No announcement yet.

2012 PowWows.com Princess Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to say Good Luck to both Rozlynn and Amanda!! Also I am proud to see that all of us are in college education is very important and we all are getting it :-) Good luck again!! Have a great day!
    I don't doubt anything, but I question everything
    All I know is what I do not know and will never know all of what I do not know.

2012 Powwows.com Princess :D

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
      Recently we had a discussion on how to bring more "Powwow" people to this site, not just the forums. So my question to all of the candidates is:

How would you bring and involve more Powwow people or ndn's in general to this site?
      I think the best way to bring more people to the site is by making more people aware of the site. While I was ambassador last year I had so many people walk up and ask-"You mean there is an actual website for more information and ways of connecting to more NDN people?" So I from experience know we have to get the word out there to get more people online. As Powwows.com Princess (whomever is chosen) needs to be able to connect with all the people and let everyone know about the website and what is offered and what can be learned through this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolbox View Post
        Recently we had a discussion on how to bring more "Powwow" people to this site, not just the forums. So my question to all of the candidates is:

How would you bring and involve more Powwow people or ndn's in general to this site?
        As a Native myself, I can certainly guarantee that word of mouth is a good idea. I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S. and Canada. Thats how I found out about powwows.com. "This one time..." That's almost how everything starts. I also do shows for colleges and universities that have Native services on campus. So, my plan as powwows.com Princess, is to educate Natives to join powwows.com and what services are offered to the Indigenous peoples.

Comment

In Response to Toolbox's Question

"Recently we had a discussion on how to bring more "Powwow" people to this site, not just the forums. So my question to all of the candidates is:

How would you bring and involve more Powwow people or ndn's in general to this site?" Toolbox

I was actually turned onto this site a few years back for by my parents when I was looking for pow wows and they had me use to site as a way of advertising for my naming/outgoing princess special. I don't mean to pick apart the semantic but I would have to ask you how you would define "pow wow" people. Because at a pow wow you have vendors, dancers, spectators, organizers, drum groups, etc. As far as I can see, this website gets a great deal or traction with people. As for me personally, I have recommended this site to many people when they are looking for information.

Comment

Poll is now online:
            http://www.powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=62320
            New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Hello and welcome to the pows.com princess contest.

My question for the princess hopefulls is.

Since all of you are busy young ladies with school and everyday life . What efforts will you be makeing to be the best princess for pows.com ? Besides going to pow-wows....
              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

In response to Eagle Plumes Question

"Since all of you are busy young ladies with school and everyday life . What efforts will you be makeing to be the best princess for pows.com ? Besides going to pow-wows" Eagle Plume

I think outside of representing at powwows, I would make it a goal to visit powwows.com everyday to update my travels, post photos, respond to messages left my other powwows.com members. One way to reach out to others, is posting interesting articles, discussions, etc. to my Facebook page.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post

Since all of you are busy young ladies with school and everyday life . What efforts will you be makeing to be the best princess for pows.com ? Besides going to pow-wows....

Because I am receiving a college education and have to deal with everyday life, I can say that it is not going to be easy. I can give my solemn oath that I will be on the website everyday, responding to questions, visiting neighbors when I have a bad day, post pics, blogs, and videos from not only pow-wows but educational workshops I do with the youth. I also promise to keep I touch with everyone who is playing a key role in who wins this year. Aho for the question.

Comment

About the Poll

Hello!! I was just wondering how long the poll is going to be open? Just curious.

Comment

Good afternoon.....just wanting to know if we can ask the other girls a question?

Comment

Originally posted by tonepahhoter1 View Post
                        Good afternoon.....just wanting to know if we can ask the other girls a question?
                        I dont see why not.

Comment

[QUOTE=Zintkala Towa Win;1512593]Hello!! I was just wondering how long the poll is going to be open? Just curious.
                          It will end

2-29-12 at 12:40
                          Last edited by Eagle Plumes; 02-01-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Plumes View Post

Hey there, although I myself am busy I make every effort to get out in the community and spread the word, for example wow I was the Ambassador last year I told my whole TECTA class(Early Childhood) about Powwows.com as well as several of my other classes and the local community :-). I hope to continue to strive to put the website out there in some settings that are not at powwows. I also use Facebook and most all year had my sash on my display picture, as well as I took pride in telling everyone that I was the Powwows.com Ambassador and then that raises room for questions :-)

Comment

Questions for the contestants:

1. Do you feel that being the Pow Wow.com Princess has a role of learning about First Nation, Metis and Inuit peoples from both sides of the borders? If so, then how will you endeavour to learn about other nations and people?

2. If you could pick two social issues to talk about that are facing our people what would those two issues be and why?

3. How would you propose that we reset the relationship we should have with non-native peoples? How would you get them to see us as partners in our country's future?

Thanks ladies.
                              A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Comment

1. I do believe that learning about 1st nations, Metis and Inuit peoples from both sides is extremely crucial. Even though the government has separated us, we are one people and one family, who will never divided. I will attend every event possible to learn about their ways. I will also look at every possible avenue so that they may come to any state and teach others who are willing to learn

2. If I could pick any two issues facing our people, I would choose alcoholism and diabetes. The 1st one touches home, not just for me, but for others as well. I have seen 1st hand what it does to our families. It's ugly and destructive. It is a way for our national government to control us. There is a state and federal liquor store at the entrance and exit of every reservation. Because that is the way it is, people are killed and incarcerated and that is a way the government is killing our culture. Another epidemic within our people is diabetes. We are NOT genetically modified to consume commodities that are high in: fat, cholesterol, sugar, and starch. Our bodies were "programmed" to consume more protein than carbohydrates. So, as a sovereign nation, we must teach each other how to eat healthier and better, so that our people can survive.

3. In order for us to get along with non-Native people, we need to educate them about who we are, not just as individuals, but also as a nation. A problem is the fact that some people are closed-minded and will never learn. Our people should run for government, whether local, state, or federal. It would be nice to have and see many Native faces in our government. It would be a great partnership for us and non-Natives.

Aho for the questions!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.