Holiday favorites and recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mato Winyan
    Does anyone have a good popcorn ball one? My mother-in-law always made tons of em to give all the kids and grand kids. They were the highlight of the season. We'd much till New Year's. :7: She had her own recipe that called for white corn syrup, sugar, creme of tartar and vinegar. Unfortunately the recipe passed with her in '92. :( :Cry
    make your pop corn balls with marshmellows and a pkg of jello mix fer falvouring and color

1 bag of popcorn
    1 bag of lrg marshmellows
    1 pkg of jello (any flavour you want)
    butter

pop your popcorn
    melt 1/2 cup of butter and add marshmellows, stir till smooth then add your jello powder and stir till disolved, pour mixture over popcorn and mold into balls.

Kids love these at there class parties, i usually wrap them up in celephane paper and tie with little ribbon depending on the holiday.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

So, that time again?

Gravy for the Turkey...you can start this the day before...
      4 cups pear nectar (comes in cans)
      2 cups Port/Sherry (wine section)
      1 stick unsalted butter
      1/4 cup honey
      1/2 tsp sage
      4 cups chicken broth

Boil all BUT the chicken broth together until volume is reduced to about 2 cups (about 40 minutes).
      Reserving 1 cup for the actual gravy, brush what you've boiled down over the turkey to glaze it.

Then pour 1 cup of chicken broth in bottom of roasting pan.
      Cover turkey with foil. Baste every half hour.
      Remove pan juices, let sit until fat separates.
      Remove fat/grease layer and pour remaining pan juices into a sauce pan.
      Add remaining chicken broth to this. Boil.
      Add that second cup of 'glaze' from paragraph 1, simmer for 5 minutes.
      Add thickener of your choice until you have the consistency you like. Then serve.
      "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

Comment

Here's the stuffin'/dressin'

Sausage/apple Stuffing

1 lb pork sausage
        4 cups breadcrumbs/stuffing cubes
        3 peeled apples cored and chopped
        1 large onion chopped
        1 cup chopped celery
        2 eggs
        1 1/2 tsp salt
        1 tsp poultry seasoning (or toss together your own sage and whatever combination)

In large saucepan brown sausage.
        Remove to bowl.
        In saucepan still containing sausage drippings, cook apples, onion and celery over medium heat until tender.
        About 10 minutes.
        Remove from heat. Add sausage meat and remaining ingredients.
        Bake in covered, greased casserole for the last 30-45 minutes of turkey cooking time. Serve.

I used to stuff the actual turkey. Until, I heard this could be bad for health reasons, not to mention the dressing gets real soggy if you aren't careful. Now I put it in the casserole dish and bake it.
        "The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota

Comment

Sweet Potatoes

This recipe turns even canned 'yams' into a delicious side dish.

1 large and 1 small can of yams/sweet potatoes
          1/2 cup butter, melted
          1 tsp baking powder
          1 tsp Vanilla
          1 tsp ground Cinnamon
          2 eggs
          1/2 cup brown sugar
          3/4 cup Buttermilk
          3/4 cup Chopped Pecans
          marshmallows

Heat sweet potatoes. Add melted butter. Combine with remaining ingredients EXCEPT marshmallows and pecans.
          Mix well with electric mixer. Blend in pecans with spoon. Put mixture in a greased 2 quart cassesrole. Bake 30 minutes @ 350 degrees.
          Top with marshmallows for the last 10 minutes. Serve.

Comment

You guys are making me hungry and its only 10:00 am. I like alot of the recipes here and think i will try a different recipe this holiday season Thanks for all those who have shared with us here at Pws.com

Comment

Sounds good! Now you have me thinking about other autumn goodies. I just may have to make some carmel apples and get some cider!

Comment

My granddaughter wants to make pumpkin pie from scratch....using her pumpkin and I just don't know how to fix the pumpkin. Tried it 20 years ago and burnt the pumpkin...Need help....with any and all info.

Comment

Originally posted by biggulp
                  Has anyone tried doing the turkey in one of those deep fryers you can buy at outdoors stores and surplus stores? How do they taste? Thinking of trying that this year.
                  My hubby did that last year, and it was so good! He got one of those syringe things that injects the seasoning into the turkey too. It didn't last long! Oh yeah, the oil was kinda expensive though.
                  If you cannot find what you seek within, you will not find it without.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tsanuwa Usgolv]Since my husband is allergic to eggs, I make my cornbread and dressing w/o them. This is my grandmother's dressing recipe:

1 skillet day-old cornbread, finely crumbled
                    1 packet of saltine crackers or 6-7 slices white bread(let bread
                    sit out for a couple of hours)
                    1 medium onion, chopped fine
                    1 small bunch celery, chopped fine or diced
                    pepper, sage to taste
                    3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock
                    1/2 stick softened butter or margerine(optional)

Mix all ingredients. Put in casserole or roasting pan, cover, and bake at 325 for 1 hour. Or stuff turkey with it after turkey has baked until 1 hour shy of being done.

Oh, that sounds a lot like our dressing! It's so good! My husband loves the stuff. We don't use stuffing at all, I just make 2 pans of dressing, lol.
                    If you cannot find what you seek within, you will not find it without.

Comment

[QUOTE=owleyes]
                      Originally posted by Tsanuwa Usgolv
                      Since my husband is allergic to eggs, I make my cornbread and dressing w/o them. This is my grandmother's dressing recipe:

1 skillet day-old cornbread, finely crumbled
                      1 packet of saltine crackers or 6-7 slices white bread(let bread
                      sit out for a couple of hours)
                      1 medium onion, chopped fine
                      1 small bunch celery, chopped fine or diced
                      pepper, sage to taste
                      3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock
                      1/2 stick softened butter or margerine(optional)

Mix all ingredients. Put in casserole or roasting pan, cover, and bake at 325 for 1 hour. Or stuff turkey with it after turkey has baked until 1 hour shy of being done.

Oh, that sounds a lot like our dressing! It's so good! My husband loves the stuff. We don't use stuffing at all, I just make 2 pans of dressing, lol.
                      Actually, this sounds quite good! I don't think anyone would miss the eggs used to bind. I'm getting hungry.....
                      Damme ape’semmai, "Andabichidaiboonee’ gimmadu’i.Wihyu memme hainjinee’ nahandu’i. Enne wizha sudei’ tsaangu mabizhiahkande," mai.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Comment

here's a great dip recipe it's great any time of the year
                        1 container of chives & onion cream cheese spread
                        1/2 C pizza sauce
                        1/2 C chopped green bell pepper
                        1/3C finely chopped pepperoni
                        1/2 C mozzarella cheese
                        Bagel chips or crackers

Heat oven to 350- in un greased baking pan, layer cream cheese spread, pizza sause, pepperoni, bell peppers& cheese.
                        bake 10-15 minutes or untill sheese is melted
                        serve warm with bagel chips or crackers.
                        don't you be wastin' all your money
                        on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

Originally posted by <_-~*No_nutts*~-_>
                          Actually me and my mom wanted too, but I live in Wyoming and my momma lives in Co. I would have liked to though! I ain't trying to pay all that money to go to Wi. unless I have other reason's to be there. The rest of my family lives out there in Oneida and Green Bay. My uncle Keith actually used to be the Deputy Sheriff up there on Menom rez. My family is scattered all over Wi but they are mostly up in Oneida and Green Bay. If I woulda been up there for family reasons I probably woulda.;)
                          Can you tell me how to make Fry Bread my mom usually makes it and she been really busy and my kid keeps asking for it he eats it like candy, and I don't know how to make it.
                          Please someone help, my kid acts like he's having withdraws from not having any it would be good if I could learn how to make this for him, I am not a person who likes ta cook, but I would like ta make this for him for the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelFeather
                            make your pop corn balls with marshmellows and a pkg of jello mix fer falvouring and color

1 bag of popcorn
                            1 bag of lrg marshmellows
                            1 pkg of jello (any flavour you want)
                            butter

pop your popcorn
                            melt 1/2 cup of butter and add marshmellows, stir till smooth then add your jello powder and stir till disolved, pour mixture over popcorn and mold into balls.

Kids love these at there class parties, i usually wrap them up in celephane paper and tie with little ribbon depending on the holiday.
                            what size of jello they have the small box and the large?

Comment

I was always wondering about those kinds of popcorn balls. Sounds WAY easier.

What I need is a basic banana cream pie recipe that uses Corn Starch like Betty Crokers. My cook book is missing that page (and several others) and that is the only recipe that turns out every time for me. Gotta try to impress the inlaws! :p
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Yelloweyes
                                what size of jello they have the small box and the large?
                                I usually use the small box and that does enough for even a few pkg, of pop corn... depending how colorful you want the balls to be

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.