1 cup Blanched Almonds
    8 cups Popped PopCorn
    1 1/3 Cups sugar
    1 cup Butter
    1/2 cup Corn Syrup
    1/2 tsp. Cream of tarter
    1/2 tsp. Baking powder
    1 tsp. Vanilla

Heat oven to 300 degrees C. Spread pecans and almonds on cookie sheet and toast lightly in oven. Cool and mix with Popcorn in a very large buttered bowl (Steel bowls work best) .

Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, and cream of tarter in a small heavy pan. Cook until mixture forms a hard ball when dropped in cold water, over 252 on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat, stir in soda then vanilla. Pour over popcorn and nut mixture. Mix so popcorn and nuts are coated, turn out on large cookie sheet and cool.

This idea is great for gift giving. You can buy the old tin novelty cans fill them up and Vwala... you have a great gift.
    I have seen the novelty cans at Costco, Dollar stores, Michaels, just keep your eye out. If you dont want to give it away just store the mix in a plastic baggy or any other container and bring out for guests during the holiday season.

~~~ Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. ~~~

Comment

AngelFeather

Thanks I'll go by a small pkg. I'm going to try this and see what happens.

Comment

I've made this for about 5 years in a row..........yum yum

Christmas Fudge
        [CENTER]one cup sugar
        half cup butter
        half cup heavy cream
        1/8 tsp. salt
        two cups powdered suger
        one tsp vanilla (the real vanilla is better than just flavor)
        half cup green candied cherries
        half cup red candied cherries

spray 8" X 8" baking dish with cooking spray. If you have a decorative looking type glass dish you can bake, it makes presentation easier and faster. I also like to decorate the "platter" or serving dish with plastic covered wrapping paper, or dusted with the powdered sugar! try using native american motif paper! In a large pot, bring sugar,butter,cream and salt to a boil (carefully!) strring alot.....then, after five minutes take from the burner, add the powdered sugar,and vanilla, and stir til smooth. Then add the cherries, finely chopped.....let this cool and then cut into squares.....you can add cocoa, although the light fudge is nice too....enjoy![/CENTER] :dancer: :c2: :c2: :c2: :c2: :39:

Comment

I just thought of a nother recipe long forgotten, hardly used

This is for an rather unusual stuffed turkey, variation used by my 100 year old gramma, passed on to me
          1)go to grocery store
          2)pick out the biggest, hugest juiciest turkey ever
          3)4 cups regular popcorn kernels
          4)stuff bird with kernels
          5)set oven to 500
          6)place bird in, go read a good book
          7)you will know your turkey is done when you hear the turkeys hind end hit the door of the oven.........
          you gotta think about that for a minnit.............
          :explode: :Chatter :Chatter :clapping: :c2: :c2: :c2:

Comment

Here's a favorite of my family they love when I make:
            Cheese-n-Garlic Mash Potatoes

Take and boil your potatoes and usual for how ever many people you are feeding.
            Drain potatoes very well.
            In a seperate mixing bowl combine 2 tablespoons of butter/margarine, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 of onion finey chopped, 10-15 slices of sandwich cheese.
            Mix well with fork.
            Add in potaotes, and blend well until completely mixed.
            Serve hot!!!
            Great with baked chicken/ham and corn/pole beans.
            What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!!!

Comment

hey guys have any thing easy and simple? somting that u can just put in the microwave

lolol!!!!!!!

Comment

With the holidays coming up I thought I would bump this up. Enjoy the goodness!!
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

Nnot necessarily a holiday recipe, but very good and filling...and low calorie. Got this from some Kurdish friends.

Spicy Beef(or buffalo, deer, moose, sheep, goat, etc) over basmati rice

Rice

1 1/2 cups rice
                  2-3 tbsp olive oil
                  6 oz pkg angel hair pasta, crumbled fine
                  1 small onion, chopped fine
                  1-2 cloves galic, minced
                  3 1/2 cups water

Heat oil in sauce pot on med-hi. Add all other ingredients and saute until onion and garlic is tender. Add water, cut to med-lo and simmer until done(15 minutes)

2lbs lean ground meat(or finely cubed)
                  2 med onions, chopped fine
                  5-7 cloves garlic minced(more if you like garlic, and I do)
                  3 tbsp olive oil
                  2 tbsp tumeric
                  2 tbsp coriander
                  2 tbsp cumin
                  1 tbsp crushed red pepper(more if you like it very spicy)
                  1 tsp coarse salt
                  pepper to taste

heat oil in deep skillet or dutch oven on med-hi. saute onion and garlic until tender. add spices and mix well. Add loosely crumbled meat and brown, mixing well with other ingredients. Cut heat to med-lo and simmer for 5-8 minutes. Serve over basmati rice. For complete meal add salads or steamed veggies. Serves 5-6.
                  Last edited by One Hot Mama; 11-05-2005, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Here's a cake that my grandma n i used to make together. It's really filling, one piece n i'm already full! -Perfect for the wintertime!

Pineapple Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
                    egg, oil, water according to package
                    1 can pineapple chunks-reserve the juice

mix batter for cake according to directions, pour into large cake pan, evenly add the pineapple chunks
                    bake -according to directions on package-35 to 40 min
                    remove from oven, pour the reserved pineapple juice over cake. when cake is cool, cover and refrigerate. leave overnight.

Frosting:
                    1 package Philadelphia Cream Cheese
                    1 package vanilla pudding
                    1 cup milk
                    blend until all smooth n creamy

Remove cake from refrigerator
                    frost
                    sprinkle shredded coconut and sliced almonds

serve with a good cup of coffee and enjoy!

Comment

Anyone have a kick azz recipe for Green Chile Stew?????

Anybody???????

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

Comment

This is one my favorites, I have to make an extra one & put it in the freezer cause the boys & hubby will eat it all up before dinner

CARAMEL APPLE PIE

15 oz. pkg. Pillsbury all ready pie crusts, or make your own
                        6-8 med. sized apples
                        3/4 bag Kraft caramels or one pkg. caramel wraps
                        Bisquick or flour
                        Brown sugar
                        Cinnamon
                        nutmeg
                        2 tsp. lemon juice
                        Caramel ice cream topping
                        2 (9 inch) deep-dish pie crusts

If using Kraft caramels, melt caramels according to directions on bag. Spread a thin layer of melted caramel or lay one and a half caramel wrap sheets on pie crust bottom. Slice half of your peeled apples into pie crust that has had a layer of caramel applied. Sprinkle layer of apple with cinnamon & nutmeg to taste. (Don't be afraid to sprinkle generously.) Sprinkle 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of Bisquick or flour over cinnamoned apple layer. Next, sprinkle 3 heaping tablespoonfuls of brown sugar.

Continue with "building" the pie by starting with another layer of caramel and continuing as above. Top pie with a layer of caramel, two sheets of caramel wraps if using this product, so you end up with a finished pie containing 3 layers of caramel and 2 layers of apple with dried ingredients.

Cover pie with top crust and slit top to allow steam to escape while baking. Spread caramel ice cream topping over top crust for your glaze and bake on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (or until golden brown). LET PIE COOL BEFORE EATING!!!!! (or risk losing the skin from the roof of your mouth)
                        don't you be wastin' all your money
                        on syrup and honey because i'm sweet enough

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Comment

Mmmm...sounds good!

Candae...here's my easy Green Chili Stew. If you're looking for the creamy white gravy looking kind of Green Chili....this ain't it.

Boil 1 - 2 pounds of any kind of pork with bones for about 1 1/2 hours. Take pork out, remove bones and chop or shred. Return to pot.

Add 1 large can tomatoes (chopped), 1 medium onion chopped, a can or two of green chilis, (or fresh if you got 'em), some jalapenos - either canned or fresh - to taste. A little minced garlic is good too.

Boil for awhile, then you can either add hominy (my fav) or potatoes (my family's fav) Boil for another 1/2 hour.

Anybody know how to make the Cake Mix Cookies that you roll out?
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by wyo_rose
                            Mmmm...sounds good!

Candae...here's my easy Green Chili Stew. If you're looking for the creamy white gravy looking kind of Green Chili....this ain't it.

Boil 1 - 2 pounds of any kind of pork with bones for about 1 1/2 hours. Take pork out, remove bones and chop or shred. Return to pot.

Add 1 large can tomatoes (chopped), 1 medium onion chopped, a can or two of green chilis, (or fresh if you got 'em), some jalapenos - either canned or fresh - to taste. A little minced garlic is good too.

Boil for awhile, then you can either add hominy (my fav) or potatoes (my family's fav) Boil for another 1/2 hour.

Anybody know how to make the Cake Mix Cookies that you roll out?
                            ewwww never had the creamy white lookin stuff. *L* Thanks! Sounds like the recipe I was looking for!

Comment

Cool! And I should add that you can add BOTH hominy and potatoes if you want. Or leave both out, like I USED to do. lol

I should also say that SOME people (no names lol) chop up their pork and fry it before they begin to boil it. But I'm all for quick and easy.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy for boiling my potatoes right out of the bag with the skins on, BEFORE I peel them. Makes it SO much easier. Then I just smash them with my hands to make potato salad. Comes from years of making hundreds of pounds of the stuff, I guess.
                              ...it is what it is...

Comment

I would have to use hominy. I love hominy and pork anyways. (sometimes I use pork roast, sometimes pork stew meat.) Great either way.

Anyone ever have taco soup??? If not it's really freakin easy and fast.

1lb of hamburger meat (more if you like hamburger! *L*)

2 cans of pinto beans

2 cans of hominy

2 cans of tomatoes (I prefer diced)

1 package of taco seasoning

1 package of ranch seasoning

2 cups water

(brown hamburger and drain fat)combine everything and cook for 1 to two hours in crock pot or stock kettle

You can serve with corn chips. Top with cheese and sour cream if desired.

really easy.....and really goot!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.