Email Viruses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Viruses

Several people including myself are getting emails with viruses attached from [email protected].

I've checked the server and my machines and nothing infected. I have found that the source of the emails is an AOL user. The person(s) are spoofing my email address to send out these emails.

Please be aware of this issues.

Remember to always run a virus scan on incoming emails.

Thanks
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Hi
    Webmaster, What kind of worms?
    Asema Is Sacred
    Traditional Use, Not Misuse
    Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
    OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

I think most of them are SirCam and Klez.

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I am also getting emails from my one addy to another addy of mine. I also have gotten an email from a place that said they scanned it for someone and it was infected and they put a stop on it, but that it had originated from that address of mine that I had never sent out! This is starting to bother me. I also received one from a friend that I know that has two addy's but never sends to me from the one. I just sent it as a forward and said did you send this and here they hadn't. Is there ANYTHING we can do to stop this?

This is the latest one.

[email protected] SCHEDLOG.zip (45114 bytes) DL Time (33600 bps): < 1 minute
        "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

I got bombed by that stupid Klez---I finally had to wipe out my computer and start over! Drag.
          Mom to Rachel (97) Rebecca (99), p/t recording/sound engineer. p/t web based business

Comment

We also got bombed @ home, had to reformat the whole hard drive.., they are also coming from chat rooms is what i was told:( :Yell
            "finding your best friend in life and love is glorious"

Comment

Klez worm and it's variants disables one's antivirus programs, i.e. Norton, McAffee, etc. It grabs your email list as well as any message links on programs such as ICQ, IM and the like (probably name lists from this board too) and replicates itself. It then sends itself out as a phony message with your name as a sender or the name of someone on your lists tricking you into thinking it's a legit message. Then it disables all your links and exe files rendering your programs and your computer useless.
              There is a fix available free from Norton, McAffee, et.al. , but once your links & exe files are gone they're gone.
              Get the fix and load it pre-infection as it spoofs the worm into thinking you're already infected and it'll leave you alone.
              The worm won't infect Mac's,Linux or Unix OS.

The up side to all this is that you finally get to clean all the junk off your hd. You also learn what Fdisk and Format c: is all about

All those in favor of immediate capital punishment to the perps of these worms, signify by the usual sign.
              Cat & Dog ...Another white meat.

Comment

These things are pretty nasty.

The traffic on my server has also increased because of it. There is one out there that uses the person's computer to try and attack web servers. The attack is for a Windows based server (PowWows.com is Linux). But the virus doesn't know and still tries to load it against my server. It is generating thousands of Page Not Found errors on the server!

In addition to Anti-Virus, everyone needs to have a Firewall like ZoneAlarm on their computer.

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

I went to do a virus scan today and got this (i have norton)

A required .DLL file was not found. N32USER.DLL

I was then told I would have to reload Norton???!!!!????

I have no clue what I am doing or what I should do... now I need a firewall??? I get overwhelmed!!!

:Cry
                  "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

Comment

The firewall is free and easy to use:

http://www.zonealarm.com

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

2 other things here real quick from me

1.) anti-trojan software

www.anti-trojan.net

It not free, but reasonilblly priced, and darn good

2.) Anti-virus software

www.grisoft.com

You can get a freeby here which you can set to automatically update at a time you know you will be online. We run this with Norton's and AVP which are both pay services and the AVG(freeby)
                      catches more than the pay for ones do together.

Comment

"Get the fix and load it pre-infection as it spoofs the worm into thinking you're already infected and it'll leave you alone. "

Actually, this is wrong. The worm itself generates a false email message in unpatched versions of Outlook and/or Outlook Express telling you to do this and once you've read the false message you're infected.

Go to Symantec or McAffee websites for correct info and keep your virus definitions current.

A firewall is only going to stop a hacker probe. Backdoor Trojans can hide for months before activating so you need to do a complete scan with current definitions before loading the free Zonealarm. Zonealarm will ask you if it should allow certain files/programs to run and frequently it will tell you that you've run them before or that you've visited a particular website so if you don't know exactly what the file refers to you may still be allowing a hacker access to your machine.
                        Cat & Dog ...Another white meat.

Comment

Great info....thanks!! :)
                          Mom to Rachel (97) Rebecca (99), p/t recording/sound engineer. p/t web based business

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila Manning
                            Great info....thanks!! :)
                            You mean you understood all that????

As for me then I must be extremely dense.:50:

So what do I do about my Norton since I can't use it now?

The up side to all this is that you finally get to clean all the junk off your hd. You also learn what Fdisk and Format c: is all about
                            :Thinking

AVP which are both pay services and the AVG(freeby)

Go to Symantec or McAffee websites for correct info and keep your virus definitions current.

A firewall is only going to stop a hacker probe. Backdoor Trojans can hide for months before activating so you need to do a complete scan with current definitions before loading the free Zonealarm. Zonealarm will ask you if it should allow certain files/programs to run and frequently it will tell you that you've run them before or that you've visited a particular website so if you don't know exactly what the file refers to you may still be allowing a hacker access to your machine.

:dontknow:

Comment

I mean.. is there a book "Virus Protection for Dummies"?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X