Holiday favorites and recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's a great soup recipe.

Beef Fajita Soup ( deer & bufflao is good also)

1 pound lean, boneless beef stew meat, trimmed of all fat and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 14 1/2 ounce can beef broth
    2 cups water
    1 16 ounce package frozen fajita style vegetables, thawed
    1 14 1/2 ounce can Mexican style thick and chunky tomato sauce
    1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic pepper
    sour cream, chopped avocado, and shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese, for garnish

Combine the beef, broth, water, vegetables, tomato sauce, pinto beans and cumin in bottom of the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in the black beans, seasoned salt and garlic pepper. Heat, covered, 10 minutes longer. Serve topped with sour cream, avocado and cheese. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
    don't you be wastin' all your money
    on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

X mas dinner

Pheshant, geese, quail, hungarian, or duck.
      Cut breast and drum stick off
      cut drum stick portions off
      save drum sticks and cavity of bird for soup base
      cook breast of bird on frying pan/scullying it
      take out fry pan
      wrap cooking string around bird tightly
      put bird into oven to cook 15 minutes
      Get bird out unstring it
      already prepared dressing stuff it inside bird
      wrap w/ three bacon strips
      hold bacon strip w/tooth picks
      put in oven 15 minutes or 20 minutes size of bird
      apply soup base as needed to bird
      Bacon strips should enclosed around bird
      cut bird into slices and serve up with your farvorite foods
      subsitute a wine for cooking bird to birds meat color (not much wine just enough to cover bottom of bird) burn all the alcohol out

Comment

Easy Eggnog: I've been making this since I was 12.:Angel:

In a blender, pour 1 cup milk, add 1 egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon sugar and blend. Top with nutmeg.

Of course you could use it in a mix.:Chatter

Disclaimer: Use pasteurized eggs if you are thinking of serving this to babies or tots, pregnant women, an elderly person, or someone who's health is compromised. (copied from Martha Stewart magazine's recipe for eggnog mouse, which I'm gonna try this weekend)
        ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
          Does anyone have a good popcorn ball one? My mother-in-law always made tons of em to give all the kids and grand kids. They were the highlight of the season. We'd much till New Year's. :7: She had her own recipe that called for white corn syrup, sugar, creme of tartar and vinegar. Unfortunately the recipe passed with her in '92. :( :Cry
          ahhh! one of my sister-in-laws makes the BEST popcorn balls! omg! .. i'll see if i can get the recipe. :)

Comment

Christmas Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup of water
            1 tsp baking soda
            1 cup of sugar
            1 tsp salt
            1 cup of brown sugar
            lemon juice
            4 large eggs
            1 cup nuts
            2 cups of dried fruit
            1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequilla

Sample the Cuervo to check quality.
            Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo
            again, to be sure it is of the highest
            quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one
            cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again.
            At this point it's best to make sure the
            Cuervo is still OK, try another cup .
            just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2
            leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in
            the cup of dried fruit, Pick the
            frigging fruit off floor... Mix on the
            turner. If the fried druit gets stuck
            in the beaterers just pry it loose with
            a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to
            check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or
            something.
            Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon
            juice and strain your nuts. Add one
            table. Add a spoon of sugar, or
            somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash
            the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees
            and try not to fall over. Don't forget
            to beat off the turner. Finally, throw
            the bowl through the window, finish the
            Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the
            dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS
            don't you be wastin' all your money
            on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

I have lots of favourites! The one thing I am doing this year is cooking a turkey in them there cooking bags. *LOL*. We did that for Thanksgiving for the first time and its great. Just put all the veggies in there too. Wow. I feel so high tech and with it all now *LOL* :P
              "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Originally posted by SBZ4life
                Beer, shots, liquour, wine...fav recipe!!
                That's what I'm talking about!!:Tongue :drink:
                If you should suck my soul, I should lick your funky emotions. Nothing's good unless you play with it, play with me baby.

Did you just see what god did to us man?

If Barbie is so popular why do have to buy her friends?

Comment

Okay I know this has nothing to do with Holiday recipes, but- everytime I make frybread for my husband's family they go CRAZY! They eat that sh%$ up like it's the last food on earth! I swear! Anyways- yeah so this year my sis is making a turkey and my mom is bringing a ham! Something for everyone! And they want my husband to make a greenbean casserole. My family loves that crap! I don't really care for it but hey!!! At least everyone will be happy!:p :)
                  If you should suck my soul, I should lick your funky emotions. Nothing's good unless you play with it, play with me baby.

Comment

Did someone say frybread?

Oneida Mrs, howcomes you dint enter that frybread contest on your rez? I heard some Menoms placed. I had to be in Chicago that weekend or I might have tried out, just for fun. Family here too acts like they go nuts for it...lol

Comment

Re: Did someone say frybread?

Originally posted by Awful_Mnom_Woman
                      Oneida Mrs, howcomes you dint enter that frybread contest on your rez? I heard some Menoms placed. I had to be in Chicago that weekend or I might have tried out, just for fun. Family here too acts like they go nuts for it...lol
                      Actually me and my mom wanted too, but I live in Wyoming and my momma lives in Co. I would have liked to though! I ain't trying to pay all that money to go to Wi. unless I have other reason's to be there. The rest of my family lives out there in Oneida and Green Bay. My uncle Keith actually used to be the Deputy Sheriff up there on Menom rez. My family is scattered all over Wi but they are mostly up in Oneida and Green Bay. If I woulda been up there for family reasons I probably woulda.;)

Comment

Since my husband is allergic to eggs, I make my cornbread and dressing w/o them. This is my grandmother's dressing recipe:

1 skillet day-old cornbread, finely crumbled
                        1 packet of saltine crackers or 6-7 slices white bread(let bread
                        sit out for a couple of hours)
                        1 medium onion, chopped fine
                        1 small bunch celery, chopped fine or diced
                        pepper, sage to taste
                        3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock
                        1/2 stick softened butter or margerine(optional)

Mix all ingredients. Put in casserole or roasting pan, cover, and bake at 325 for 1 hour. Or stuff turkey with it after turkey has baked until 1 hour shy of being done.

Here is a traditional Cherokee dish that is tasty and nutritional too.

1 can or 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained.
                        1 can or 2 cups corn, drained
                        1 small onion(1/2 cup), chopped fine
                        1 small zuchini or yellow squash, uncooked, chopped coarse
                        1 or 2 ripe paw-paws, peeled and chopped*
                        1 small red bell pepper, chopped
                        1 good bunch water cress, chopped

*can use mango, mandarin oranges, tangerines, or steamed plaintains instead.

Mix all ingredients. season with some Ms Dash if you like and drizzle with salad or basalmic vinegar and olive or light salad oil. Chill in fridge or serve straight up. In the old days, this was drizzled with well-strained bear grease, but this is hard to find nowdays. Goes well on tortillas or with BBQ or roasted meats. Not a main dish, but great as a garnish.

Considering how many of us have problems with obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, some of our traditional dishes might ought to be served more often. That and getting our big ooks(that's onze to you Lakota's) off the couch and outside to exercise more often. And put that extra piece of pie on the spirit plate instead of down your gullet(anything chocolate is exempt of course).

Comment

Ever since I was pregnant with my last baby I didn't like pork. Pork (chops) makes me just wanna throw up! It's all about the chicken now though! Turkey is aight too as long as it is white meat. Good stuff maynard!:Thumbs :ready2eat

Comment

Here's a variation on a traditional Southeastern NDN meal.

Black Bean soup with roasted Squash(6 servings r 12 cups)
                            for the soup:
                            6 oz smoked bacon, diced
                            2 tbsp olive oil
                            1 med-large chile pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
                            3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
                            1 large red onion, diced
                            1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
                            3 stalks celery, diced
                            2tbsp toasted and ground cumin seed
                            2 bay leaves, broken in half
                            1 cup dry Spanish sherry or red wine(non-alcoholic)
                            2 cups dry black bean, rinsed, soaked overnight in water to cover, and drained
                            1 smoked hamhock
                            3 qts chickenstock(homemade is best)
                            salt and coarse ground black pepper
                            to taste

for the squash:
                            2 lbs calabaza, acorn, or other winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-size pieces
                            2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
                            2 tbsp sugar
                            1 tsp salt
                            1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper

for the crema:
                            1 cup sour cream
                            1 1/2 tsp lime juice
                            1/4 tsp salt
                            1/2 tsp toasted and ground coriander seeds

To prepare the beans, cook the bacon in the olive oil in a large soup pot over med heat until beginning to crisp. stir in the chile pepper and garlic. turn up heat to med-hi, add onion, bell pepper, and celery and stir to coat. Carmelize veggies, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min.
                            Add the cumin, bay leaves and sherry or red wine, bringing to simmer. simmer until liquid is reduced by half(4-5 min). add the beans, ham hock, and chicken stock and ring back to simmer. skim impurities off top(grease n stuff), reduce heat to med-lo and simmer until beans are tender but not mushy, about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

Heat oven to 350. COmbine squash, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper in a roasting pan or heavy skillet, tossing to coat. roast for 30-40 min utnil squash is tender. set aside in warm place.

For crema: whisk all the ingredients together in bowl. chill until ready to serve.

Remove bay leaves from beans, scoop 2 1/2 cups of beans and broth into blender and puree. pour back into pot and stir well-this gives soup some body, and simmer another 30 minutes, season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in to squash and cook 5 more minutes.
                            Serve soup in bowls and dollop a spoonful of crema on top in each.

Tried this from recipe in newspaper, and its pretty good. each serving has 750 calories, 44 grams protein, 65 grams carbs, 16 grams fiber, 31 grams fat, 60 mg cholesterol, and 2137 mg sodium. You can leave out the salt and substitute lemon peel or mrs dash, and the crema sauce is not required if you want to cut back on the fat and cholesterol a bit. Instead of hamhock, try 4-5 cups smoked turkey or chicken breast to loose a bit more fat and cholesterol.
                            Last edited by One Hot Mama; 01-14-2004, 08:13 PM.

Comment

so many good recipes! making me hungry! well it is hard for me to post a recipe ... because i don't follow any specific measurements .... when ever i figure it out i will post some recipes. but hey.. thanks to the ones that posted their's .. they all sound good! gonna try em too ;)
                              "When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Comment

i dont like eggs so i'll pass on any egg recipes :p
                                Potato salad i like tho :) (like yoda) :Chatter

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.