Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the Wannabes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
    Blood quantum doesn't matter. It is the connection to a community and to your family. Are your elders alive or did they hide in the hills? Did they cut the umbilical cord to their people? Which nation do you come from?
    I am High Plains Sapony, a.k.a Person County Sapony, and Haliwa-Saponi. The Haliwa-Saponi side cut the umbilical cord. Nobody knew my G Grandmothers real name until she died. I never met her, she and my Grandfather didn't really get along. The High Plains Sapony stayed in touch. My G Grandmother died when i was 10 and I never met my G Grandfather. My grandmother is still alive, and she teaches me what she can, but she is over 80 years old. I really dont get to see her as much as I would like to either.

    My brother and I have made a trip to the tribal office in Person County. I guess we chose a bad time because no one was there. My grandfather went to Hollister and talked to them, but I am not really sure what they talked about. I am going to the Haliwa-Saponi pow-wow next weekend and I'm really excited. I am making my own efforts to educate myself. Its like I said, I just dont want to be humiliated or looked down on for doing it. I have grown up always proud of who and what I am, I would just like to know what to be proud of. And learn from people who can actually teach me.
    I am not a little bit of many things; but I am the sufficient representation of many things. I am not an incompletion of all these races; but I am a masterpiece of the prolific. I am an entirety, I am not a lack of anything; rather I am a whole of many things.

    C. JoyBell

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
      Whats the difference? Its all someone trying to be something or part of something that they are not...
      the difference is there is what you do for a living (artists, rappers, movie directors etc..) and there is what you do in your respective community (or way of life).

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by ARay View Post
        Let me apologize for that one. Sorry "Joe's Dad' I can admit when I'm wrong. I didn't realize that was your expalnation. I thought you were directing it towards me and maybe you were. But anyways, My apologies.
        no blood, no foul.

        actually JD is a very, very, very cool dude.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Grits & Beans View Post
          no blood, no foul.

          actually JD is a very, very, very cool dude.
          Just don't piss him off!!!! LMAO
          I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ARay View Post
            I am High Plains Sapony, a.k.a Person County Sapony, and Haliwa-Saponi. The Haliwa-Saponi side cut the umbilical cord. Nobody knew my G Grandmothers real name until she died. I never met her, she and my Grandfather didn't really get along. The High Plains Sapony stayed in touch. My G Grandmother died when i was 10 and I never met my G Grandfather. My grandmother is still alive, and she teaches me what she can, but she is over 80 years old. I really dont get to see her as much as I would like to either.
            If your grandmother is teaching your Indian culture, and learning about your culture and who you are is important then find a way to get to see her more often. You will not find her knowledge on the internet, in books, from some wacky shaman, or from a powwow.

            For me an Indian wannabe is someone with little to no Indian blood who is only being interested in Indian based on some antiquated or romantic notion of what being an Indian is (or because it's "cool"). You get them on here often times saying stupid stuff like they always knew they were Indian because they had a connection with wolves, or because their gggrandmother had butt length hair. Then they ask how to start powwow dancing. They have no desire to really do the legwork it takes to get to know their culture. Indians raised with their culture spend their entire lives learning about it, and wannabes think they can learn it all by going to powwows and reading books.

            I'm pretty lenient with people who don't know their heritage. (Of course I am biased, I am Black and Indian and don't look the least bit Indian.) I tell them the same thing over and over. Find out who your Indian family is FIRST. What frustrates me is that if they usually don't take this advice and rarely take the time to be patient, learn properly and LISTEN. I'm always amazed at the wealth of knowledge I receive if I just shut up and listen to people who are knowledgeable. Thirty minutes, seriously.

            As a result they only take the advice they want to hear, that is comfortable, that sounds cool usually from the lips of some wacky person named Crystal Running Bear, or Dancing Spirit Beetle and show up at a powwow with some Minnetonka shoes, a coyote fur on their head and owl feathers and then wonder why the full bloods are so mean.

            That's a wannabe, someone who wants to be some false notion of Indian. How can you be a true person based on a lie?
            Cariblanguage.org

            Comment


            • #36
              Wan na be!!!!!!

              WOW!!!Kgirl7 you said a mouthful there, great advice to give ARay!!!
              @ ARay, haven't you noticed that the only things you are getting here are insults from skins that haven't a damn thing to do with their life but mess up here insulting people cause they are a failure of human beings, living off tribal welfare in their shacks for a home on a broken-down rez for generation that made them this way, and internet in the day and the rez bar the night is the only pastime they have???
              Didn't soopashinaab, an Ojib, which it's a very well known fact that 99.9% of their blood is mixed with some other kind of race in the past to survive the N.A. holocaust, has the audacity to write, "I thought the Wannabes were a tribe from out East???"
              So ARay, she, him, whatever, has passed sentence on you since the Haliwa-Saponi is a eastern tribe.
              I have some wonderful friends Haliwa-Saponi, so, as Kgirl7 said, do the legwork do not waste your time on here I rarely come on this site, and yet when I signed up I thought it was a good thing but I soon realized that there are some Injun trolls on here that only know how to spit venom, it's their past time since they haven't a damned thing to do all day than drink and feed their babies of unknown fathers and see where they can get the next one.
              I'm a bit offended by the, "I thought the Wannabes were a tribe from out East???" I'm a 62 year old elder of the Mi'kmaq First Nation, an eastern tribe and I do not see my self nor my people as wannabes, is that understood!!!!!!!
              75% or more N.A.s starting from the Caribbean sea across USA way up the north pole are mixed with some other race, even the ones that "claim" 100% blood are mixed between tribes, and if they look skin deep there is some European in them.
              So, according to this good for nothing trolls, the only real N.A.s are from central plains going west???
              Just remember that the east coast has been the one that took the worst beating first from colonization!!!!
              ARay, you need to listen to your gmom, family and aunties that are in your culture the Haliwa-Saponi pow-wow is a good place to collect knowledge on who you are and who your people are and take it from there cause from these scum you wont get other than laughs and insults, they are here for that and maybe the WANNBES are them!!!!
              I rest my case.
              I'm sorry Paul G. it needed done!!!!
              Last edited by Mikjikjpipuqwes-skw; 04-08-2011, 05:49 AM.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Mikjikjpipuqwes-skw View Post
                WOW!!!Kgirl7 you said a mouthful there, great advice to give ARay!!!
                @ ARay, haven't you noticed that the only things you are getting here are insults from skins that haven't a damn thing to do with their life but mess up here insulting people cause they are a failure of human beings, living off tribal welfare in their shacks for a home on a broken-down rez for generation that made them this way, and internet in the day and the rez bar the night is the only pastime they have???
                Didn't soopashinaab, an Ojib, which it's a very well known fact that 99.9% of their blood is mixed with some other kind of race in the past to survive the N.A. holocaust, has the audacity to write, "I thought the Wannabes were a tribe from out East???"
                So ARay, she, him, whatever, has passed sentence on you since the Haliwa-Saponi is a eastern tribe.
                I have some wonderful friends Haliwa-Saponi, so, as Kgirl7 said, do the legwork do not waste your time on here I rarely come on this site, and yet when I signed up I thought it was a good thing but I soon realized that there are some Injun trolls on here that only know how to spit venom, it's their past time since they haven't a damned thing to do all day than drink and feed their babies of unknown fathers and see where they can get the next one.
                I'm a bit offended by the, "I thought the Wannabes were a tribe from out East???" I'm a 62 year old elder of the Mi'kmaq First Nation, an eastern tribe and I do not see my self nor my people as wannabes, is that understood!!!!!!!
                75% or more N.A.s starting from the Caribbean sea across USA way up the north pole are mixed with some other race, even the ones that "claim" 100% blood are mixed between tribes, and if they look skin deep there is some European in them.
                So, according to this good for nothing trolls, the only real N.A.s are from central plains going west???
                Just remember that the east coast has been the one that took the worst beating first from colonization!!!!
                ARay, you need to listen to your gmom, family and aunties that are in your culture the Haliwa-Saponi pow-wow is a good place to collect knowledge on who you are and who your people are and take it from there cause from these scum you wont get other than laughs and insults, they are here for that and maybe the WANNBES are them!!!!
                I rest my case.
                I'm sorry Paul G. it needed done!!!!
                Thanks, but I have to disagree with a lot of the things you said, especially since I have family in "shacks". It doesn't mean they aren't good people, it means they're poor. A lot of people online here are good people, and a lot of the teasing is in jest. I think most of the hostility comes from the fact that it's not uncommon for someone to come on here asking for advice, and then get angry when the advice doesn't match their expectations. People can usually tell when a person is not going to listen to their advice from the first post.

                I have to admit that I'm more patient online than offline. Offline I just keep my mouth shut because it just gets awkward when people don't listen.
                Cariblanguage.org

                Comment


                • #38
                  Shacks, well water, frybread and chokecherries. No wonder the folk from Pennsylvania are always hating. Must be their polluted water destroying their brains and culture.
                  Wanjica Infinity No One

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Mikjikjpipuqwes-skw View Post
                    Didn't soopashinaab, an Ojib, which it's a very well known fact that 99.9% of their blood is mixed with some other kind of race in the past to survive the N.A. holocaust, has the audacity to write, "I thought the Wannabes were a tribe from out East???"
                    So ARay, she, him, whatever, has passed sentence on you since the Haliwa-Saponi is a eastern tribe.
                    I am male and Ojibwe which is Ojibwe not some mix to survive the N.A. holocaust... Get your facts straight
                    I was messing around not passing judgement any one let alone ARay! Sheesh what's up your backside?? I was joking around which a lot of people do Lighten up Don't try and tell Aray what I was posting I don't judge people so don't judge me!! Thank you....
                    I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Mikilikipukequke,
                      You are right, the east coast tribes took a beating but the northern plains tribes did the fighting.
                      Wanjica Infinity No One

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
                        Mikilikipukequke,
                        You are right, the east coast tribes took a beating but the northern plains tribes did the fighting.
                        woo haa!



                        Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......


                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by wanjica_the_one
                          Wannabees can be filtered out by the following questions. What nation claims you? Who are your elders? Who is your family?

                          Very simple questions that wannababees can't answer.
                          I can't concur.

                          Often, folks reply with very simple answers that elitists won't accept.

                          That's NOT their fault.

                          Originally posted by wanjica_the_one
                          You are right, the east coast tribes took a beating but the northern plains tribes did the fighting.
                          Again, I do not concur unless you're saying that Pontiac and Tecumseh were just screwing around...

                          I wouldn't call the Ottawa or Shawnee "plains tribes." East coast? No, but not "plains."

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Zeke View Post

                            I wouldn't call the Ottawa or Shawnee "plains tribes." East coast? No, but not "plains."
                            Ottawa? One of the Council of Three Fires who went against the DLNakota and Iroquois? The middle brother from what I remember. Good people.
                            Wanjica Infinity No One

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
                              Ottawa? One of the Council of Three Fires who went against the DLNakota and Iroquois? The middle brother from what I remember. Good people.
                              If I remember right Ojibwe was the big brother Ottawa was the middle brother and Potawatomi was the little brother...
                              I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by soopashinaab View Post
                                If I remember right Ojibwe was the big brother Ottawa was the middle brother and Potawatomi was the little brother...
                                So, is Zeke telling us that he is a middle brother?
                                Wanjica Infinity No One

                                Comment

                                Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                Trending

                                Collapse

                                There are no results that meet this criteria.

                                Sidebar Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X