Kitchen Disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Disasters

Anybody have any kitchen horror stories to share?

I was warming up some chili the other day and THOUGHT I turned it off before I ran off to my class. Needless to say, I turned it to HIGH accidentally, and after arriving 4 hours later, my house was FULL of chili bean smoke.

EVERTHING in my house smells like SMOKE!

Worst of all, I totally ruined the heavy duty, double-bottomed aluminum pot that my dad left me. After removing it from the heat and it was cooling down, we heard a big PING and the doubled bottom completely separated from the pan.

I'm sure any of my other pots couldn't have handled that heat and would have burnt down my house.

Then I go and burn cauliflower in the smaller pot my dad left me last night. My honey chopped me off cooking for awhile.

Anyone know how to remove smoke damage?
    ...it is what it is...

On the subject of ruining pots,The other day I had burned some apples in this pot that my Mom had gotten this spring.We were really exited,as we had needed a pot this size for a while.So,OK I burned this stuff,we cleaned it out and Mom put it on the stove to burn the rest of the stuff out.No big deal, we usually do this when we burn something really bad.The previous night my Mother and brother had gone to this blacksmithing class..Mom takes the pot off the stove,it gotten REALLY hot now,she turns the pot to show me that it all came out and something drips off the pot.At first we didn't realize what it was,them she tips it again and another one falls.Then we figure out that it's the aluminum core inside of the copper bottom of the pot dripping[and burning!]on the floor.We put out the smoke and cooled the pot down,and now the bottom of her pot is caved in a little so we are not sure we can use it.The joke was maybe she wasn't done blacksmithing from the night before!

Not that I can talk.I was boiling water one time and there was this potholder on another pot behind it.I was talking to my brother and he asked me if I wanted the flames there?The pot holder had slid down and was burning quite nicely on the stove!So now my brother still checks once in a while to see if there are any flammable item on the stove.

So, don't feel bad,but thank goodness the pot was pretty heavy!

Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
    - Solomon

Comment

The summer before I started grad school, I had a summer internship at Argonne Nat'l Lab. ANL arranged to rent a dorm at a college downwind of the Keebler plant in Elmhurst IN. This dorm was crammed with 200+ interns.

We had been told there was going to be food service but in fact there was not. So 200 hundred people had to try to cook dinner between 5-7 pm on three communal stoves and three communal microwaves. These were in large common areas in the center of the dorm, with no less than 3 hardwired smoke detectors.

Now, the problem with communal appliances is the communal -- read non-occurring -- cleaning. The stove tops got pretty nasty and smoky. For the entire summer the alarm went off 2-3 times a week and summoned the Elmhurst FD.

Comment

OMG I have fell asleep while I was boiling chicken burnt chicken smells bad and so does burnt boiled eggs, but just 3 months ago I was broiling steak in a broiler and the onething you dont do is use foil to wrap the broiler pan you need holes so that the grease can drain down or it will catch on fire and that is a mess never do that again, I thought I would save on the mess by doing this and almost had to call 911 fire squad...

Comment

EVERY time I make garlic toast in the oven I burn it...EVERYTIME!!!
          ...it is what it is...

Comment

We make a lot of rice at our house,and we like the medium grain rice in particular.It can be hard to find up here but we have gotten a hold of some,My mom and I have both burned 2 pots of it!! that is very unusual for us,as we have been making it for some time.It also helps if you can pay full attention to what you are doing!

Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
            - Solomon

Comment

Mine would be about chilli too...I forgot to turn it down when I went in the basment to put laundry in the dryer lol When I came back upstairs chilli was boiling all over and had splattered the wall and oven...had to soak the pot for like 3days till all the stuff came off the bottom of it lol

Comment

grabbed the wrong spice and yuk

I had a big pot of chilli going on and went to the stove taste tested it and I said gee this needs some more chilli powder why it happened I don't know but I grabbed the cinnamon and shook in about a tsp full it wrecked my chilli .... it could of been it was because I was in a hurry who knows but it was not a good thing lol

Comment

Talk about the wrong spices! Once we had a friend staying with us and we were making some tea.She asked for the sugar and I pointed out to her the blue jar where we keep the table sugar.She thought I meant the bigger blue jar containing sea salt that was also on the table...that was funny!!
                  On the subject of chili powder..A while back we had bought a new container of chili powder and I had used it several times already,My mom and I were in the kitchen and I was in a hurry and was adding some chili to the food.I forgot it was a flip top container and quickly unscrewed the whole top and dumped in about a 1/4 of a cup of chili!!Needless to say,way too much for the meal we were making.

- Solomon

Comment

Oh My- BE Sure To Check The Expiration Dates

Well Nothing like diceing sliceing and preparing all the ingredients to make somethng and then you reach out and grab cream of mushroom soup that is out dated and spoils your whole dish.
                    This is a good one right now I am in the subburbs taking care of my deceased fathers place and instead of gettin in the car and driving all the way to the darn grocery store I have a gas station convient store in walking distance and all I needed was milk needlees to say I got refunded but I bought a gallon of milk that was out dated and ya know this also caused a spoiled dinner I was making chicken alfredo and needed for that thank goodness it was not a big recipe it was just a two serving thing..
                    ONE helpfull tip when you buy food goods from the dollar places I have found many dates that are soon to expire, also most stores put the outdated goods i the front and the new stuff in the back on the shelves
                    happy cooking everyone

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X