The All Curry Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The All Curry Thread

Hey ya'll it's Maileena's Dad formerly known as Oneida Dreamer.

I'm here this fine September evening to talk about "Curries".

I first had the great fortune of eating "dot" Indian & Pakistani & Afghani and Thai & Jamaican food when I was 18. And let me tell ya it blew my eclectic mind. So in the last say 6 years I have been perfecting my own style of cooking from those regions.

It really helps that one part of my medicine is cooking totally amazing food. With having said that; a part of my power is cooking. What comes along with that is my memory for flavors, smells, and textures, as well as imagery. That really helps in duplicating food which I have devoured and savored over my life.

This post is just the intro. I'm gonna post my first recipe soon. I would like for all who view this to come away with at least their eyes open to other culinary options than just sticking to the safe Chinese "Buffet" food. As Indian buffets exist too.

As well as any great folks out there who would love to share their own experiences in eating "curries" from other peoples. In addition to sharing their own recipes of how they prepare a dish with curry being one of the main ingredients.

In addition, this food is a huge passion of mine. It is one of most ancient of spice/blends in the world, nigh ancient as India herself. Curry is soo good for you, it is food for the soul. And contrary to popular perception, curries aren't all burn your face off food. That is only some of them, and they are to be taken quite seriously. Cuz guess what? Indians make fried bread too! & it's awesome differently than ours.

So without any further adieu I present this thread...
    Last edited by MaileenasDad; 09-03-2011, 01:27 AM.
    Make your daughters see the wisdom of dating/marrying DORKS not thugs. The most dangerous thing about Dorks is they just might kick too many people's tails on a video game or play GI Joe or Transformers with their kids. Or worse yet know way way too much about dinosaurs...

Love curries. I quite often make a lamb curry that the Gurkha soldiers I served with showed me how to make. It is to die for...
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

hello a curry fan here, mom started us early on it one thing she showed me is when cooking with curry i needed iron fry pan and the curry need to be set free with some onions and butter on a slow cook to release the flavor then after about 10 or 15 add broth and ever you wanted to thicken it with also she cooked the taters in the chicken broth with the carrots you can add green peas at the end,also in a different pan you can put some pars and sugar with some water and cook that down for chunty and add some nuts and eat everything over rice
      Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..It's about learning to dance in the rain. for me and the wolf

Comment

the power of the paper and computer

the time has come to ve intruqued of the universe....it is timw for relationships

Comment

don't forget to throw in a lil love each time ;-)

I just made my first yellow curry in like 3 months tonight! For real man. I put:

Dry Herbs

5 shakes Coriander (optional)
          1 shake Cumin (note: do not put much in or it will overpower your dish and taint it)
          2 shakes Fenugreek (optional maybe hard to find)
          6 shakes Yellow Generic Curry Powder
          2 shakes Onion Powder
          2 shakes Garlic Powder
          Salt (optional as there is salt in soy sauce and butter)
          4-5 shakes Pepper
          3 shakes Dried Basil
          4-5 shakes Powdered Ginger
          tbs. whole mustard seed

Fresh Produce

4 cloves garlic I minced it but you can make it any size you wish
          1/3 medium white or yellow onion diced optional (note: don't use red or a sweet vidallia you want to know there is onion in it)
          2 celery stalks medium/large diced
          handful of baby carrots medium diced
          2 stalks of baby bok-choy large diced
          handful of snow peas left whole
          1/4 head of cauliflower large chunks
          1/4 Anaheim chile (optional)
          1/4 bunch of cilantro (optional for pizazz right before plating)

Wet Ingredients

1/2 stick butter
          extra virgin olive-oil (optional if no butter present)
          3-4 tbs. apple cider vinegar
          3-4 tbs. soy sauce
          1-2 tbs. chile/garlic infused white vinegar (optional)
          1 1/2 cup water (you don't want it to reduce into sludge)

Meat:

I used 1 lb. skinless boneless chicken breast. Mine came in a freezer package already severed into chicken strips and chunks.

But feel free to use steak or scallops or deer or whatever suits your fancy. I primarily use lean Angus steak or chicken.

Remember just don't put in all of your veggies at once or your cauliflower will get all overdone as will your bok-choy.

Start by sauteing your garlic and onion in your butter and or your oil till they start to turn translucent.

Know that your carrots and celery and chiles should go in first along with your meat/s. Set to low-medium heat and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Then throw in the cauliflower second. Turn to coat them all. This is important as they will completely absorb the flavors while maintaining their firmness. Cover and let stand for 5-8 minutes.

Then right when your chicken is done throw in your bok-choy and snow peas and cilantro.

And Viola` you have created a curry!!!

Serves: 4-6

I used a blend of 2/3s cup of Thai Red-Rice and 1 cup of Jasmine rice for added color. I recommend Jasmine or Basmati as they are both very fragrant and add much to the overall presentation and flavor of the meal. But of course Uncle Ben's or just some plain white rice is fine too. The rice part is wholly up to you. You can also use the thin transparent rice noodles or angel hair pasta. You may even opt to use Ramen noodles. (just don't use the season packet huh?)

I hope you enjoy this dish I ate last night. And if you do whip up a version of this please give me some feedback. Again like any other recipe you may sub in whatever you wish or omit anything as well. Ain't that the beauty of cooking no?

Enjoy
          Last edited by MaileenasDad; 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM.
          Make your daughters see the wisdom of dating/marrying DORKS not thugs. The most dangerous thing about Dorks is they just might kick too many people's tails on a video game or play GI Joe or Transformers with their kids. Or worse yet know way way too much about dinosaurs...

Comment

Excuse me what????

Originally posted by cousini View Post
            the time has come to ve intruqued of the universe....it is timw for relationships

Comment

Here you go MD, a Gurkha curry:

Lamb Curry Gurkha-Style

Gurkhas, soldiers from Nepal, took this curry formula wherever they went, be it Malaya or the Falkland Islands. The use of yogurt in this curry tempers the chiles. Note that this recipe requires advance preparation.

Ingredients

Lamb

Cooking Method

Simmer

Heat Level

Chile, Cayenne

Meal/Course

Dinner

Main Course

Serves

Ingredients

1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 tablespoon cayenne powder

2 pounds lean and boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced

2 cups unsweetened yogurt

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter, or substitute vegetable oil

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 cup water

Salt to taste

½ cup cilantro leaves

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 teaspoon nutmeg powder

½ teaspoon clove powder

½ teaspoon cardamom powder

Methods/steps

Combine the vinegar and cayenne powder and toss the meat in it. Add the yogurt and ginger and marinate the meat for about 3 hours at room temperature.

Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat for 1 minute; add the ghee, the lamb with its marinade, black pepper, turmeric, water, and salt, and bring to a rapid boil. Lower the heat, cover the skillet, and simmer for 40 minutes.

Add the cilantro, cumin, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom powders, stir in well, and serve hot.
              Last edited by yaahl; 09-04-2011, 09:38 PM.
              A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

mmmmmmmmm leftover curry

just killed two more bowls today for brunch. booyah!

Comment

mmm,sounds good, now I think i'll try that for dinner tomorrow night,removing the peppers, and using jasmine rice...mmm...sounds great!!!
                  I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

Originally posted by trouble View Post
                    mmm,sounds good, now I think i'll try that for dinner tomorrow night,removing the peppers, and using jasmine rice...mmm...sounds great!!!
                    If you don't like the heat of a curry, try Gurkha curries, they are mostly about flavour over the heat intensity.

Comment

Thanks yaahi, I'll keep that in mind, you're right, I do have a very sensitive mouth...thanks for the tip!!
                      I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

Wow, this is something that I've NEVER tried!! I think my mom had a full bottle of curry powder in her cupboard that was about 40 years old.

I just bought a small NEW bottle of curry powder, could NOT find fenugreek, or anybody that knew what it was, nor cardamon.

But I'm excited to try these recipes, as they look fairly low in carbs.

Thanks so much for posting these!!
                        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose View Post
                          Wow, this is something that I've NEVER tried!! I think my mom had a full bottle of curry powder in her cupboard that was about 40 years old.

I just bought a small NEW bottle of curry powder, could NOT find fenugreek, or anybody that knew what it was, nor cardamon.

But I'm excited to try these recipes, as they look fairly low in carbs.

Thanks so much for posting these!!
                          You might be able to find powdered cardamon in a bulk food store t
                          that specializes in baking.

Fenugreek is also called Methi in Hindu so you mught find it under that.

Comment

The All Curry Thread

Im sittin here reading all the posts in here. I start thinking about cooking and what you could do to add a different taste to the table.

Anyways my suggestion for something for someone to try.

Take something that you would bake or slow cook. Turkey/Chicken/Duck/Squirrel/...ect... Rap it in bacon and out chunks of apples inside the cavity maybe. And then however or whatever else you want to try??

Just a suggestion.

Dean_311

Comment

Forty year old Curry is better than no curry though, prolly doesn't taste much different, than the day it was spat into the bottle

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.