, elegant. I've had that recipe for a while!!

Anyway, I've gotten so many requests for my posole recipe, here it is.

2 pounds of pork, with bones OR cubed boneless pork and some pork neckbones
                          1 bag of frozen hominy (posole)
                          4 california chile pods
                          2 cloves garlic
                          1 tablespoon season salt
                          Optional: Any other spices you like to cook with - paprika, chili powder, onion powder, cumin - about a teaspoon each

Cook the pork for 2 hours in 2-3 quarts of water. Strain, reserving the broth and cook the hominy in the broth for 2 hours adding more water as needed.

Meanwhile separate the meat from the bones (shred the big pieces), and add the meat in with the hominy after the 2 hours and continue to simmer.

Remove a cup or two of broth from the pan and place in a blender or food processor. Remove the stems from the dried chilis. (Optional, heat in a dry skillet for a few minutes to get a roasted flavor) Remove all the seeds for a medium posole. Leave in more seeds for a hotter posole. Place in the blender with the peeled garlic and blend away. It's kinda amazing how the mixture will turn from orange to a nice terra cotta color.

Pour in with the posole and simmer for 1/2 hour more. Taste and add more salt as needed. Enjoy! Freezes well.

If you're having trouble with the ingredients, just use canned hominy (4 small cans, a couple medium cans, or a gallon size can) and chili powder - whole bottle. Won't be the same, but close.

This is a very good posole, but nowhere close to the posole served at the Pueblo Indian Center in Albuquerque which is the best I've ever seen.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Cream of Green Chile

We just had this as a soup and it would have made a great sauce to put over a smothered burrito or pork chop.

2 cups broth
                            1 cup cream
                            1 cup roasted green chilies
                            optional seasonings: garlic, oregano, cilantro, salt, pepper, onion

Boil the broth and chilies. Blend or process until smooth. Add the seasonings, seasoning on the strong side. Don't worry about the heat of the chiles, the cream will calm it down. Turn down the heat and add the cream. Taste and season to taste.

To use as a sauce, simmer for 30 minutes and let sit.
                            ...it is what it is...

Comment

running abit late here

i have no clue what it was called, but when i was younger at the local festival for cinco de mayo they had these corn on the cob that the basted with butter, coated with a thin layer of mayo, and then dusted with parika and garlic powder(in small amounts probably optional) it was nice, as a little kid i ate about 5 in one sitting
                              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X