• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wyo_rose
    Ready to dance
    • Jun 2002

'Tis the Season..for Grilling Tips

Anybody have any good grilling tips they'd like to share?

Here's a new one for me: Spray the grill with non-stick spray before putting food on it.

Grill corn on the cob whole, then husk it and take the threads off when it's finished...WAY easier. (some soak it in water for an hour first)

Cut bananas in half and grill the cut side first, then turn them over and sprinkle the cut side with brown sugar, then take them off when the sugar has melted.

Easy shishkabobs: Use Italian dressing mixed with a little mayo for a marinade (the mayo helps it stick to the food). Make separate skewers of meat and each veggie, due to the fact they cook at different rates.

Good veggies for kabobs: zucchini or summer squash cut in THICK slices, small bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, pearl onions, mushrooms, even whole radishes!

The best skewers are large flat metal skewers. They help cook the middle of the food and the flatness keeps the food chunks from spinning.

A charcoal chimney works great to start briquettes...easy, starts them evenly and you don't have to use half a bottle of lighter fluid.
    ...it is what it is...
  • xTekno
    In the summer heat
    • Jan 2004

Thought this was about shooting first, asking questions later ...

Comment

• wyo_rose
      Ready to dance
      • Jun 2002

I'm always bass ackwards. LOL

Tequila Portobello

1/4 tequila
      2 tablespoons melted butter
      1 tablespoon minced onion
      2 tablespoons lime juice

Brush liberally on the Portobellos before and during grilling.

FRUIT:

Pineapple spears or pineapple chunks on a skewer are great.

Halved stone fruits such as nectarines, peaches and plums and grill cut side down. Can be brushed with anything buttery, citrusey, dessert spicy (cinnamon, allspice, cardamon, even black pepper), a sweet mustard glaze, or a light habanero glaze.

Thick Apple slices marinated in a citrusey mixture to prevent browning and burning, are good.
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

• Grits & Beans
        Ugh. As. If.
        • Jan 2003

i'm trying to get my old roommate to give up his marinade formula so i can try it next time we bbq...his bbq is off the chain. if i can get it i'll post it here

Comment

• Grits & Beans
          Ugh. As. If.
          • Jan 2003

no such luck on the marinade secret. does anyone have a marinade recipe they don't mind sharing?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.