Potato Substitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Substitutes

Potatoes aren't really a vegetable, they're a tuber, and full of starch - complex carbohydrate - which is just 3 or more sugar molecules linked together. And although they may digest a LITTLE slower than simple sugars, it's sugar in your system none the less.

Many people were brought up on meat and potatoes (and bread), and it's very hard to give them up.

Luckily there's many other veggies that make great substitutes.

FOR MASHED POTATOES:
    There's probably more veggies suitable for mashed "taters" than any other way to fix them. Just make sure you season them up with butter, cream, broth, salt and pepper, and anything else that tastes great in your spuds - cream cheese, sour cream, yogurt, garlic. You can also top them like LOADED MASHED TATERS, with shredded cheddar, bacon bits, green onion. Or bake them again for a Twice Baked tater dish. But a nice gravy of meat drippings with cream over the "faux" mashed taters is sure comfort food!

Frozen or fresh cooked cauliflower, small peeled and boiled rutabagas or turnips work well for this.

FOR POTATO SALAD:
    I find there's 2 kinds of potato salad - cubed potato salad and "smashed" potato salad. For the latter, if you chop a fresh head of cauliflower into approximately 1/2 inch pieces, then steam, boil, or microwave it with some water, then drain - it makes a wonderful substitute for potatoes in a "smashed" potato salad variety.

For a cubed potato salad, peel and cube several small turnips and boil in water until soft with some pickle juice. Then mix as usual with your mayo (or Miracle Whip), mustard, pickles and other ingredients you like in potato salad. Don't tell anybody what it is and they'll never know the difference.

FOR STEWS:
    Turnips of course! And they won't disintegrate like potatoes will.

FOR HASHED BROWNS:
    Daikon radish or jicama shredded up and fried with diced onion and green pepper make a good substitue for hashed brown potatoes. If the jicama is too crunchy for you, you can boil then drain the shredded jicama before frying.

FOR FRIED POTATOES:
    Peel red radished and dice or slice and saute in bacon grease. YUMMERS!!

and the hardest to duplicate FRENCH FRIES!!

Julienned daikon radish makes a passable although slightly limp french fry...but dip it in Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup and it goes well with a BBQ burger.

Battered and deep fried green beans are a good dipping item as well, even though you'd never mistake them for potatoes.

Jicamas are so crunchy, I'll have to try julienning and frying them up.
    Last edited by wyo_rose; 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM.
    ...it is what it is...

So my sinful other tried to make something along these lines the other night. She bought a yucca and tried to cook it. She butchered it up bad! :laughing;

Last night, I ate chicken and Jo-Jo's from Von's!

I should print these ideas Thanks wyo rose!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Next project: Jicama JO-JOs!!

Recipes for all the items posted above are easily found through Google.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Thanks! I actually like eating jicama plain. It's so refreshing especially on a hot day.

On the other thread someone mentiones salt water with potaotes and I did some research. Seems like if you boil potatoes in salt water then leave them in the fridge overnight, their GI number goes down to 23 which is low.

Joe's dad, I'm wondering if the yucca she bought is what we call cassava. It's a tuber also but I believe it has a lot of starch. Anyway I love to eat it mashed because I think it tastes like potatoes with the butter already in it. Mmmmm...
        Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Thanks! I actually like eating jicama plain. It's so refreshing especially on a hot day.

On the other thread someone mentiones salt water with potaotes and I did some research. Seems like if you boil potatoes in salt water then leave them in the fridge overnight, their GI number goes down to 23 which is low.

Joe's dad, I'm wondering if the yucca she bought is what we call cassava. It's a tuber also but I believe it has a lot of starch. Anyway I love to eat it mashed because I think it tastes like potatoes with the butter already in it. Mmmmm...
          Cariblanguage.org

Comment

I love Jicama you can find so many uses for it...

Potatoes... ohhh how I love them, fried, baked, boiled, mashed, scalloped.. you name it, I have never met a potatoe that I didn't like....

I have tried the cauliflower as a substitute for mashed and it's very tasty...

I also will mix rutabaga with potatoes about half and half to cut down on the amount of potatoes in the meal... it makes a outstanding mashed potatoes....
            Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

I have been eating more and more sweet potatoes
              Roasted on the grill slices into medallions
              damn good
              ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
              Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
                I love Jicama you can find so many uses for it...

Potatoes... ohhh how I love them, fried, baked, boiled, mashed, scalloped.. you name it, I have never met a potatoe that I didn't like....

I have tried the cauliflower as a substitute for mashed and it's very tasty...

I also will mix rutabaga with potatoes about half and half to cut down on the amount of potatoes in the meal... it makes a outstanding mashed potatoes....
                Hahaha, you sound like me. I loooove potatoes. Every which way! You know I heard that in South America there were like a hundred different kinds of potatoes some with a lower GI. I've always been interested in those but outside of going to Peru I guess I won't be able to.

I was thinking of making blue mashed potatoes with those bluish-purple potatoes but i'm not sure what happens to the color when you cook them. Plus I've banned potatoes from my diet for a while.
                Cariblanguage.org

Comment

What about just eating the skins....

I scrub my taters and use a paring knife to get thick skins that have a tensy bit of the white on em yes and soak em in salt water about 1/2 gal of water and sea salt 1 teaspoon in the fridge.... ok then drain an pat dry with a paper towel then toss your taters in a bowl using extra light olive oil drizzel some over your taters and season any way you like and bake em serve em with yogurt, salsa, sour cream, or a cheese dip...or what ever.. they are easy and really good.

Comment

Hey .....What's for Dinner?

Today I am cooking a half a chicken on this rotisserie I bought at this outdoor swap meet for $10.00 what a deal it only holds a 13 lb turkey but it was like brand new in a the box all accessories with I couln't help but buy it... works great....it has a fish box thingy and shish ga bobs dojiggy and it dont heat up the kitchen ...

Fresh green beans with mashed garlic and a hint of olive oil
                    and roasted carrots I stick on the rotisserie.. when I roast my chicken lol

Arugula salad with (wild violet flowers my own) and other greens
                    sliced tomato sunflower seeds and fresh basil that’s my salad ...my own salad dressing recipe made with a tablespoon of fresh orange juice, lemon juice , spices and Mrs. dash and honey Dijon mustard

Wild rice with bacon bits I sometimes put in some hominy or chopped walnuts I love walnuts. Just a little bit to give it a nutty flavor

Musk melon or raspberries for dessert with angel food cake that’s diet my yuppie store just started a sugar free bakery section pretty .....kuel ...

My breakfasts are really boring Steele cut oats or Raisin bran I add my own almonds to my cereal and a banana, tea and sometimes a boiled egg and a glass of soy milk and green tea and a fruit like a small plum or peach or apple, prunes or figs or dates ...for a mid snack

Lunch is also boring....lol just a salad sometimes I squeeze my fish in this meal like tuna salad or crab or sardines or salmon or left over chicken ...rather than having it for dinner cause sometimes if I eat it at night belch it up... tea and a few croutons on my salad. my mid snack is peanut butter on celery or cream cheese on sesame seed crackers---Topped with diced dates or cinnamon cream cheese with raisins weird but it tastes ok

Has anyone ever tried eating squash blossoms??
                    or dandelions?

Comment

Fried stuff squash blossoms and squash blossom soup, yummy!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
                        I have been eating more and more sweet potatoes
                        Roasted on the grill slices into medallions
                        damn good
                        I love sweet potatoes, always have. Usually I just bake them, like regular potatoes. Add some butter and a little brown sugar. mmmmmmmm

Originally posted by kgirl7 View Post
                        I agree. Very refreshing. For Passover I make charoset with jicama. It's always a big hit.

Originally posted by kgirl7 View Post
                        I was thinking of making blue mashed potatoes with those bluish-purple potatoes but i'm not sure what happens to the color when you cook them.
                        Blue potatoes are tasty. I've never used blue potatoes for mashed potatoes. Whenever I have cooked them, the color has degraded to a bluish gray. But maybe I just haven't cooked them right.

Originally posted by LaughingWaterWI View Post
                        My breakfasts are really boring Steele cut oats

Has anyone ever tried eating squash blossoms??
                        or dandelions?
                        The best oatmeal I've had is called "Thick & Rough" by Silver Palate.

I've only had dandelions a couple times. They were okay. I found them kind of bitter. Give me spinach any day!
                        sigpic

Comment

Wow, that all sounds wonderful. Last year the only good thing I got from my zucchini plants were the blossoms to fry up. I didn't think about stuffing them though. Too bad I gave up on container zucchinis.

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? I'm on twitter, posting my low carb breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners so follow me if you'd like. It's gonna keep me honest and hopefully show the variety of foods you can eat low carb.

LaughingWaterWi: Your whole spread (especially the rotisserie chicken) sound very tasty and good for you. I would just caution you on the few carb-laden items in your diet - crackers, grains, prunes, figs, and dates. And the banana.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X