This is NOT Frybread - Lasagna Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is NOT Frybread - Lasagna Pie

This is NOT frybread cooking. It's a sheet of pasta for my lasagna pie. http://www.powwows.com/gathering/rec...g-noodles.html
    Ingredients:
    Above recipe for noodles
    Spaghetti sauce
    Shredded cheese
    Meat - ground beef, Italian sausage, pepperoni, salami or any combo

After making a recipe of Easy Egg Noodles to use for lasagna, I didn't feel like waiting for a gallon sized pot of water to boil for the noodles, so I decided to make the lasagna in a large glass pie pan with large round noodles that could be cooked in a little water in a skillet. I divided the four into quarters, rolled it out thin and it was just right for a 10" deep dish pie pan. If you have a smaller pan, cut the dough into 5th's or 6th's.

Roll out thin into a circle, then place one by one into the boiling water in a large skillet and cook a couple minutes per side. It goes really fast. Turn with tongs.

Layer the lasagna starting with sauce in an oiled pie pan, sauce, noodle, sauce, meat, cheese, noodles, sauce, meat, cheese, etc..... ending with noodle, sauce, cheese.

Bake for 30 min at 350 degrees or until bubbly.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_1578.jpg
    Cut into slices and serve.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_1577.jpg
    See how nice the layers are.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/IMG_1581.jpg
    Last edited by wyo_rose; 08-05-2009, 10:05 PM.
    ...it is what it is...

MMMMMMMMMMM that looks delicious, now I'm hungry for pasta and I just ate a whole bag of Chex Mix. I know what I'm doing for dinner tomorrow, but I'll prolly just be too lazy and cook what ever is quick and easy. Fry bread is quick and easy though, and I'm too lazy to make that.
    CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
    sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

This was actually kinda quick and easy. I mixed the dough (2 cups flour, 1/2 t salt, 1/3 cup water, 2 eggs and 2 T oil), put the dough hooks on and let them go to work for 10 min while I cooked some italian sausage and got all the other ingredients ready. Rolling it out and cooking it the noodles took very little time and then it was in the oven for 30 minutes while I washed dishes and ate my dinner (sausage, onions, peppers, spaghetti sauce and cheese). Then I took it out of the oven and kicked back to relax.

I hope you do try it...my honey was a little reluctant, but he then he tore it up!!
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Well I move into my new place on the 10th so I'll have to try it then and report back to you. Thanks.
        CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
        sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Really looks delicious... Have you ever made spinach noodles or pesto noodles?
          I have a pasta machine and when I do my noodle dough in my processor it is so easy.
          but I also have a in-between size food processor and a mini one too I like taking a hand full of squeezed frozen spinach or fresh spinach is good too, and then also take some roasted tomato bits and then add this to your dough ingredients. I use my pasta machine and just make very wide lasagna noodles so I alternate them first layer is the plain noodles then my filling and or sauce next is my spinach noodles and filling and sauce. I really love mushrooms and I make a garden pesto filling with Italian sausage I fry the sausage up into tiny little crumbles and sprinkle them over my filling LOL now I already got myself confused JK... I do something similar only using corn tortillas making a enchilada type lasagna only using corn tortillas and layering then add the filling and enchilada sauce and cheese

Comment

That looks really good - and it never would've occurred to me to make it in a pie pan! I'm going to have to try that soon.

Comment

Yeah, I based it on the enchilada casserole method.

Spinach noodles sound wonderful. I'll have to find a low carb version. I thought about making low carb - eggy type noodles to make myself a low carb lasagna last night, but I was hungry and ate all my ingredients without the noodles.

Yes, anyone making this recipe, please let me know how it turns out.
              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Actually, when I first looked at that, I did not think fry bread. I thought, "That is one big fried egg!"

Comment

...it is what it is...

Comment

Lasagna Pie with commods:

Noodles (pasta rounds): 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup egg mix, 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup oil

Mix flour, salt and egg mix. Dump the water and oil in the center and mix. Knead for 10 min. Divide into 1/4ths, roll out into a pie pan shape, and simmer in a frying pan with boiling salted water.

Hamburger: Brown 1 pound hamburger and season with salt, pepper, garlic and whatever.

Sauce: Crush 1 can tomatoes (or blend), mix in 1 can tomato sauce. You can blend a can of carrots or crush (drain half the liquid) for some extra texture and vitamins. Season with oregano, garlic and whatever (basil, brown sugar, hot pepper, onion powder)

Optional filling: ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese. If all you have is sliced commod cheese, it will work. Otherwise you need a package of shredded monzarella and maybe some parmesan.

Heat oven to 350. Spray pie pan with non stick spray or just grease it up.
                    Spread a couple tablespoons of sauce on the bottom, then put in the smallest pasta round. Top with 1/2 the hamburger, 1/3 the remaining sauce, and 1/3 the cheese. Put on another pasta round.
                    This is your cheesy layer if you're using it. Spread on your ricotta cheese, or use your drained cottage cheese. Sprinkle on some garlic powder or Italian seasoning. Top with a little shredded cheese. Put on another pasta round. Do another meat layer, then top with the last pasta round. Spread on some sauce, any remaining meat and the rest of the cheese.
                    Bake for 45 min. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.
                    ...it is what it is...

Comment

DAAAAANGG that looks good!
                      ScarryWolf

Comment

Yum

That is so clever. Just have to try that soon. You do layer it like a regular lasagne.

annie

Comment

Oh yeah. It's just like regular lasagna. Just way easier...and CHEAPER!! Last time I made the dough into 3rd's for thick noodles (like the way I like 'em), and this time I made them thin (divided into 4th's), and even stirred some Italian seasoning (a couple teaspoons) into the dough (the way my honey likes it).

This batch of noodles cost like 40 cents, or "free" with commod flour, egg mix and oil. The noodles only take a couple minutes to boil and in much less water. So it saved a lot of time too - for waiting for a large pot of water to boil, then cooking the noodles for 15 minutes or whatever.

So while my dough was on the dough hook kneading away, I cooked the hamburger, seasoned the sauce and got everything ready. I even started with the bottom layers while cooking the top layers.

Baking it 45 minutes made it nice and crispy on the top, but if you're in a hurry just cook it for 30 minutes.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

tomorrow's dinner

I think you need an award for this one.
                            Hope to try it soon.

Annie

Comment

Thanks! Let me know. I may make it a featured recipe.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.