Cigar store Indians???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigar store Indians???

Though I doubt that anything can be done about it, I am deeply saddened when I see advertisements for these hateful, racist, stereotypical things (Cigar store Indians: Largest selection in USA Unbeatable Low Pricing) on a site devoted to so many of the good things about being who we are. I had the misfortune of having been in front of a tobacco store in Toronto when the shopkeeper was wheeling one of these things out the door when he said to me he would be right back as soon as he " chained Chief-(something I won't repeat because it was so disgusting) down cuz he's always chasing the squaws around"

In any other society, this would be grounds for rioting. Imagine opening a fruit stand and putting a big wooden carving of an African American person eating a watermelon in front of it. Or opening a laundromat and having a big wooden carving of a Chinese person in front of it. Why is it that we are the only people that this is acceptable to do this to??

Anyways, maybe I'm too sensitive or maybe I just care too much, but either way....can there not be some kind of filtering of what you allow to advertise on your site?

Miigwetch
    I never claim to be the best nDn, just the best nDn I know how to be.

Originally posted by Waabi-binesi
    Though I doubt that anything can be done about it, I am deeply saddened when I see advertisements for these hateful, racist, stereotypical things (Cigar store Indians: Largest selection in USA Unbeatable Low Pricing) on a site devoted to so many of the good things about being who we are. I had the misfortune of having been in front of a tobacco store in Toronto when the shopkeeper was wheeling one of these things out the door when he said to me he would be right back as soon as he " chained Chief-(something I won't repeat because it was so disgusting) down cuz he's always chasing the squaws around"

In any other society, this would be grounds for rioting. Imagine opening a fruit stand and putting a big wooden carving of an African American person eating a watermelon in front of it. Or opening a laundromat and having a big wooden carving of a Chinese person in front of it. Why is it that we are the only people that this is acceptable to do this to??

Anyways, maybe I'm too sensitive or maybe I just care too much, but either way....can there not be some kind of filtering of what you allow to advertise on your site?

Miigwetch
    I would not sweat it. Don't worry about the "Chief Woodie" or whatever the guy calls that log carved up to look like an ndn.

Look at it this way. Everyone that goes into the store sees the log. If the log looks like an ndn, then the first thing the public sees is an ndn. The log or wooden ndn is "IN YOUR FACE".

Look at it as a reminder that "WE ARE STILL HERE"!!!! Always was, Always will be.

Some day that log will rot away. Our people will hang around for a long time after that.
    Don't ask me what I think about something unless you want a truthful anwser. It may not be the anwser you are looking for.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X